Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Some reality needed
    This is a not very cold polar MARATIME air we have
    Its only capable of doing what its done to date
    So has what we got to date excited you?
    Thought not

John hammonds forecast there isnt that exciting for Ireland either,the feed gets cut off to us by high pressure and that jet is strong enough to even shunt that high away
    The Irish sea and the north Atlantic are too warm for to deliver anything other than weve had
    So unless you're very high,expect rain or a sloppy mess
    If youve had wet snow before, likelihood is youll see some again but nothing significant
    Most will see cold rain or nothing

Some sort of white stuff falling and I'll be happy. I live at the foot of a mountain so I'm hoping a nice walk from the house will find me some settled snow. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭highdef

Latest GFS run is somewhat of an upgrade for north/east midland and some northern areas but it's still not anything too exciting. Away from hills and mountains, sleet or wet (but not sticking) snow would be the most likely outcome. This is based purely on this model run.

Dublin/Wicklow mountains and maybe the likes of the Slieve Blooms look like they are likely to be in for quite a pasting though.

It's still very much a knife-edge situation and there is still scope for changes.

It may very end up where we are in the kind of situation where Mrs Doyle (who lives at 100m ASL) is telling her friend Mrs Murphy (who lives a few kilometres away at 250m ASL) that's it's an awful wet day only for Mrs Murphy to reply and say that she is snowed under with 15cm of snow.....although I'm sure she'd more inclined to say 6"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Should be an interesting nowcast situation between Saturday and Sunday according to the latest GFS

Rtavn782.gif

Another upgrade would be welcome though. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭dacogawa

patneve2 wrote: »
    Should be an interesting nowcast situation between Saturday and Sunday according to the latest GFS

Yes, it was a bit of an upgrade on the last run lets hope for another next run and a white Valentines day!

uksnowrisk.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Rte weather said rain pushing in on Saturday but showed snow falling over the center of the country but didnt mention snow suppose there no sure yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

patneve2 wrote: »

Rtavn782.gif

It's just a shame the displaced Azores high is never able to pull northwards from there . I suppose in these marginal positions it does go right sometimes, but too damn often the front goes too far north over Ireland , or it stays too far south and most places end up dry. I recall in December 2009 something similar happening, we missed out an epic snowfall at lower levels while the mountains got plastered for 24 hours.
    That said it looks like Sunday could be a day for snow for in the east, even at lower levels, in a potent north to north easterly

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Rte weather said rain pushing in on Saturday but showed snow falling over the center of the country but didnt mention snow suppose there no sure yet

They can't really risk panicking some people until they are sure and it is on a knife edge at the moment but if the charts are saying it 72 hours out...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I can't see snow near the east coast due to the modification from the sea. But some areas in the North Midlands could do well.

Certainly looks interesting, but I would prefer to be in north Wales!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Been asleep half the morning... outside, a real warmth in the sun then chilly in shade, but dry and crisp...Just a quiet breeze. Can take any amount of this! Peace....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Anyone know how Laragh in Wicklow is for snow at the moment.

I have a race down there on Sunday and i suspect if there is not already snow there will be by then.

Shane

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Certainly looks interesting, but I would prefer to be in north Wales!

Liverpool will more than likely get it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭pad199207

The father reporting a hail shower in Blackrock

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

pad199207 wrote: »
    The father reporting a hail shower in Blackrock

Yep, i'd guess graupel. I reckon east coast will see alot of cold rain and graupel in coming days.

Still not looking too shabby!

uksnowrisk.png

uksnowrisk.png

uksnowrisk.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm guessing a bit, as I'm down the road, but I would imagine it's fine as things stand - some of that route may have been affected on Tuesday and Wednesday morning, but the snow line had got higher by yesterday afternoon. The main R755 road wasn't affected at all.

Obviously that's just what we've had so far, not taking into account what may happen between now and Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

I have a race down there on Sunday and i suspect if there is not already snow there will be by then.

Shane

It's clear at the moment but it could be a different story come Sunday morning. My guess is that in Laragh (150m), it will just be rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

dacogawa wrote: »
    Still not looking too shabby!

For the mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

HighLine wrote: »
    It's clear at the moment but it could be a different story come Sunday morning. My guess is that in Laragh (150m), it will just be rain.
    The race route goes up above Laragh though...(guessing this is the run you're referring to Shane)
    image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

fletch wrote: »
    The race route goes up above Laragh though...(guessing this is the run you're referring to Shane)
    image.jpg

Thats the one. I suspect extra layers and my highest grip shoes will be a good idea. Looks like we get over 400m so well into forecasted snow territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Saturday has potential here in West Clare for a bit of wet snow, haven't seen snow in 3 years!
    Besides that, bleh.

Today felt like one of the warmest days in weeks, despite the low temperature of 4.6c. The lack of wind is really quite nice.

• Advertisement

HighLine wrote: »
    For the mountains.

And maybe a streamer or two... we can live in hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

SNOW!!!!! Yes... come on keep pouring!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Thats the one. I suspect extra layers and my highest grip shoes will be a good idea. Looks like we get over 400m so well into forecasted snow territory.
    Hmm I had planned on doing a long slow run at the weekend but the lure of snow may prove too much for me...might see you there Shane :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭noobsnow95

Always seem to miss out on a bit of snow here in Limerick, can't see us getting anything but cold rain this weekend. 😧

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Hooter23 wrote: »

In latest forecast which just aired the woman mentioned snow.
    She is a new presenter and she was good at presenting, probably filling in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Beautiful dry sunny evening here - but the fog was thick as this morning and I was surprised to see some laying snow on a high road - but yeah I'll take the dry weather now and the noticeable stretch in the evening.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Pretzill wrote: »
    ....I was surprised to see some laying snow on a high road....

Where be this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

A pic should be attached of Croagh Patrick on a lovely day here in Mayo. It's a phone camera pic so not the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭budweiser6

I'm shocked there aren't more comments on here considering this weekends possibilities... Is it me or are there some of the regular posters missing i.e maq, iancar, kermit?????? I'm afraid I'm a lurker and not much use to anyone, missing the discussions, chart analysis etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

budweiser6 wrote: »
    I'm shocked there aren't more comments on here considering this weekends possibilities... Is it me or are there some of the regular posters missing i.e maq, iancar, kermit?????? I'm afraid I'm a lurker and not much use to anyone, missing the discussions, chart analysis etc

Maq won't be back until the forum works again for them.
    I assume it's possibly similar for the other two too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement