Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Good morning from South Kerry 400 asl.. Calm chilly day. Rain during the night again but dry and grey now. The last few days the birds are happy! Watching a wagtail running up and down along the ridge of the roof, and today , the early song is loud and full. Yesterday walking round outside in the sun was sweetness indeed..yes I noticed no mention of snow on met ie.. ah well! Enjoy the day anyways in whatever ways there are and there are many....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Grace's, is that 400mtrs or 400ft in your case?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

So no snow in the foreseeable future for the East Coast I take it.

Heavy Rain showers in Arklow
    Probably snow above 300 metres

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the chances of seeing decent snow between now and the 1st of March in the east is probably alot less than 1%.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Current GFS shows the flow quickly turning too north of east for any significant instability over the Irish sea late on Sunday. However would think that the NNE flow would spawn a shower or two late on Sunday evening, might give a dusting away from exposed coasts. Winds quickly turning Northerly on Monday, which should be a beautiful winter's day.

850 temps

66-7UK.GIF?12-6

500 temps

16021500_1206.gif

850 wind

16021500_1206.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

The uppers are looking good in East Dublin.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

The uppers are looking good in East Dublin.....

Would it be worth going up to the Wicklow/Dublin mountains tomorrow afternoon?

flanzer wrote: »
    Would it be worth going up to the Wicklow/Dublin mountains tomorrow afternoon?

My guess is there was snow on the higher slopes today!

It was raining here (albeit not very heavy) all day with the temp between 2C and 6C.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭pauldry

Gonzo wrote: »
    the chances of seeing decent snow between now and the 1st of March in the east is probably alot less than 1%.

I wouldnt say less than 1per cent but low.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Gonzo wrote: »

So your saying there's a chance!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

A big fat azores high sums up the 18z.
    Roll on the Summer now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mafra

Just back from Switzerland and the weather there has been pretty unseasonal too. No snow at levels that would normally see plenty and even at higher elevations it was ok but not fantastic. Plenty of daytime thaw which is very unusual for this time of year.
    Was in Sierra Nevada last month and a guy told me he'd lived there all his life and can't remember a winter like it. Staff outside eating lunch in T-shirts catching the midday sun. Not good for business.
    Weather seems to be gone bonkers.
    Lost all hope of a wintery fix at home this year, again. Austria next stop. Hope it's ok there.

sword1 wrote: »
    So your saying there's a chance!!!

In theory you could win the lotto :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Grace's, is that 400mtrs or 400ft in your case?

I asked the same yesterday, but it's definitely feet she said it in a previous post, using 400 for dramatic effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

And there she is that 1% chance

gfs-2-216.png?18
    gfs-1-216.png?18?18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Outlook is very 'meh'. I would now like some sunny dry mild days to give me some hope for summer.

Yawn for a sleepy grey old day here. The skies changed yesterday from sunny with big clouds, through rainbows and drizzle...sun sparkled off the snow iced tops, then cloud hid their bright faces. And then the rain washed them clean of ice. Just still, grey and very chilly here, a sleepy old day South Kerry mountain 400 asl; feet that is. These mountains would be uninhabitable at those heights..;) They are stern, bleak old rocks that even the forestry are limited on,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

To those who questioned the lack of comment mid week on todays possibilities....anyway a typical grey winters day. Another weekend another miserable dark dank crappy day.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

Mt's forecast... possibility of snow above 250m eek I'm right on the brink at 260m south dublin. May need to head up to the neighbours up the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

horsefarm wrote: »
    Mt's forecast... possibility of snow above 250m eek I'm right on the brink at 260m south dublin. May need to head up to the neighbours up the road

Stand on the roof with your arms stretched upwards saying "nearly there, just a liiiitttttlle bit further"

horsefarm wrote: »

I think the 250metres will have to be more than 10 miles inland mostly
    Kilternan and lamb doyles mainly sleety rain
    Rte mast at three rock for wet snow

Suns shining in Arklow at the moment
    Models are useless

• Registered Users Posts: 33,747 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

High ground or hill snow is for locations above 200 metres asl.
    As WheatenBriar said, it is a bit different if at or near the coast.

Lovely lovely day out there now. Fair and mild and the sun a benison you lift your face to with eyes closed in sheer bliss and thankfulness. The back mountains still have snow atop...But yes, spring, sing the birds..Pottered around my tiny growing patch a while...seeing what has come through the winter.. Warmer out there than in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Met Éireann's forecast on the site shows cloudy conditions everywhere and the sun is blazing here!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Looks like that occluded front has stall over Galway. Been raining heavily for the last hour or so with no signs of stopping:(

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Met Éireann's forecast on the site shows cloudy conditions everywhere and the sun is blazing here!

Aye, mother nature has shown the forecasters (and not for the first time)today including MT who's boss!
    Lovely day here some sun but mostly bright

• Registered Users Posts: 48,209 ✭✭✭✭km79

Aye, mother nature has shown the forecasters (and not for the first time)today including MT who's boss!

peeing rain all day in galway as forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Dull, wet and cold day in Castlebar, only 3.9C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

Lucky for some, overcast all day here in North Wicklow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement