Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

From ME:

Tonight
    Rain continuing tonight. It will clear from the western half of the country later in the night, but will continue in the east, where it will turn to sleet or snow in places, especially on high ground. Temperatures will drop to between 0 and 3 degrees as rain clears with a sharp frost and icy patches developing.

Ninja snow for some, maybe? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Bloody freezing here in the north east, rain not to bad, on and off drizzly auld muck, but the wind would cut ya in half as my grandad used to say

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Bloody freezing here in the north east....

The wind -correction - ....the election posters flying in the wind ....would cut you in two here. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

I'd rather worry about that:
    From ME:

[...] Temperatures will drop to between 0 and 3 degrees as rain clears with a sharp frost and icy patches developing.

[...]

My morning trip back home could likely be skating rather than driving, especially after so much rain - I expect no icy patches. I expect non-icy patches randomly appearing on very icy roads. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,560 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

BBC says mild, wet and windy at the end of February whilst after the weekend, MT says dry and cold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭highdef

Could be very interesting weather early tomorrow morning in many eastern areas. Looks like another "kinife-edge" situation again as the cold front clears. My thinking is that this will be a high ground affair, especially if it concerns lying snow, maybe over 150/200m. Would like to be proved wrong though.

This evenings charts should shed more light on this evolving situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Knife edge but a blunt one lets be fair. Its bloody miserable out. As someone mentioned above yesterday was a fleeting glance at a decent day. Winters day but dry and bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Not Irish weather, but a stunning view of the appropriately snow covered Snowdonia mountains from the ferry into Holyhead yesterday evening. Rare to see them without clouds. Of course, camera battery was dead :(

Snow line appeared to be around 600 to 700 metres asl.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Have just seen the river across the lane; never seen it in such full spate and rising rapidly. No way can it get up here but a raging torrent now and half way up the field and still deluging South Kerry mountains 400 asl

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

Is there any sign of some dry weather at all? Or is this for us 12 months of the year?

Is there any sign of some dry weather at all? Or is this for us 12 months of the year?

My answer to that is in the thread Spring Weather 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Any dry weather at all :D the past few days weren't too bad!

I don't mind the bad weather today, it's productive for me after a period of better weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

13.2mm of rain so far in Castlebar today, 360mm of rain so far this year, over 1000mm in the last 3 and a half months, god I need a holiday :(

Xenji wrote: »
    13.2mm of rain so far in Castlebar today, 360mm of rain so far this year, over 1000mm in the last 3 and a half months, god I need a holiday :(

Anyone know how much here in South Kerry?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Graces7 wrote: »
    Anyone know how much here in South Kerry?

In the last 3 and a half months Valentia has recorded about 940mm of rain, of course that will vary between townlands.

Xenji wrote: »
    In the last 3 and a half months Valentia has recorded about 940mm of rain, of course that will vary between townlands.

Ah thanks Xenji.. I was meaning today as I cannot understand why there are no flood warnings re roads after the all day deluge up here. The river is raging. Fields are under water. Surely this heavy all day rain cannot be so local?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭highdef

Agreed. The likes of Kerry, Galway, Mayo, etc look like they've been receiving since early this morning and it's no surprise there is flooding.

Very surprised of the lack of any sort of rainfall warning by Met Eireann....not even a yellow warning on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

• Advertisement

This attachment shows my mean temperatures for this Winter and the past few Winters since 2008 / 09. This shows how warm this Winter has been compared to others.

Blue box = colder than normal
    Red box = warmer than normal
    Green box = average (though there isn't any)

Believe it or not, 2011 / 12 was actually warmer than this Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Somebody please tell me this icky weather is not going to last

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Somebody please tell me this icky weather is not going to last

The icky weather is not going to last.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Any dry weather at all :D the past few days weren't too bad!

I don't mind the bad weather today, it's productive for me after a period of better weather.

Better weather? Jaysus....

I want to emigrate asap from this unrelenting ****e.

Better weather? Jaysus....

I want to emigrate asap from this unrelenting ****e.

You'd sware this weather is unusual :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Rain here hasn't really got going here yet...1.8mm since early afternoon. Was very windy, died back a bit; mild at 9C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Snow tonight in Dublin and Wicklow above 300 metres if anyone wants to try the Aughavanagh Glenmalure road around 5am :rolleyes:

You'd sware this weather is unusual :P

Its just wearing me down season after season of little or no change. We all have our dreams but id love a Mediterranean climate. This winter has just felt particularly long Imo.

Its just wearing me down season after season of little or no change. We all have our dreams but id love a Mediterranean climate. This winter has just felt particularly long Imo.

The weather may be hitting you more than usual, the constant miserableness is quite annoying when you have to/want to do outdoor activities.

Personally I've been kept busy so when I'm not busy I nearly welcome the bad weather to relax, although saying that I enjoyed the crispness of yesterday morning and the sun of yesterday afternoon.

• Advertisement

The weather may be hitting you more than usual, the constant miserableness is quite annoying when you have to/want to do outdoor activities.

Personally I've been kept busy so when I'm not busy I nearly welcome the bad weather to relax, although saying that I enjoyed the crispness of yesterday morning and the sun of yesterday afternoon.

I am office bound all day. The weekends have been a disaster since November. I do a lot of early morning runs. Weather has been very unkind wet cold and consistently windy. If I thought we'd get a decent summer out of all this it would be bearable but realistically.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement