Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Once again, almost an inch of rain has fallen here locally since 11am this morn with relentless mod to heavy rain. After yesterday's almost summer like skies with the ground looking like it was beginning to dry up a little, today looked and felt particular glum and doleful. Haven't checked my stats but I think yesterday may have been the only dry day I have recorded this winter so far, and even then, my station still recorded 0.3 mm from melting frost in the late morn.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

All this wet weather must be good for something.

If some clever sort could come up with a way to bottle and sell all this abundance of rain that's fallen I'm sure that they'd mske a fortune ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭highdef

Snow tonight in Dublin and Wicklow above 300 metres if anyone wants to try the Aughavanagh Glenmalure road around 5am :rolleyes:

Would you reckon it'll be lying snow from around 300m? How low do you reckon there will be falling snow as the undercut of colder air arrives before the precip leaves?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

...... wait, scratch that idea.

It seems someone has already thought of it. It seems that there are plenty of companies capturing that market. Oh well.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Guys, does anyone know when this rain is likely to clear Galway?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Carnacalla wrote: »
    You'd sware this weather is unusual :P

It is. It's an incredibly wet winter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Guys, does anyone know when this rain is likely to clear Galway?

Looks like a couple of hours more before the fronts clear on the Western coasts.

22mm here in Tralee so far and still raining. Bad day alright, such a contrast to yesterday, ah well that's Ireland for ya :)

6.3C atm / high of 10.7C

RZVJeuo.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

think its going snow hard the next couple of days. taken the days off work to watch this and take shelter in my house :)

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

think its going snow hard the next couple of days. taken the days off work to watch this and take shelter in my house :)
    Put the crack pipe down pal ;0)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Are you in the Highlands of Scotland by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Reckon that rain will turn to sleet/wet snow at lower levels at about 3 am. Possible slight dusting above 150/200 m, a few cms above 300/350m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

highdef wrote: »
    Would you reckon it'll be lying snow from around 300m? How low do you reckon there will be falling snow as the undercut of colder air arrives before the precip leaves?

Yeah, I'd say it will stick at that altitude in central wicklow Anyhow if it falls there
    I don't think it will snow too much below 300 metres but at that height some isolated farm houses will see snow again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭arctictree

I'll be up feeding the sheep at 6.30am. Could be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭highdef

arctictree wrote: »
    I'll be up feeding the sheep at 6.30am. Could be interesting.
    What height are you at?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭arctictree

highdef wrote: »
    What height are you at?

250M

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

cold behind the front, 10.4 degrees in Castlebar at 3pm, 4.4 degrees currently

Light showers of snow forecast at Knock airport in the early morning (0300-0800), small chance just, but a chance....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Once again, almost an inch of rain has fallen here locally since 11am this morn with relentless mod to heavy rain. After yesterday's almost summer like skies with the ground looking like it was beginning to dry up a little, today looked and felt particular glum and doleful. Haven't checked my stats but I think yesterday may have been the only dry day I have recorded this winter so far, and even then, my station still recorded 0.3 mm from melting frost in the late morn.

Yup, pretty awful day. The only consolation was that I was working late, indoors, so didn't have to deal with it. My garden is currently a pond, and back roads have very bad floods in places.
    I came across a new stream flowing across one road and it was quite dangerous with all the crap it had washed onto the road.

down to 2 degrees now at Knock.....

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Carnacalla wrote: »
    You'd sware this weather is unusual :P

Not unusual, just a pain in the a**!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Rain here hasn't really got going here yet...1.8mm since early afternoon. Was very windy, died back a bit; mild at 9C.

Yep luckily no flooding but the wind was flinging it straight as the back windows all day making it feel miserable- especially letting the dogs out etc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Over 25mm here near Tralee and still raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Temp down to 5.4c here in West Clare and there was a slightly icey element to the rain a few minutes ago when it was heavier.

2155 upgrade....met eireann

Wet at first tonight, with some heavy falls initially, especially across the midlands, south and east. There is the risk of spot flooding. Drier conditions in the Northwest will gradually extend over the country but will be slow to reach the east where some wintry falls of sleet or snow are increasingly likely as it turns colder, especially over hills but possibly at some lower levels too. Temperatures will drop to between 0 and 3 degrees with some frost and possibly some icy stretches in the clearance later. A band of showers will move into the west and northwest by early morning - some of which may be wintry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very Heavy Rain here in Naas and already some big blobs of sleet hitting the veluxes

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

8 degrees here in South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Going to get some flooding around the house before this ends, been fairly heavy rain since about 3 o'clock and now the field is flooded

• Registered Users Posts: 48,206 ✭✭✭✭km79

What's the minimum rainfall for a rainfall warning ..........well over 20mm since noon in east galway

10pm reports giving Light Sleet at Finner Donegal.

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    What's the minimum rainfall for a rainfall warning ..........well over 20mm since noon in east galway

YELLOW STATUS RAIN:
    30mm – 50mm in 24 hrs
    25mm – 40mm in 12 hrs
    20mm – 30mm in 6 hrs

Yellow status according to Met Eireann
    :http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/warnings-explained.asp

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement