Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Graces7 wrote: »
    The feral has still not appeared after three days

If it has any sense, hes legged it somewhere hot and sunny

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

There was a snow-ice warning issued at 2am last night, valid until 11am this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭Macy0161

When I left home near Roundwood at 6.30am, (237m asl), no sign of anything other than cold rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

If it has any sense, hes legged it somewhere hot and sunny

lol.. he has come back now, hungry as ever.. He has darker things on his tiny male mind than sunshine... Not been able to catch him yet to get him fixed... But when a storm is due he always vanishes.

Just read MT and makes you want to hibernate really..adding extra coal to my shopping list... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Graces7 wrote: »
    Just read through post since yesterday afternoon. Oh MY! Lack of good sunlight causes mood changes of course...Just checked kerry cocotwitter and AT LAST they cottoned on to the fact and reported flooding.. Not seen the scenery yet today but there has been more and more rain overnight. Opened the door very early just to see and the cat shot in like a bat out of hell! He must have seen the light go on.. The feral has still not appeared after three days; they are wise these critters. Deferring any outing myself; very much " under the weather" so a spectator day...Surely this has to end sometime... PLEASE!!

Graces7, that's so true. I noticed the frosty sunny morning we had a couple of days back, how much better my mood was, then yesterday and this morning, back to 50 shades of grey, cold, rain, misery....mood meter is down again this morning.

I've really noticed this mood/sunlight thing this past two months or so....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Nothing resembling snow here; temp bottomed out at 1.7C as the rain ended (total 5.0mm since midnight - lots of snow higher up, above 300m- I'd guess)

Currently overcast, calm and 3.1C.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Limerick. 3.6c. Calm, overcast, steady rain for past hour, slowly clearing with a little blue sky to the West, but further showers lined up.

12715198_10206734394610748_7082705864119142624_n.jpg?oh=88ba692b0461de1e66853622b2b10b87&oe=572DCA463.6 C in

• Registered Users Posts: 48,200 ✭✭✭✭km79

can someone copy and paste this morning forecast please as I can't get into the thread for the first 3 days of a new page every time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,556 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

km79 wrote: »
    can someone copy and paste this morning forecast please as I can't get into the thread for the first 3 days of a new page every time :(

Wednesday, 17 February, 2016

Forecasts for Ireland

TODAY ... A mixture of cloud and sunshine with passing showers, a few of which could contain hail and thunder, becoming wintry except near sea level. Highs 5-8 C. Winds westerly 50-70 km/hr.

TONIGHT ... Clear intervals, isolated wintry showers, some frost likely with lows -2 to +2 C.

THURSDAY ... Continued quite cold and windy with passing wintry showers, winds westerly 50-80 km/hr, and highs 5-8 C.

FRIDAY ... Breezy, turning a bit milder with occasional light rain mostly in north. Lows 2-5 C and highs 8-11 C.

SATURDAY ... Breezy and mild, some dry intervals in south but frequent showers or intervals of rain central and north, highs near 12 C south and 8 C in the north. Winds westerly 50-80 km/hr.

SUNDAY and MONDAY will be windy and colder, except that the southeast may retain a bit of warmth to mid-day Sunday. Highs there could reach 8-10 C but otherwise temperatures will stall around 4-6 C on Sunday as showers become increasingly mixed and wintry. Then Monday will continue this theme only with stronger northwest winds developing. A mixture of cloud and sunshine with passing showers, a few of which could contain hail and thunder, becoming wintry on higher ground. Highs 5-8 C. Winds westerly 50-70 km/hr.

THURSDAY ... Continued quite cold and windy with passing wintry showers, winds westerly 50-80 km/hr, morning lows -1 to +2 C and highs 5-8 C.

FRIDAY ... Breezy, turning a bit milder with occasional light rain mostly in north. Lows 2-5 C and highs 8-11 C.

WEEKEND OUTLOOK ... It seems likely to remain mild although some guidance brings in colder air for Sunday in Connacht and Ulster. Highs will probably be near 12 C on Saturday and we'll say 9 to 11 C Sunday in case there is a bit of a cooling trend, although 12-13 C in the south remains possible. There is a possibility of some quite heavy snow showers in the west and north on Sunday spreading further east by Sunday night, and redeveloping on Monday when highs will only reach 3 to 7 C.

FURTHER OUTLOOK ... Guidance is rather mixed, if we average it out it looks like this -- slightly milder mid-week, highs 7-9 C, some rain developing, then windy and colder late in the week, winds turning northerly or northeasterly, slight risk of east coast snow streamers, and quite cold right through the final weekend of the month and Leap Year Day (which is a Monday).

This colder scenario will be if anything more pronounced for Britain as some of the days with northeast winds could have stronger gusts there. But in general it will be the same regime, a bit colder than normal overall, perhaps preventing this from beating out 1868-69 as the mildest winter on record -- that winter had nothing on December 2015 but January 1869 beat this January by quite a wide margin and it looks like February 1869 might repeat that. It does seem fairly certain that if this winter missed the top spot, it would easily finish second. It will be interesting to discover whether Ireland's winter beats an existing record, as well as how far back that might extend (in the case of Central England it goes way, way back to 1659).

The snowstorm we discussed for eastern Ontario and upstate New York hit and produced 55 cm of snow near Rochester, NY and similar amounts near Ottawa. It was mostly freezing rain in Montreal and straight rain further south, with temperatures rebounding as much as 45 Celsius degrees in Vermont (from -32 to +13) over the past two days. This storm has now moved into Labrador and will be southwest of Greenland by tonight. Meanwhile, the west remains very mild, and today the sun came out for a while boosting temperatures to near 14 C.

Please note, my forecast may be a bit late appearing on Thursday morning, I won't be "in the office" so to speak until after 0930h due to travel plans.

• Advertisement

tippman1 wrote: »
    Graces7, that's so true. I noticed the frosty sunny morning we had a couple of days back, how much better my mood was, then yesterday and this morning, back to 50 shades of grey, cold, rain, misery....mood meter is down again this morning.

I've really noticed this mood/sunlight thing this past two months or so....

It is a well known medical condition. SAD; Seasonal Affective Disorder. Many find a Light Box helps. I get it as part of the M.E and accept it more now. The "lux" quality of the sunlight drops in autumn. I start going downhill in August but usually have started to pick up by now.. google it.. Perfectly natural and normal. Bears hibernate! It was so obvious reading all the posts today.. The sun is out here now!!

Nothing resembling snow here; temp bottomed out at 1.7C as the rain ended (total 5.0mm since midnight - lots of snow higher up, above 300m- I'd guess)

Currently overcast, calm and 3.1C.

ONE spiky mountain peak is still defiantly wearing a snowcap...clouds coming across now..

Had about 2-3cm's of snow this morning, and its all gone, sun is out so hopefully will dry up a bit now

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

Just passed under this on the M7 going towards Dublin just past Limerick, temp dropped 3 degrees, exaggerated the contrast to make the photo stand out the structure of the clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

sumtings wrote: »
    Just passed under this on the moterway, temp dropped 3 degrees, exaggerated the contrast to make the photo stand out the structure of the clouds.

Smashing - looks kind of Mammatus to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

onmebike wrote: »
    Smashing - looks kind of Mammatus to me...

Yeah that's what I was thinking, they were much better formed to the south but couldn't get a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭lolie

All snow gone now apart from a little bit behind the hedges, nice while it lasted.
    Gorgeous sunny day out now.
    Had about 2-3cm's of snow this morning, and its all gone, sun is out so hopefully will dry up a bit now
    For some reason this came to mind when you mentioned about cutting the grass this morning.
    https://twitter.com/CrazyinRussia/status/696036621171433472

Light snow shower here now, thankfully it wont last long

Thankfully it wont last long

:eek::eek:

Carnacalla wrote: »
    :eek::eek:

Ah there's some heat in the sun now, it's pointless, november december i'd say let it snow, but not now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,164 ✭✭✭pad199207

Fairly heavy fall of Graupel here in Naas now

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭jon burrows

Light graupel shower in Blanchardstown

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

Ground turning graupelly white Dublin 7

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Snow falling in Dublin 1 !

Dublin airport reporting at 17:00
    Temp: 3c
    Dewpoint: 0c
    Weather: Light Shower Hail

Knock airport reporting at 17:00
    Temp: 3c
    Dewpoint: 0c
    Weather: Light Shower Snow

• Registered Users Posts: 13,556 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Heavy snow has come here as well! 3 days this month I have recorded snowfall

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

stopped already just as a light dusting forms on cars

• Registered Users Posts: 9,015 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Wasn't snow anyway. I got caught in it walking home

Painful high speed graupel.......

Grass in the back garden is turning frosty already, could be a cold one tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Happened to be walking along the quays in Dublin there @5pm and believe me that wasn't snow. Horrible cold hail stones. Nice and bright for train journey home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement