Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

3.3C here near Tralee, big wintry chowers of hail /sleet locally this evening, cloud cleared from the mountains about 17.30 revealing probably the heaviest covering of snow so far this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Temperature has plummeted in the last 2 hours from 5.9c to a chilly 2.1c now. (3.1c 15 minutes ago) I hadn't been expecting that temperature and was not expecting any snow tonight, but am now starting to think twice. Might even record the first snowfall of the year here in West Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Heavy hail and sleet mix, East Galway. Wind is biting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,164 ✭✭✭pad199207

Down to 0c on the spot now in Kildare. Cold one ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Very sad to see that m/e have a snow warning for everyone bar the east :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

will see how it goes, 4 degrees here in castlebar

STATUS YELLOW

Snow-ice Warning for Connacht, Donegal, Clare, Cork, Kerry and Limerick
    Cold overnight with scattered snow showers, mostly affecting parts of west Munster, Connacht and west Ulster leading to accumulations of 1 to 3 cm in some areas, most especially on higher ground. Widespread frost also with overnight lows of 0 to -3 degrees Celsius.

Issued:Wednesday 17 February 2016 16:00
    Valid:Wednesday 17 February 2016 20:00 to Thursday 18 February 2016 11:00

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

A snow warning for Clare?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭highdef

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Heavy snow has come here as well! 3 days this month I have recorded snowfall

You sure it was not graupel? Everyone has been reporting graupel in the north Dublin area and you're location almost at sea level would normally suggest that you were more likely to get graupel than snow

• Registered Users Posts: 13,556 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

highdef wrote: »
    You sure it was not graupel? Everyone has been reporting graupel in the north Dublin area and you're location almost at sea level would normally suggest that you were more likely to get graupel than snow

I never even heard of that word 'graupel' before this forum :pac:. It was snowing anyway. I saw snowballs everywhere - not sticking but lasting for at least 4 minutes on the ground before melting to rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

A snow warning for cork? Maybe the county, because the shield for the city still works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,164 ✭✭✭pad199207

Down to -1c here in Kildare now. Quite a frost already!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

Just moved the car in Lucan and dew was frozen on the windscreen. 0.1 degrees now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

2.6C / DP 0.6C here near Tralee, bright moonlit sky atm with some passing cloud, showers showing up on the radar all along the Atlantic seaboard, good possibility of snow :pac:

Dismal forecast for the weekend again with wind and rain and fronts stalling over the country, Sunday looks particurly bleak with a strong NW'ly producing very wintry weather. After a relativly mild day on Saturday set to turn bitter cold on Sunday. Local flooding forecast.

Saturday

ICZfdsG.gif?1

WvsJ55N.gif?1

Sunday

6T2yGQE.gif?1

O0AB877.gif?1

• Registered Users Posts: 48,200 ✭✭✭✭km79

Depressing

Some wet snow here now. As long is Saturday is nice I'm not bothered what it does on Sunday.

I never even heard of that word 'graupel' before this forum :pac:. It was snowing anyway. I saw snowballs everywhere - not sticking but lasting for at least 4 minutes on the ground before melting to rain.

I'm sorry to break it to you but from what you described, you didn't have snow this evening but graupel.

If each individual bit lasted 4 minutes, it was certainly not snow. Graupel is kinda like a hybrid between snow and hail but is neither. Google it.

Would this make put other couple of instances of "snow" in doubt as well? Would they have been graupel as well?

Some wet snow here now. As long is Saturday is nice I'm not bothered what it does on Sunday.

Saturday won't be nice though

I'm sorry to break it to you but from what you described, you didn't have snow this evening but graupel.

If each individual bit lasted 4 minutes, it was certainly not snow. Graupel is kinda like a hybrid between snow and hail but is neither. Google it.

Would this make put other couple of instances of "snow" in doubt as well? Would they have been graupel as well?

Well the precipitation didn't bang on my head like hail does. So that's another reason why I took it as snowfall.

Well the precipitation didn't bang on my head like hail does. So that's another reason why I took it as snowfall.

It doesn't bang on your head but it's not the nice fluffy stuff that we all know as snow, especially at borderline temperatures when you are likely to have large fluffy flakes. Did you have big fluffy flakes or "balls" of "snow"?

• Advertisement

It doesn't bang on your head but it's not the nice fluffy stuff that we all know as snow, especially at borderline temperatures when you are likely to have large fluffy flakes. Did you have big fluffy flakes or "balls" of "snow"?

I think I am aware from experience that hailstones do bang me on the head hard. They were annoying and painful. Sometimes I didn't have a hood so I had to just endure them and get an ache in the head (figure of speech). I don't want to argue or discuss over something so ridiculous anyway. So I will just accept it as graupel and let's leave it at that.

I think I am aware from experience that hailstones do bang me on the head hard. They were annoying and painful. Sometimes I didn't have a hood so I had to just endure them and get an ache in the head (figure of speech). I don't want to argue or discuss over something so ridiculous anyway. So I will just accept it as graupel and let's leave it at that.

I'm not looking to argue....I just think it's important that the weather conditions are recorded in an accurate manner. If graupel falls but you record it as snow, then it throws the records into disarray. As you said, you were not aware of the term "graupel" nor what it it was. You do now so going forward, your amazingly concise records will hopefully reflect the new knowledge you have just required.

Dramatising weather conditions is not something that scientifically minded people are interested in. We want to report and record the scientifically accepted classifications of different types of weather.

Whether it's graupel or snow, it does not matter....as long as the record is accurate, then that it all that matters.

Saturday won't be nice though

By nice I mean more than 5 degrees!

By nice I mean more than 5 degrees!

With rain? Not my kind of nice :rolleyes: dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

With rain? Not my kind of nice :rolleyes: dude

Nor mine. Looks like another depressing weekend weather wise ahead again although I'm not as convinced as some here about Sunday being a total washout bit needless to say it wouldn't surprise me. Like I said earlier I was I Dublin at 5pm and in city centre it was NOT snowing hail yes snow no.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Nor mine. Looks like another depressing weekend weather wise ahead again although I'm not as convinced as some here about Sunday being a total washout bit needless to say it wouldn't surprise me. Like I said earlier I was I Dublin at 5pm and in city centre it was NOT snowing hail yes snow no.

Well it was snow at O'Connell bridge at around 5. Started as hail, then snow and then back to hail

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

There was nothing of a precipitatative nature out here but I did observe some shower clouds looking North and a woman told me that a woman had told her that there was indeed snow "in Town" this afternoon - though I cannot confirm it fell on O'Connell Bridge :)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lenny5

Climbing Nephin mountain (in the west) tomorrow hoping it gets some good snow showers tonight at that altitude. Will post some pics if it decent up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

the top was white today (as seen from castlebar)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Graupel is basically snow. Just coated with a thin layer of ice. It's also more common at higher altitudes than sea level. The conditions for normal snow need to be met as far as I know.

(Hails a totally different phenomenon caused by updrafts in generally thundery weather where it can be warm at ground level but colder in the cloud layer, the water droplets freeze and then fall rapidly to earth. Can happen in July. )

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement