Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm a licensee, owner wants me to move out for the weekend

Options
  • 25-08-2015 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I'm in a similar situation myself and I don't know what to do! The landlord wants me out of the room I'm renting for a weekend so he can accommodate guests he's having over. As far as I know, I'm not getting a reduction in rent or anything for that week!! I don't want to start a fight over it but I actually don't have anywhere else to go for that weekend! Why do landlords have to make things difficult? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I would ask what alternative accommodation he has arranged for you while his guests are staying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Are you renting a room in an owner occupied house?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 teenage_queen

athtrasna wrote: »
    Are you renting a room in an owner occupied house?

That's exactly it I'm afraid, and Is it a bit cheeky to ask for alternative accommodation, I really don't want to start a fight or tension!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Split into separate thread as a licensee is in a different legal position to a tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The landlord wants me out of the room I'm renting for a weekend so he can accommodate guests he's having over.
    Push back, and he can tell you to be out (permanently) by the weekend, but maybe you should move out anyway. Is there anywhere nearby that you could move into?

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Push back, and he can tell you to be out (permanently) by the weekend, but maybe you should move out anyway. Is there anywhere nearby that you could move into?

The thing is I'm from Dublin but due to college and the job I've had over the summer, I don't live there anymore, all my family and friends are also back in Dublin so I'm alone in this. Thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

That's exactly it I'm afraid, and Is it a bit cheeky to ask for alternative accommodation, I really don't want to start a fight or tension!

www.hostelworld.com

Treat yourself to a weekend away somewhere.

Is it fair? No.
    Is it right? Probably not.
    Do you have any good alternatives? Your call.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Ask him what his budget is for your weekend away and plan accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

I would get out and use the weekend to find a new place to live.n

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I would be locking up anything of importance to me if I was in this situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ken wrote: »
    I would be locking up anything of importance to me if I was in this situation.
    I'd be locking it up, and/or bringing it with me. What are you going to do if they bring something home with them? Accuse your landlords guests of theft?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Have you already paid for this period of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

You're a licensees, from what I've read on these threads the landlord only has to give you 24 hours to leave but I don't know if your situation applys. Seems a pretty ****tty thing for him to do, unless you're a bad tenents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

If the house owner gets away with treating you this way once he will more than likely do it again. And you could end up having to get out every weekend.

I would advise you to look for a situation where you are sharing with other tenants and not with an owner occupier. It might be no harm going to Threshold or PRTB for advice. You have no rights as it is but it would be worth your while getting into a situation where you have rights.

The owner of the house would be better off renting the room to a college student who goes home every weekend without fail and takes all his stuff with him every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,278 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Have you responded to the home owner at all?

It sounds like a really short conversation.

LL: can you please move out for the weekend?
    You: no because I have nowhere else to stay.
    LL: Oh. Ok. Just thought I'd ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

or

LL: can you please move out for the weekend?

You: no because I have nowhere else to stay unless you want to refund me what i've already paid you so I can go to a B&B

• Registered Users Posts: 20,278 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

jon1981 wrote:
    You: no because I have nowhere else to stay unless you want to refund me what i've already paid you so I can go to a B&B

Then

Ll: probably better if my friends get themselves a B&B.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I'm in a similar situation myself and I don't know what to do! The landlord wants me out of the room I'm renting for a weekend so he can accommodate guests he's having over. As far as I know, I'm not getting a reduction in rent or anything for that week!! I don't want to start a fight over it but I actually don't have anywhere else to go for that weekend! Why do landlords have to make things difficult? :(

Jaysus I thought I had heard it all around here.

I have known many people, including myself, who have shared with house owner and I haven't come across this before.
    And that is even in cases where owners friends/relatives stayed over for matches, etc.

In fact in a fair few cases tenants or rather licensees and owner became mates and are in contact years later.

I would bet if you give in to this once then hey presto you will be doing it a lot more.
    Of course due to practicalities of life you may have to stomach it, for now at least.

I would definitely look for reduction in rent if you have to do it.
    Tell him you haven't budgeted for it and you now have the extra expense.
    If you have to work over weekend then use that as added reason.

Either way I would be looking for somewhere else and depending on how reasonable the landlord is I might be looking for payback down the road.

You money is good enough for them during the week, oh wait it also seems if it's good enough at weekends, but your presence isn't.
    It is a scummy thing to pull.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

hanna200 wrote: »
    actually most of respondents here are incorrect.

Yes you may report him to Gardai (police), yes you can report fraud and forgery. Ask police to write a statement and come down to the house and to contact landlord.

Be ready to take things from there i.e. have an alternative accommodation arranged and have a witness with you.

What are the guards going to do? What fraud or forgery has taken place?

The Licensee is a guest in the owners home, he has ZERO rights, while I don't in any manner agreed with what the owner is doing, he could just as easily turn around this evening and tell the licensee to move out tonight and the licensee has no recourse at all.

The guards ain't going to nothing in this case!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

jmayo wrote: »
    Jaysus I thought I had heard it all around here.

I have known many people, including myself, who have shared with house owner and I haven't come across this before.
    And that is even in cases where owners friends/relatives stayed over for matches, etc.

In fact in a fair few cases tenants or rather licensees and owner became mates and are in contact years later.

I would bet if you give in to this once then hey presto you will be doing it a lot more.

Of course due to practicalities of life you may have to stomach it, for now at least.

I would definitely look for reduction in rent if you have to do it.
    Tell him you haven't budgeted for it and you now have the extra expense.
    If you have to work over weekend then use that as added reason.

Either way I would be looking for somewhere else and depending on how reasonable the landlord is I might be looking for payback down the road.

You money is good enough for them during the week, oh wait it also seems if it's good enough at weekends, but your presence isn't.
    It is a scummy thing to pull.

I agree with all of the above. As far as I know the home owner in question doesn't have to pay tax on the money he gets from the OP. Unfortunately she has no rights in this case but he is being very unfair. Maybe he wants her to leave altogether and this is his way of going about it.

She could ask him to contribute towards a hostel or B&B for the weekend and she should look for somewhere to stay where she has more rights such as a house share with a lease. However I think he would tell her to fcuk off or even get out of she asked him for compensation.

The guy who is renting the room should rent it on a Monday to Friday basis to avoid confusion but if he did he might not get so much money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Where are the guests staying? in YOUR room? OMG!!

No way, get out and try find somewhere else. Only way now.

That is outrageous.

Hey guys, Thanks for all the replies, It's nice to know I'm not the only one who isn't a bit shocked by this. The landlord himself is absoloutely lovely and I've never had any previous problems, he had previously assured me that the room is there for as long as I want it, actually it's two rooms attached together with an ensuite so I have my own little living quarters with a nice sitting room and all, it's pretty cushy. He also let me do it up, so I painted the walls and hung up photos etc. The conversation literally was very short and to the point as I don't see the family that much as they're living quarters are separate. He told me he has guests coming over and he needs my room for an entire weekend in October. Unfortunately, I will be definitely working that weekend as I will be stating back in college.

Due to my age, I get paid 7.06 an hour and really can't afford to travel back to Dublin or pay for a hotel for that weekend. It's just not in my budget. I don't want to ask my mam for a hand out either as she is already paying all my fees!

I'm really paranoid about anything going missing, as far as I know, the guests he has over are lads from England. I can't imagine they would have much interest in taking teenage girl clothes, makeup etc but I'm really attached to a record collection and player gifted to me by my nana and mam that I can hardly bring with me for that weekend. I brought every one of my belongings with me to that house and I can't see me shipping them back up to Dublin somehow. Is there a storage facility somewhere that's not too pricey that I could use just for the weekend? Thing is there's another girl who's also staying in a separate bedroom and he told her she had to be out for the same weekend as they will need her room for guests. When I spoke to her she sounded annoyed because she also has to work at the weekend and suggested that we should get a reduction in rent. I feel the same but I fear if I start causing hassle I'll lose the 2 week deposit I paid when I moved in about a year ago. As a previous poster said, I have no rights in this situation and can't really afford to be throwing away money like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,738 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Just talk to the man. Thinking of renting a storage facility, etc. for the weekend is a bit premature when you haven't even told him you're not happy with the request.

You and the other girl should approach him together and just say that money is very tight, neither of you can afford to stay elsewhere for the weekend and leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

You have less rights but he can't pick and choose when you stay with him. If he wants your room then he is effectively evicting you. Speak to him together and tell him that ye will have to find new digs because of this. He may reconsider if he then has to find new tenants and trust me they are hard to come by. Threshold should have more info too.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Just talk to the man. Thinking of renting a storage facility, etc. for the weekend is a bit premature when you haven't even told him you're not happy with the request.

You and the other girl should approach him together and just say that money is very tight, neither of you can afford to stay elsewhere for the weekend and leave it at that.

That's not a bad idea, She has family in the area though so she's sorted for somewhere to stay. But I think that you're right and I just need to explain the situation to him and how it's not feasible for me to get out of the room for that weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Have you said all this to the landlord OP? There is no point just continuing to talk about it on Boards.
    Now that you've gotten advice and assurance from people here that you're not being difficult, you need to talk to your landlord, clearly tell him you've been trying to work out how you could accommodate his request but tell him of all the issues in your posts above in a reasonable manner and ask him what he proposes.

Frankly it sounds completely unreasonable to ask this of you, and I would be looking for a new place. I'd wonder has he listed your rooms on Air BnB...

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Have you said all this to the landlord OP? There is no point just continuing to talk about it on Boards.
    Now that you've gotten advice and assurance from people here that you're not being difficult, you need to talk to your landlord, clearly tell him you've been trying to work out how you could accommodate his request but tell him of all the issues in your posts above in a reasonable manner and ask him what he proposes.

Frankly it sounds completely unreasonable to ask this of you, and I would be looking for a new place. I'd wonder has he listed your rooms on Air BnB...

I'll say it to him then, maybe myself and the other girl could share her room and that way his guests could all fit into my room and we wouldn't have to look for another place to stay? I'm so embarrassed doing this though!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I'll say it to him then, maybe myself and the other girl could share her room and that way his guests could all fit into my room and we wouldn't have to look for another place to stay? I'm so embarrassed doing this though!

He's the one who should be embarrassed.

You need to stand up for yourself.if you let him do this once it will happen again. Tell him that it is not convenient for you to move out for the weekend. If he wants to take over your room, at the very least he needs to find you alternative accommodation and storage for your belongings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Poochie05

You do not need to be embarrassed. I know it might feel a bit daunting, but as you've been assured here, he is the one being unreasonable.

It might be easier if the two of you talk to him together but make sure to keep it all level headed and friendly. It might help to make a list of all the worries you have listed on here in advance so that you are clear in your mind. And also maybe have in mind what you'd be prepared to agree to so you don't get flustered when you are talking to him. Maybe suggest you could both share a room as a way of helping him out. But don't be embarrassed, you shouldn't even be in this position in the first place.
    I really think you should be considering looking for a new place though as this is not a reasonable request to ask of someone renting a room, so there is no telling what the landlord's reasoning or motivations are.
    Best of luck!

Advertisement