Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm a licensee, owner wants me to move out for the weekend

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I think this is beyond ridiculous!!!!!

Your landlord wants to give your room to someone else for the weekend???? Someone else to sleep in YOUR bed??????

Eh no way hosay. I'd be inclined to say eh no, I don't fancy anyone else sleeping in my bed/staying in my space.

But I think better, use the phrasing suggested by someone else: aww sorry but I have now where else to LIVE that weekend (don't use the word stay imo)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭fiachraX

Think of it this way: You've bought something - a service - from him, effectively paying in advance if he holds a deposit. You've bought permission to stay in your living quarters seven days a week - not five.
    You're correct that as a licensee there is no security in this arrangement, insofar as the owner can evict you at any time. However, he can't keep your money for a service you're not getting. So if you're not going to be in the room for 2 of the 7 days (29%), then you should - at a minimum - have a 29% reduction in your rent for that week, and probably more for the whole inconvenience of having to move out and back, finding somewhere safe to keep your possessions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Would he move out for the weekend when you want friends over ! He sounds like a numpty. The answer should be no flat out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Also OP, I'm all for people fighting their own battles but you mention you only get paid €7.06 an hour due to your age so I presume you're relatively young. You say you don't want to ask your Mam for a hand out, but maybe you should mention this to her anyway. No shame in asking your Mam for a bit of moral support on this occasion, it's not as if you've done anything to get yourself in to this situation, and the landlord may be taking advantage due to your age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

I'm really paranoid about anything going missing, as far as I know, the guests he has over are lads from England. I can't imagine they would have much interest in taking teenage girl clothes, makeup etc but I'm really attached to a record collection and player gifted to me by my nana and mam that I can hardly bring with me for that weekend. I brought every one of my belongings with me to that house and I can't see me shipping them back up to Dublin somehow. Is there a storage facility somewhere that's not too pricey that I could use just for the weekend? Thing is there's another girl who's also staying in a separate bedroom and he told her she had to be out for the same weekend as they will need her room for guests. When I spoke to her she sounded annoyed because she also has to work at the weekend and suggested that we should get a reduction in rent. I feel the same but I fear if I start causing hassle I'll lose the 2 week deposit I paid when I moved in about a year ago. As a previous poster said, I have no rights in this situation and can't really afford to be throwing away money like that.

It seems that these strangers will be sleeping in your bed as well ?. That's just not on at all. Do you have a video camera or a camera ? take pictures of your items and record collection just incase anything goes missing as you will have proof.

That is very bad practice from any landlord to have people/strangers to you sleeping in your bed and in your room of which you pay for. You most definitely should seek advice regarding this. You have rights, so speak to someone about this. That has got to be illegal. Allowing strangers into your room and bed, it has to be, also telling you to leave for the weekend.

Contact Citizens Information and ask them what rights do you have, they will be able to advise you... 0761 07 4000 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Bear in mind that if you agree to this once, you're setting a precedent that'll make him more likely to do it again.

In your position, I'd simply tell him no. You don't really need to justify it further than that, but if you want to, just tell him you have nowhere else to stay - that's why you rent the room to live in, seven days a week - and anyways you're not comfortable having strangers stay there. No need to be particularly apologetic about it, although of course you should be polite.

He has plenty time to make alternative arrangements for them between now and October. If you're a good tenant who pays rent and bills on time, he would be very foolish to ask you to leave over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 teenage_queen

Thank you for all your lovely replies, all the advice was really helpful and very much appreciated! I got in contact with my mam and she said I should just request it off work and get the train back up to Dublin to stay with her. She said that I can't really afford to lose this accommodation so I should put up and shut up, I suppose she's right as I don't have any other options as causing conflict or tension could jeopardize the accommodation which I need and was lucky to get. It's a shame the way landlords have the upper hand in situations like this though. Thank you so so much for the advice and I will be taking pictures of the room as it was (Thanks for that suggestion!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

If I am picking up the OP right. The landlord want to OP out for one weekend in October, it is not exactly dropping the OP in it. Asking him to get out at a few days noticing. Landlord doesn't seem to be being a dick about it. Op is a licensee after all. Perhaps OP can request those days off from work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Does your student union recommend him for digs? You know how most SUs have a list of places they can arrange digs for students?

If he's on that list - report him to the SU. They'll never list him again.

If I am picking up the OP right. The landlord want to OP out for one weekend in October, it is not exactly dropping the OP in it. Asking him to get out at a few days noticing. Landlord doesn't seem to be being a dick about it. Op is a licensee after all. Perhaps OP can request those days off from work.

I don't care how much notice I wouldn't want anyone sleeping in my bed thank you very much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

amdublin wrote: »
    I don't care how much notice I wouldn't want anyone sleeping in my bed thank you very much.

Have you ever stayed in a hotel? Think of the thousands that have slept in that bed before you.

Whilst it's not ideal and I don't agree with what the owner is doing it is within his rights unfortunately. At least there is sufficient notice given.

Personally I would be using the time now to look for alternative accommodation though I realise that's extremely difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 20,278 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Have you ever stayed in a hotel? Think of the thousands that have slept in that bed before you.

Lesensee isn't a night by night type of arrangement. Even as a lisencee, it's an unreasonable request.

The op doesn't even seem to have expressed that she would prefer not to leave for the weekend.
    Whilst it's not ideal and I don't agree with what the owner is doing it is within his rights unfortunately. At least there is sufficient notice given.

What if something goes missing?
    Who takes care of bed sheets?
    How often is this likely to happen?

All reasonable questions which op doesn't feel comfortable asking. I think a more formal agreement, like regular tenant/landlord contract, would offer and more stability and more well defined rules. Might be time to consider moving.

Completely appreciate that but renting a room amd paying in advance for that room for a month and expecting to have sole use of room for the month is different from paying for a hotel room for one night and moving on...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Still a licensee. The landlord could ask him to leave at 24 HR notice if he wants. Crappy thing to do. If OP is not happy best to find a new house share, one without a live in landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

amdublin wrote: »
    Completely appreciate that but renting a room amd paying in advance for that room for a month and expecting to have sole use of room for the month is different from paying for a hotel room for one night and moving on...

How does this work in this situation? Is the landlord expected to clean the sheets and room after the guests leave? I hope so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

So you have decided to go for the "Let's sleeping dogs lie" philosophy here OP.
    For my two cents worth in this thread I still implore you to consider the consequences in the relationship as far as the landlord is concerned... remember this can become the 'thin end of the wedge'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Thank you for all your lovely replies, all the advice was really helpful and very much appreciated! I got in contact with my mam and she said I should just request it off work and get the train back up to Dublin to stay with her. She said that I can't really afford to lose this accommodation so I should put up and shut up, I suppose she's right as I don't have any other options as causing conflict or tension could jeopardize the accommodation which I need and was lucky to get. It's a shame the way landlords have the upper hand in situations like this though. Thank you so so much for the advice and I will be taking pictures of the room as it was (Thanks for that suggestion!)

I'm sorry OP, I don't mean to be disrespectful, but this is terrible advice from your mother. You are being taken advantage of. If his friends can afford to fly over, they can afford to pay for accommodation.

If you have decided to agree, so be it, but I would be looking for alternative accommodation and move out ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm sorry OP, I don't mean to be disrespectful, but this is terrible advice from your mother. You are being taken advantage of. If his friends can afford to fly over, they can afford to pay for accommodation.

I certainly agree with the advice to find somewhere new: if the family have decided to do this to their lodgers once, they may do it again.

But whether to play along or not for now depends on how hard it will be to get somewhere else. And that's something that only the OP can know about the area that she is living in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Stay with the parents this time and enjoy the stay with the folks. But do tell the landlord how difficult this all has been for you, and that you cannot do it again because you have work and college to deal with and cannot just walk out the door with nowhere to go as you have enough stress to deal with.

Make the point to this landlord when you come back to it, but just call him/her offside and have a professional talk regarding this issue, because this landlord might try it again. Make your point and then leave it at that as at least he will know you are unhappy about this and rightly so.

Best of luck.

PS: ask your mother for new bed-sheets to bring with you as a person would not find it comfortable sleeping on the ones from a stranger, as if the landlord is going to clean them, I'd doubt it very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Due to my age, I get paid 7.06 an hour
    I'm guessing 17 years old and in college.
    I'm really attached to a record collection and player gifted to me by my nana and mam that I can hardly bring with me for that weekend.
    I'd advise that this not be there at the weekend. Lads over to Ireland for a weekend + drinking = lads trying to play your records.
    If he's on that list - report him to the SU. They'll never list him again.
    This. And if the SU were any good, they may be able to help you out, or know of a place that you could move into.
    5rtytry56 wrote: »
    So you have decided to go for the "Let's sleeping dogs lie" philosophy here OP.
    The "Let's sleeping dogs lie" philosophy can also be seen as acceptance.

Which can be great, especially if the OP doesn't mind also moving out next time there is an event on, and the landlord needs her room so that the landlord can make money having someone stay there. She did, after all, "accept" it this time?

=-=

The sad part is, as you're a licensee, you're damned if you do, or damned if you don't allow. My best advice would be to ask the landlord for storage space elsewhere in the house, where the lads won't be. Record player, records, and anything that you don't want going missing or being broken, either move them somewhere safe or you'll regret it.

You need to pick your fights, and from the info given, it's a fight you'll lose and either have to be elsewhere that weekend, or be kicked out of the house.

Someone mentioned ringing Threshold; don't bother ringing them. They've been giving out false and/or dodgy advice lately.

Keep an eye out for a room to rent; 2nd month of college will see some appear, esp after certain batches of exams. After xmas is one such time when rooms tend to free up, and landlords more negotiable. Two weeks rent is worth a lot, but so is your privacy, and hostels can be expensive if there's an event on that weekend (which I'm guessing there is in this case).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

OP, if you moved out for the weekend I hope you asked the landlord to change the sheets on your bed.

You would be well advised to seek alternative accommodation, preferably a house or flat share where you have more rights.

Hey everyone,

Just a quick update on the story. I asked the landlord would it be okay if I slept on the floor of a different room just so I could have access to my toiletries and get to work. I recieved a flat out no. He told me that he had 6 guests coming over and he would need my room for them but it was a once off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

And what did you do? Did you give in? I wouldn't believe him that it was a once off. If he gets away with it once, he will keep doing it. He needs to learn he can either rent out his rooms to people for extra income OR have his rooms free for guests when he wants them to stay, but no extra income. He can't have his cake and eat it.

He was very final when he said this, I asked was there any chance at all of me staying and he said no. His tone said it all. Dreading next weekend now! When I put forward the suggestion of myself sleeping on the floor of the others girls room so his guests could use mine (which is slightly bigger) he told me flat out no. The other girl isn't too bothered by this because she has family in the immediate area who she's going to stay with. But she did say she would prefer to stay in our accommodation and felt we should at least get a decrease in rent for that week or something. I'm literally so stressed about this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

If I were you I'd be looking for somewhere else to stay - as in permanently. I'd get away from this chancer ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

He was very final when he said this, I asked was there any chance at all of me staying and he said no. His tone said it all. Dreading next weekend now! When I put forward the suggestion of myself sleeping on the floor of the others girls room so his guests could use mine (which is slightly bigger) he told me flat out no. The other girl isn't too bothered by this because she has family in the immediate area who she's going to stay with. But she did say she would prefer to stay in our accommodation and felt we should at least get a decrease in rent for that week or something. I'm literally so stressed about this!!

If you roll over on this what's stopping him doing the very same thing another ten times this year?

It's an outrageous thing to ask, you're better off somewhere else.

Easier said than done, I think because the location is pretty good he knows that he can do what he wants and we'll put up with it cause we're teenagers living away from home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Easier said than done, I think because the location is pretty good he knows that he can do what he wants and we'll put up with it cause we're teenagers living away from home.

Well first, do not pay full rent that week! Divide your weekly rent by 7, and multiply by the number of days you're staying. Why would you pay him for not being allowed there?

Get in touch with your SU and ask for help to move out and find new digs.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

he knows that he can do what he wants and we'll put up with it cause we're teenagers living away from home.

Did nothing stir inside you whilst writing that?

OP, if you're happy to put up with it you deserve him. Your age should have nothing to do with this.

An extra 10 mins on the bus is worth knowing you can stay in your bed 365 days a year.

• Advertisement

Did nothing stir inside you whilst writing that?

OP, if you're happy to put up with it you deserve him. Your age should have nothing to do with this.

An extra 10 mins on the bus is worth knowing you can stay in your bed 365 days a year.

There's no need to be mean. Nobody 'deserves' anything so don't throw things like that around please. The whole point of this accommodation was to be within walking distance to save a bit of money.

Advertisement