Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm a licensee, owner wants me to move out for the weekend

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

There's no need to be mean. Nobody 'deserves' anything so don't throw things like that around please. The whole point of this accommodation was to be within walking distance to save a bit of money.

If you think that that's mean, you have a lot to learn.

You justified that your age was the reason he was doing this. I responded.

As for deserving, people make their own beds. Then they lie in it.

I'm out of here at the prospect of being called mean again... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21 teenage_queen

Compare two teenage girls to a middle aged man. Both are renting rooms, the man who is significantly older is more likely to be taken more seriously in this situation.

There is 0 need to start criticising people on the internet, If you don't have anything nice to say don't speak. I came on here seeking advice, which I got and that has been brilliant and thank you so much for all the brilliant and helpful people who responded.

I did not share my predicament to get told that I 'deserved'this situation. It is nice to be nice. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

OP, I don't think anyone is trying to be mean but you're coming across as just accepting this, even though you're obviously not happy. I know you're young and from the way you've been posting I'd imagine this is your first time living away from home and you're scared. But the world is full of chancers and he is definitely one of them. I mean this in the nicest way possible but you really need to toughen up. If you paid for a weeks stay in a hotel and they said nah, you can only have 5 but pay for 7, you'd tell them where to do. This is worse! Yes as a licensee he can evict you with short notice, he can't however charge you for a service or use of something that you have been denied.

I'd be looking for somewhere else to stay ASAP. It's all well and good saving money by being nearby but how much extra will you be forking out at the weekend for travel home or somewhere else to stay? Speak to the SU or any student advisors for help. Your mother, while she may mean well, isn't giving you advice that will stand you in good stead for the rest of your life. You'll meet some great landlords and some absolutely horrible people. You need to learn the difference as soon as possible and know how to stand up for yourself. I know it's difficult because I was terribly shy and awkward when I first left home. God help anyone who crosses me know though!

Hope it works out ok, please don't just accept this. It's not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Op the other poster is not being mean they are being realistic, if you allow people to walk all over you now then where does it end. You have to stand up for yourself.

Was the accommodation found through the university accommodation office/SU or did he just put up a random notice on campus? Its disgraceful what he's at, I hope to god you are taking all the bedlinen and anything valuable you have with you.

What happens if wants the room again like he pulls a stunt like that during the middle of your exams or something what are you going to do. He's unreliable and you can depend on him. You need to look for somewhere else to live pronto.

I still don't think telling someone they've brought the situation on themselves and that they deserve it is very kind though and there's just no need to say things like that at all. That's not the point. I've phoned my mam asking can I borrow some money for a hostel and some food that weekend. I'm giving some of the more valuable items to the other girl so she can bring them with her and mind them in her relatives house.

The accommodation was found on a student accommodation website that had lists of places near each university.

It got super tense and awkward when I brought this up with the landlord so I don't think this can be broached again, I've had enough arguing online and offline to last me anyway.

I think the best solution is to just take the advice that has been offered to me on this and search for a new place. I doubt very much that there'll be much going at the minute but somebody said to look when the demand dies down a bit which is sensible.

Thank you for all your lovely words of advice and encouragement. I really appreciate everything everyone has suggested and contributed. Thanks so much again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

two teenage girls to a middle aged man. Both are renting rooms, the man who is significantly older
    The accommodation was found on a student accommodation website

I'm a bit surprised and a bit uneasy that rooms in a single, middle-aged man's house are deemed suitable student accommodation for two teenage girls.

I'm a bit surprised and a bit uneasy that rooms in a single, middle-aged man's house are deemed suitable student accommodation for two teenage girls.

Unless he has a conviction, what's wrong with them being in a middle aged man's house?

Whose character would you trust? Look what nuns did in the Magdalene Laundries? :rolleyes:

He's actually married and is a really nice person, just apart from this incident. I'm not trying to shade him because he has been very welcoming and kind and asks how we are doing. He's a lovely lovely landlord really, just not where this is concerned I suppose.

He's actually married and is a really nice person, just apart from this incident. I'm not trying to shade him because he has been very welcoming and kind and asks how we are doing. He's a lovely lovely landlord really, just not where this is concerned I suppose.

This behaviour isn't nice. I'm baffled as to why you're accepting this to be honest. Perhaps other posters may have worded things in a slightly nicer tone, given that you're probably feeling a bit vulnerable now, but if you don't at least pretend to have a tougher exterior, things like this will continue to happen. It happened to me a few times with landlords. Letting themselves into the house uninvited to show prospective tenants the rooms (including the bedroom where I was asleep!). If I just accepted it and thought ah well sure he's grand really, he'd keep doing this. You should start looking now for somewhere else to live. Once you have a place (shouldn't be that difficult this time of year, the rush has calmed now) you should tell him you're leaving. Give him the minimum notice required. What if he pulls this trick again at the end of the year when you're struggling to get assignments done? Or in the middle of exams? He says he wont do it again...he shouldn't do it in the first place. Just because you didn't like his tone when you raised the issue, don't just roll over and take it. I'm getting really annoyed now. I kinda want you to send me his details so I can rip him a new one for you! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Does his wife agree with his plans for your room?

• Advertisement

Unfortunately yep, she was there when this conversation happened in the kitchen and sat there drinking her cup of tea. Her silence spoke volumes. I think I was fairly assertive when we spoke as I asked him twice and was polite etc and he was so final in his response that there was nowhere to bring the conversation next if you get me?

Unfortunately yep, she was there when this conversation happened in the kitchen and sat there drinking her cup of tea. Her silence spoke volumes. I think I was fairly assertive when we spoke as I asked him twice and was polite etc and he was so final in his response that there was nowhere to bring the conversation next if you get me?

I know it's difficult when you're shut down. Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't have asked, I'd have told him. You're paying for 7 days accommodation and you didn't agree at any stage to your bedroom being used by somebody else while you're living in the house and you're refusing to allow that to happen. I would be prepared to leave the house permanently though, that's why you should get a new place to stay sorted asap. You might find it's cheaper to live in a normal house share anyway, especially if there's a few of you?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It seems too late to be changing your tack now and saying you don't agree with it, but I would strongly advise you to say something along the lines of "I feel that you have forced me into agreeing to this totally unreasonable action, and I will now be looking for alternative accommodation, and I will not be paying you for the days that your friends stay in my room." And then actually start looking for somewhere else. If he does this once, he'll do it again.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

SillyBeans wrote: »
    This behaviour isn't nice. I'm baffled as to why you're accepting this to be honest. Perhaps other posters may have worded things in a slightly nicer tone, given that you're probably feeling a bit vulnerable now, but if you don't at least pretend to have a tougher exterior, things like this will continue to happen. It happened to me a few times with landlords. Letting themselves into the house uninvited to show prospective tenants the rooms (including the bedroom where I was asleep!). If I just accepted it and thought ah well sure he's grand really, he'd keep doing this. You should start looking now for somewhere else to live. Once you have a place (shouldn't be that difficult this time of year, the rush has calmed now) you should tell him you're leaving. Give him the minimum notice required. What if he pulls this trick again at the end of the year when you're struggling to get assignments done? Or in the middle of exams? He says he wont do it again...he shouldn't do it in the first place. Just because you didn't like his tone when you raised the issue, don't just roll over and take it. I'm getting really annoyed now. I kinda want you to send me his details so I can rip him a new one for you! :mad:

She is a licensee. There is no point fighting him on this. She is better off finding a new place first and just leaving.

OP learn from this experience and never share with an owner.

There's no way he can rob the deposit though? When I find a new place and move out I can definitely get the money I gave him back?

He sounds like such a shady character that I wouldn't hold my breath if he held back your deposit.

Op start looking for another place as soon as you get a chance, go back to the accommodation office and check notices around campus. People drop out of courses, change their minds etc so you never know something might come up. You don't want to be living with that kind of uncertainty of having to move out when it suits him.

Are you paying for rental for the full week or for just 5 days for the weekend he is asking you to move out ?
    Whatever about his friendly nice demeanour he is a complete chancer. College is stressful enough without having to worry if you have a bed to come home to!

Potatoeman wrote: »
    She is a licensee. There is no point fighting him on this. She is better off finding a new place first and just leaving.

OP learn from this experience and never share with an owner.

There's every point. He's charging her for 2 nights he's refusing to allow her to have in the house. If nothing else, she needs 2/7 of her rent for that week back. She's not running a charity

There's no way he can rob the deposit though? When I find a new place and move out I can definitely get the money I gave him back?

Only hand back the keys when you get the deposit in your hand. You can never be certain.

If he can kick you out for a weekend then there's nothing to stop him keeping your deposit. How much of a deposit did you pay him? Was it for a week / month? Did you get a receipt for it?

• Advertisement

Let us all know the day you're moving out and we'll send an A&P mob round to make sure he gives you your money back ;)

I wonder is he declaring this extra income to the revenue?

There's every point. He's charging her for 2 nights he's refusing to allow her to have in the house. If nothing else, she needs 2/7 of her rent for that week back. She's not running a charity

Sure, but he can return it and ask her to leave with minimum notice. Being a licensee leaves you with far less rights.

Potatoeman wrote: »
    Sure, but he can return it and ask her to leave with minimum notice. Being a licensee leaves you with far less rights.

Oh of course, I know that. That's why she should get her new house sorted as soon as possible. I'd love to see his face if he won't back down and she says "grand, I'm moving out tomorrow, I'll expect my deposit, g'luck"

groovyg wrote: »
    I wonder is he declaring this extra income to the revenue?

Its rent a room scheme, the LL is exempt from income tax once he keeps it below 12k.
    Oh of course, I know that. That's why she should get her new house sorted as soon as possible. I'd love to see his face if he won't back down and she says "grand, I'm moving out tomorrow, I'll expect my deposit, g'luck"

I think you are making light of how difficult it is to find places even to share. There are very few house shares available at the moment in cities around the country and then that gets reduced further by affordability, exact location, will they take in a teenage student etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

This goes against the grain if the thread, and I know very few will agree, but here goes: I know it's a sh*ty thing for the landlord to do, and I know she has no way of knowing that it won't happen again, but the reality is, the house suits her needs, and she has no rights as a licensee. He probably doesn't care if she moves out, Because he knows he'll fill her room no problem. I don't see the point of issuing ultimatums etc.
    i would probably chalk this one down, and hope it's a one-off.
    She can move out, to somewhere that costs more, is less convenient, could have housemates she doesn't get on with, and might not be as comfortable, or she can stay on a while, until it actually suits her to leave, take him at his word, and hope that it doesn't happen again.
    I don't for a second think he's right to do this, and I would certainly request a reduction in rent the week in question, but I wouldn't cut off my nose to spite my face either.

jlm29 wrote: »
    and hope that it doesn't happen again.

Different strokes for different folks, I prefer knowing if I pay for a room, that it's mine.

Not hoping.

I think you are making light of how difficult it is to find places even to share.

I disagree. If you read my posts, I've said to her to sort her alternative accommodation now. I didn't say wait until you've left and then worry about it. I do appreciate it's difficult, I've been a student too for many years, but the initial rush has eased, most if not all course have started and like someone mentioned there are bound to be people who have dropped out. It's easier to find somewhere now than it was a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

What part of the country are you in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

jlm29 wrote: »
    She can move out, to somewhere that costs more, is less convenient, could have housemates she doesn't get on with, and might not be as comfortable ...

This.

The OP has told us that she is 17. How many people would accept a 17-year old house-mate.

I did - when I was 32. Long story involving the daughter of a friend who desperately needed to move out of home, but kept not getting places in houses because they thought she was too young. It worked because us old-sters in the house provided the stability that the 17yo needed. But it wasn't easy - and this was in a "friend of a friend" situation.

Advertisement