Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm a licensee, owner wants me to move out for the weekend

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

The OP has told us that she is 17. .

Did she?

The only thing I can see is an extrapolation based on the hourly wage (which doesn't correspond to the current minimum wage rates and so could easily be a typo).

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/minimum-wage-levels-in-ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 21 teenage_queen

To clear things up I just went 18 and the wage wasn't a typo, I get 7.06 an hour unfortunately.

I think the best plan of action is to begin a search for a new place now as I need somewhere that is permanent and offers stability during term time, whatever about holidays as I can always go back up to Dublin during the summer and find a summer job there. I spoke to my employer about being brought up to minimum wage but they said that as I was untrained and had not had two years previous experience I don't go up to minimum wage until I turn 20. It's jammy but I'm lucky to have any job at all so I'm not about to go kicking up a fuss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I think the best plan of action is to begin a search for a new place now as I need somewhere that is permanent and offers stability during term time, whatever about holidays as I can always go back up to Dublin during the summer and find a summer job there. I spoke to my employer about being brought up to minimum wage but they said that as I was untrained and had not had two years previous experience I don't go up to minimum wage until I turn 20. It's jammy but I'm lucky to have any job at all so I'm not about to go kicking up a fuss.

Where in the country are you as was asked by someone else?

Someone on here might be able to help you out.

I'm from Tallaght but I go to university in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Come on Cork boardsies, surely some of you langers can put her up for the night???

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

To clear things up I just went 18 and the wage wasn't a typo, I get 7.06 an hour unfortunately.

Op firstly I commend you in taking on working while studying.

This is a horrible stress to deal with in your first experience of living away from home. If you plan on staying there, keep an eye out for similarly priced accomodation as people will be dropping out and you can leave with short notice.

I think the least you should do once you have left (whenever that may be) is make others aware of this landlords practices, certainly let the college know so they won't recommended them and also report them to the website for what good it might do.

Best of luck with your studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Jayop wrote: »
    Come on Cork boardsies, surely some of you langers can put her up for the night???

i was going to offer but im not in cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Different strokes for different folks, I prefer knowing if I pay for a room, that it's mine.

Not hoping.

As do I. But I also prefer knowing that the people I live with are ok, that I'm safe walking home in the evenings, that I'm not moving in with people who will steal my food and that no one in my house is going to be keeping me up all night etc. I'm just saying, that it's worth having a good think about!

SillyBeans wrote: »
    I disagree. If you read my posts, I've said to her to sort her alternative accommodation now. I didn't say wait until you've left and then worry about it. I do appreciate it's difficult, I've been a student too for many years, but the initial rush has eased, most if not all course have started and like someone mentioned there are bound to be people who have dropped out. It's easier to find somewhere now than it was a month ago.

The op as now mentioned they are in cork and that's actually where I was referring to with so little places. There are only 16 rooms in houseshares in the entire of cork city. Knowing the op probably can't spent very much on rent and knowing they want to be close to the university rules out most of the available places ans that's before you take into account the amount of people looking to take them rooms along with the ops age.

We had a room available in my house earlier in the year when places were much more plentiful ans not at what would be considered a busy time for people looking for a place. I had 5 or 6 calls by 10 am after the add going up around 8 and arranged 3 or 4 viewing for that evening and the room was gone to the second viewing. It must be much worse now.

It's not ideal by any means but I think the best course of action is to suck it up this time and stay living in the place they have which they otherwise like very much. It may well be a once off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭vagazzled

Hi OP- It's grossly unfair of them to just chuck you out for the weekend, I've never heard the like.
    But as you know, finding alternative accomodation is likely to be a nightmare- with working & studying and trying to fit in viewings.
    I would ask for a reduction in rent, and try get more for the inconvenience and travel.
    Also I would ask him to store away your record player & collection (after taking an inventory) under lock and key somewhere in his house.

A high enough % of students drop out at the end of Oct, to defer, so as not to 'use up' heir SUSI grant. Also, you have people who decide its not for them, and can leave without owing tuition fees in Oct. Put up a few adverts on campus looking for a place.
    I would just be afraid that he might ask you to leave now and as you know in your situation you have no rights. Your home should be your personal space. And ask him about the bed linen.
    Good luck with everything.

I agree with you OP. You're onto a good thing here, and you don't want to lose it if you don't absolutely have to. I also would be offended as hell if my landlord asked me to leave in the same circumstances (also in an owner-occupied situation). I know his small grandchildren barge into my room and play with my stuff sometimes, which is very annoying, but having moved twice in six months, I know a really comfortable life when I land it and I'm not happy with compromising, but willing to do it. Also, as others pointed out, he'd be able to fill your room in an afternoon so threatening to walk won't change a thing.

However, if he ever pulls this trick again, it's a totally different story. Then you really have no choice but to leave, for your own sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm a bit surprised and a bit uneasy that rooms in a single, middle-aged man's house are deemed suitable student accommodation for two teenage girls.
    Actually, you'd be surprised at how most places just say no to all 1st year students, meaning that these places are sometimes the only ones left.
    SillyBeans wrote: »
    There's every point. He's charging her for 2 nights he's refusing to allow her to have in the house.
    If she kicks up a fuss, he can toss her out with 24 hours notice. As a licensee, she has no tenant rights.

=-=

OP; as you know, you'll have to shut up and put up for the time being. Let the SU know of the situation, and that you're looking to move, as they'll probably have a room of someone that had to leave early, etc.

Most SU's don't take kindly to this sort of sh|t, and thus they may help you get your deposit back when you leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm a bit surprised and a bit uneasy that rooms in a single, middle-aged man's house are deemed suitable student accommodation for two teenage girls.

Slighting a large proportion of the population isn't acceptable. Disruptive posting not welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

The op as now mentioned they are in cork and that's actually where I was referring to with so little places. There are only 16 rooms in houseshares in the entire of cork city. Knowing the op probably can't spent very much on rent and knowing they want to be close to the university rules out most of the available places ans that's before you take into account the amount of people looking to take them rooms along with the ops age.

We had a room available in my house earlier in the year when places were much more plentiful ans not at what would be considered a busy time for people looking for a place. I had 5 or 6 calls by 10 am after the add going up around 8 and arranged 3 or 4 viewing for that evening and the room was gone to the second viewing. It must be much worse now.

It's not ideal by any means but I think the best course of action is to suck it up this time and stay living in the place they have which they otherwise like very much. It may well be a once off.

I'm not sure what exactly you're disagreeing with me on. I never said finding a new place to stay was easy? All I've said is that she needs to sort it now, I think we both agree on that?
    the_syco wrote: »
    If she kicks up a fuss, he can toss her out with 24 hours notice. As a licensee, she has no tenant rights.

Which is why I've said to sort her alternative arrangements now... by your logic she should do everything he says, regardless of right or wrong, just because he can kick her out, where is the line drawn?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

OP, did you ask for a reduction in rent on account of being turfed out of your room for the night? If you're afraid to do this then it's definitely time to look for somewhere else to stay. Did you speak to your student union or tutor about this? If this man is on their accommodation list he should be taken off immediately even if he has direct connections to the college (lecturer, professor, graduate etc.)

If you put up with this treatment the landlord and his wife will walk over you again and again and again. Don't be surprised if this happens again at Hallowe'en and several times over Christmas/New Year. They wouldn't even let you stay on the floor. Imagine if you have nowhere to go, you would have had to sleep on a park bench somewhere!

That house would be better suited to Air Bn'B but they would have to pay tax on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

It's a really scummy thing to do tbh. I was a landlord for a few years and had many licensees and never even considered doing something like this or even that it was allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

OP some of what I say may sound a bit tough, but I honestly mean it to be helpful.

You need to learn to stand your ground. It takes practice and it isn't easy, but you do not want to go through life being a doormat for anyone. I wouldn't have gone to your landlord asking him if you can sleep on the floor. You shouldn't feel like you're asking him for a favour. You pay for the sole use of your room 365 days a year, and as long as that's the case he has no place deciding otherwise. You should have been the one giving him a flat out no when he first put it to you.

It's all well and good trying to be accommodating and a good tenant, but you're losing out on rent paid for nothing and your wages for a weekend. I know the rental crisis is awful, but so is living somewhere where you're treated like an unwanted guest when you're paying good money to live there.

Start looking for somewhere new now. Tell the landlord you aren't happy but will accept his decision. Move your valuables out of the place while you aren't in the room. Once you've found somewhere, leave ASAP and let him know that the reason you're leaving is the fact he is an unprofessional landlord.

I understand you're stuck between a rock and a hard place but it sickens me that he can get away with this nonsense. Teenagers are more vulnerable and less likely to have money to pay for somewhere else to stay and he is taking advantage of you. Make sure when you find somewhere new that you say your piece (after you get a reference hopefully) and then inform the SU and the website you found his ad on of his carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

PM sent.

Advertisement