Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC English

• 25-08-2015 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hey all,
    Anyone have any really good links/ threads or even a book that will help me get better with LC poetry, essays etc, what to know for exams, key points and phrases and so on? Is "Poetry now" good, I haven't looked at it yet? Also I'd like to build up my vocabulary! Tips or good points to get ready for exams HL would be appreciated, thanks :)
    I'm just doing some work now before I go back to 6th year, just a we head start!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Read books. All styles, from all eras. Read classics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

It'd be great to read the biographies of your poets to get some background info on them! Read your single text and comparative texts too if you get the chance.

Spurious is spot on about reading lots and lots. You'll surely find different books you'll have an interest in and just read them! Even a chapter or two a night! It'll help you out a lot. The classics are actually much better than you'd expect :p Give them a chance!

A good way to build up your vocabulary would be to take a look at the vocabulary required for the SAT tests. They'd be at quite a high level of English and would be of huge use to any Leaving Cert student. These are a few of them: http://www.majortests.com/sat/wordlist.php Take a few words a day and try to work them into a sentence or your school work or somewhere so they'll stick with you!

Best of Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Seanmul89

Thanks guys :).. its one thing i never really done was read books.. Probably the main reason why im looking for tips for LC english lol.
    Do any of you reckon if you think your english isn't the best now, will i be ready for the Higher English come next June?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭tr0llface

best book i got was english key notes by folens they have a new edition every year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Seanmul89 wrote: »
    Thanks guys :).. its one thing i never really done was read books.. Probably the main reason why im looking for tips for LC english lol.
    Do any of you reckon if you think your english isn't the best now, will i be ready for the Higher English come next June?

Definitely! Every time you read good English your own fluency will improve. Try reading a book now before you go back to school. Maybe try to see if there is a book of some film you like (you'll soon see that the books are 99% of the time better!). It'd be a place to start at least!
    tr0llface wrote: »
    best book i got was english key notes by folens they have a new edition every year

Just an FYI 'Key Notes for English' is published by Mentor Books not Folens :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

*did
    Sorry I had to, on a thread about improving your English.
    Examiners won't look kindly on not getting the basics right.
    You'd be surprised how many people focus on complex things without getting the simple things right first. This is important in English.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It was not unusual in the relatively recent past for teenagers to read a minimum of one book a week. This was apart from any schoolbooks.

Reading good English teaches good grammar, interesting ways of writing dialogue, how to write descriptively etc.. You can learn how to write different speech patterns, use punctuation properly and effectively, all things that will make your exam answers clearer and more effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Do You Even Squat

Dont buy notes online. I did for the comparative and some of the poetry and i think i did really poorly in both. i got a C2 overall. it was my back up subject anyway. just go with what your teacher says. also, make sure you have a good book that deals with the paper 1. i learnt off a short story which didnt fit with the title which also messed up my grade

Dont buy notes online. I did for the comparative and some of the poetry and i think i did really poorly in both. i got a C2 overall. it was my back up subject anyway. just go with what your teacher says. also, make sure you have a good book that deals with the paper 1. i learnt off a short story which didnt fit with the title which also messed up my grade

What sort of book should I have? Would any of you recommend a good book to read? I started reading The Art of War, not so relevant to LC paper

What sort of book should I have? Would any of you recommend a good book to read? I started reading The Art of War, not so relevant to LC paper

But relevant to life, which is more important.

I have no idea what book would help for Paper One - I am of the age where we made up our exam answers and essays on the day, in the exam. Reading will help with comprehension, especially if you read books from an older age, when people used a wider vocabulary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Hey all,
    Anyone have any really good links/ threads or even a book that will help me get better with LC poetry, essays etc, what to know for exams, key points and phrases and so on? Is "Poetry now" good, I haven't looked at it yet? Also I'd like to build up my vocabulary! Tips or good points to get ready for exams HL would be appreciated, thanks :)
    I'm just doing some work now before I go back to 6th year, just a we head start!

Ive a good idea, Ordinary level

spurious wrote: »
    But relevant to life, which is more important.

I have no idea what book would help for Paper One - I am of the age where we made up our exam answers and essays on the day, in the exam. Reading will help with comprehension, especially if you read books from an older age, when people used a wider vocabulary.

True, I am 26 also, so i should be ok, just seeing what others think, recent leaving cert students, 10 years im out of school..
    Cheers :)

Ive a good idea, Ordinary level

Thanks ;)

Advertisement