Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this combo any good?

• 25-08-2015 7:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭

Is this combo any good. http://www.tackledirectireland.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1026 it says it's mid to tip action is this the same as medium fast action. I was reason we lose a lot of fish on fast or medium fast as it is stiff and kinda pings the fly out of their mouth. Is this wrong or is it only fast action that does that. Would medium be better instead of medium fast. Would the rod be any good?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Olwas, That's not a great outfit. You are new to fly fishing. Stick with what you have. It takes time to master fly fishing and it is not ideal to get too caught up in blaming the gear. Don't take this the wrong way but pinging the fly out of a fish's mouth is more down to the strike technique than the rod. As I said, it takes time to master all the aspects of fly fishing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭Olwas2014

Olwas, That's not a great outfit. You are new to fly fishing. Stick with what you have. It takes time to master fly fishing and it is not ideal to get too caught up in blaming the gear. Don't take this the wrong way but pinging the fly out of a fish's mouth is more down to the strike technique than the rod. As I said, it takes time to master all the aspects of fly fishing.

I was out with a guide on lough currane on Saturday and he said my rod was too light and short for loch fishing. There was a no of wind and my line got taken all over the place while he was trying my rod but his 7 weight was going out straight. He said the 7 weight is better if there's a bit of wind. So I am looking for a 10' #7 rod.

I'll still keep the rod I have for dry fly fishig on a calmer day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Olwas2014 wrote: »
    I was out with a guide on lough currane on Saturday and he said my rod was too light and short for loch fishing. There was a no of wind and my line got taken all over the place while he was trying my rod but his 7 weight was going out straight. He said the 7 weight is better if there's a bit of wind. So I am looking for a 10' #7 rod

Here we go again, will you be out on the boat on big loughs all the time? If not then there's no point in buying a rod, if you are get Shakespeare rod any there all good, pair that up with a barrio fly line I heard there excellent for the price, and get cheapish reel, like a wychwood trufly reel I have one lovely for a good price look I'd stay away from the salmon for a while atleast, there a whole different ball game, wait till you master the single hand rods and casting, anyways salmon equipment is fairly expensive like flys and that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I was out with a guide on lough currane on Saturday and he said my rod was too light and short for loch fishing. There was a no of wind and my line got taken all over the place while he was trying my rod but his 7 weight was going out straight. He said the 7 weight is better if there's a bit of wind. So I am looking for a 10' #7 rod.

That's completely different to what you said.

Even so, that gear is not great. How often will yo be out on a lake and after what? Can I suggest you stick to one type of fly fishing until you get the hang of it. Trout or salmon, river or lake. Pick and stick for a while. This fly game takes a while to master and it is harder if you swap and change all the time.
    If you are going for a lake set up them you'll need something better than that deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

It's not the rod dude. It's the angler. Bad worker blames his tools and all that.
    It's just lack of experience is all and you'll get there but don't be blaming the rod.
    The more you keep at it the more you'll learn your mistakes. I know a lad who fished for the irish senior fly team an he gave me loads of advice and I soon found my mistakes fairly sharpish but even he would tell me no matter how long your fly fishing you learn something new all the time and everyday is different, every take is different an every fish is different.
    Striking a millisecond to soon or two late can be the turn of losing a fish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Lads, if he's going to be doing any lough fishing he will need a 10' 7wt rod or similar to be able to enjoy it properly. Agree he needs to master it first, but no harm having the right rod for the job when he is lough fishing. Olwas, the rod linked is not great - mid to tip action will not allow big enough loops to fish a team of wet flies, you'll get tight loops that will cause tangles if fishing more than one fly. Look for a rod with a more through action. A softer rod makes it harder to pull the fly out of the fish's mouth when striking too.

I agree but still I'd limit to trout for while then go on to salmon, salmon fishing is so different compared to trout, here's a nice wee fly rod for a reasonable price http://www.fishingmegastore.com/shakespeare-agility-fly~14069.html
    Again Shakespeare there the best bang for the buck rods out there, atleast stick with Shakespeare, that kit is a big no, not suited for that type of fishing imo, I caught my first ever salmon this year on a 9' #6 some fight, look there's no point getting it now wait till next year!

Tight lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭Olwas2014

I agree but still I'd limit to trout for while then go on to salmon, salmon fishing is so different compared to trout, here's a nice wee fly rod for a reasonable price http://www.fishingmegastore.com/shakespeare-agility-fly~14069.html
    Again Shakespeare there the best bang for the buck rods out there, atleast stick with Shakespeare, that kit is a big no, not suited for that type of fishing imo, I caught my first ever salmon this year on a 9' #6 some fight, look there's no point getting it now wait till next year!

Tight lines.

Look with my rod any tad wind in my lake I fish often takes the line. I am getting a heavier rod for that purpose.

An I am sticking with trout who said salmon?

Look with my rod any tad wind in my lake I fish often takes the line. I am getting a heavier rod for that purpose.

An I am sticking with trout who said salmon?

Well I thought you'd be starting for salmon as lough currane is famous salmon and sea trout lough, honestly for the brown trout get a #6 10ft as the #7 would kill the fight of the Brown, and I could handle a salmon.

Advertisement