Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pasteis de Nata Dublin

Options
  • 25-08-2015 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone can recommend somewhere to get decent pasteis de nata in Dublin - city centre ideally. Even better if it's a bakery so they could be taken home rather than a cafe, but all suggestions welcome.

I don't see anything up to date on google but some mentions that Butler's and Insomnia did them in the past - is this still the case?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Yes Insomnia had them on occasion, they used to have them in Nando's for desserts too. All baked from frozen I'm afraid, not a patch on the real thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

I bought some in Butlers (Blanchardstown Shopping Centre) in January if that's any use, they were pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Oxmantown, just on the luas tracks if you turn off Capel Street by the Boar's Head. Not sure if they have them all the time but when they do they are unbelieveable bites of wondrousness.

11146101_841644772598278_2558115092726237285_n.jpg?oh=43ee857dffc348e1b9614227bd337dfc&oe=56672291

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I think I'm in love with these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Oxmantown, just on the luas tracks if you turn off Capel Street by the Boar's Head. Not sure if they have them all the time but when they do they are unbelieveable bites of wondrousness.

Is the shop called Oxmantown?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

They definitely sell them in Butlers, at least in the one in Heuston.
    They used to sell them in Nando's too.

feargale wrote: »
    Is the shop called Oxmantown?

Yes, although I'm not 100% there's a sign on it come to think. It's a small grey place on a corner. On the same side of the road as the fishing shop

They are actually very easy to make... You need a muffin tin and shop bought roll out pastry. Custard is all you need to make yourself. I'm not much of a baker but they came out great, much better that Insomnia or Nando's version.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Yes, although I'm not 100% there's a sign on it come to think.
    The name is written in the window. Website here. I've never been in but it seems very popular any time I pass.

BeerNut wrote: »
    I've never been in but it seems very popular any time I pass.

It's lovely, well worth grabbing a take out coffee from even. Really very good food, coffee and they do little tiny sweet treats so you can almost pass them off as a healthy choice you've made for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

The ones from Oxmantown look amazing! Pity it's hours don't really suit - closed by 4 and at weekends. I probably won't get to it.

I'll check out Butler's. More bakeries should do them though, there's nothing like them.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

mhge wrote: »
    They are actually very easy to make... You need a muffin tin and shop bought roll out pastry. Custard is all you need to make yourself. I'm not much of a baker but they came out great, much better that Insomnia or Nando's version.

Have you got a recipe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Taboola wrote: »
    Have you got a recipe?

Just make sure the pastry you buy is "all butter". The other stuff tastes rank.

Taboola wrote: »
    Have you got a recipe?

I used this one, quick and easy:
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1812636/portugese-custard-tarts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Just wondering if anyone can recommend somewhere to get decent pasteis de nata in Dublin - city centre ideally. Even better if it's a bakery so they could be taken home rather than a cafe, but all suggestions welcome.

I don't see anything up to date on google but some mentions that Butler's and Insomnia did them in the past - is this still the case?

Thanks

The Wintergarden Café in the National Gallery of Ireland on Clare Street has them! And the coffee is surprisingly good there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Every Nandos has them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Every Nandos has them.

Can you buy them to take away? Nandos is not somewhere I would eat but I'd like to try them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Can you buy them to take away? Nandos is not somewhere I would eat but I'd like to try them.

Yes you can order takeaway at Nandos. Even order online too

https://takeaway.nandos.ie/Menu/Desserts

• Registered Users Posts: 1 vinnie1985

There is some authentic Pasteis de Nata in Blackrock Market, on Saturdays and Sundays.
    they're just perfect.

Advertisement