Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish tourist has a run in with some Turkish shopkeepers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

He lands one serious haymaker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

lol.. Apparently "Irishman" (Irlandali) is top trending in Turkey. And even they are singing the guy's praises

http://trends24.in/turkey/

Ya its top in turkey , and tenth in the world if my twitter machine is right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Hidalgo wrote: »
    He lands one serious haymaker.
    Gotta love the haymakers, they rarely land but when they do BOOM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

doolox wrote: »
    I was there in June of this year off a cruise ship. Nothing but hassle and done royally by a taxi driver on the way back to the boat. Taxi cost €10 on the way into town and nearly €50 on the way out due to "traffic".

My wife was also done being accused of handing the bent taxi driver 5 turkish lira instead of €50, the colours are the same.

Some of the Turks are very nasty conmen and others are at pains to point out that we are all "brothers".

No one gets left alone and in peace in this hell on Earth.

I was there, never again. NEVER.

But until you see it, say Istanbul and the resorts it is hard to comment on a short visit.

But I don't think it matters.

It is a kip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Can't understand the hate toward Turkey myself. I went there for a month once and travelled around Istanbul, parts of the coast and also to the far east of the country in Kurdistan. I never had the slightest scrap of bother and the Turks and Kurds I met were unfailingly hospitable, polite and would bend over backwards to help. That having been said, I didn't go near resort type places.

FTA69 wrote: »
    Can't understand the hate toward Turkey myself. I went there for a month once and travelled around Istanbul, parts of the coast and also to the far east of the country in Kurdistan. I never had the slightest scrap of bother and the Turks and Kurds I met were unfailingly hospitable, polite and would bend over backwards to help. That having been said, I didn't go near resort type places.

I think that is the problem right there. The resorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Looks more like Diego Maradona than an Irish tourist

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Rackstar wrote: »

He could have the Armada gene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I find most Turkish service workers to be a bunch of stick arsed ****ers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

He looks like a pikey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

Rackstar wrote: »

Diego Maradona has left the stage. But not the theater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Who? Maradona?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Omackeral wrote: »
    2/10 at best.

Ya I know. Room to improve for definite.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

Pkiernan wrote: »
    He looks like a pikey.

But he was buying water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

This cracked me up!:D:D Excellent!

• Advertisement

FTA69 wrote: »

I think the reality is you didn't go near the resorts.

Kips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

knird evol wrote: »
    But he was buying water.

Ha! More than some of us over here do.

Fair f*cks to him!!!!

The Irish Bruce Lee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Respectable effort, valid purely on grounds of self-defense.

He's fairly lucky though, some of those chaps are fond of waving large meat cleavers rather than just sticks.

Seen nearly a dozen leap over the counter in a kebab shop once when a drunken fella threw a chip back at them once, he soon sobered up and (wisely) did a bolt type 100m performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Them lads probably heard about us Irish not paying for water so decide to take preemptive action on him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

BMJD wrote: »
    Them lads probably heard about us Irish not paying for water so decide to take preemptive action on him

This has to be post of the day. Brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Kinda looked like a scene form the walking dead:D

All the Turkish shopkeeper men.

Not getting enough ya know. So have to get rid of the frustration somewhere.

And the only woman I can see is with the man who let the bottles drop. He is Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

They don't seem to give two fcuks about their tourist industry if they'll go to violence over a few plastic bottles falling out of a wobbly fridge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

wonder will he be interviewed on liveline?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 647 ✭✭✭RichardCeann

Turkish article in English on the incident:
    Angered at an Irish tourist, shopkeepers in İstanbul's Aksaray district appeared to be messing up with the wrong guy -- a professional boxer.

Few days ago, the tourist booked an hotel room in Aksaray as part of his trip in Turkey. Near his hotel, he went to pick up a bottled water, but he opened the door of a merchandized refrigerator so hard that dozens of water bottles dropped to the ground. Seconds after the incident, owner of the shop approached the Irish tourist and hit him with a stick.

In a sign of solidarity, neighboring shopkeepers also started assailing the tourist. But they were unaware that the tourist is a professional boxer.

As soon as he realized that he needs to fight back, the tourist put his sunglasses on his head and positioned himself as if he was on a ring ready to fight against his rival. He started putting down a mob of shopkeepers one by one. One of them could hardly walk after taking a hit on the face.

As shopkeepers understood that it will be difficult to tackle him, they asked for help. The crowd immediately swelled. The tourist and the shopkeepers then retreated to nurse their wounds. The tourist took a shelter inside his hotel. Minutes later, the tourist left the hotel and dived into the crowd. The shopkeepers had started using clubs, hard banners and stools to fight off the tourist. The Irishman again retreated to his hotel lobby several times, replenished his strength and attacked again.

Shocked, the shopkeepers decided to calm down and retreated.

http://www.todayszaman.com/anasayfa_oops-wrong-guy-irish-tourist-professional-boxer-overpowers-turkish-mob_397487.html

The way that is written is hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

fryup wrote: »
    wonder will he be interviewed on liveline?

its a scandal Joe, its a scandal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so who is this guy??

surely someone out there knows him ???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 367 ✭✭justchecked

*may not be cctv footage of the incident

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Guys obviously a Terminator sent back from the future to destroy our water supply, enabling Skynet to take over.

If history has thought us anything, never start a fight with an Irishman over water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Watching it again there and have to say fair play to the few local looking lads (they're brown, so sue me) who stepped in for the guy

One (black tee-shirt) was in the shop at the start and tried to restrain the shopkeeper, the other was an older guy in white shirt and green khakis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 647 ✭✭✭RichardCeann

If you watch out for him throughout the video, black tshirt lad gets a fair few slaps for trying to break it up. He gets chased down the street at one stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 1800

Reading the comments, the Turkish commenters are taking the side of the Irish guy and saying how the shopkeepers are cowardly scum etc. The shopkeepers are all Kurdish an the Turkish people despise them.

So all is not as first would seem. Regardless I agree with previous posters about why anyone would go to that dirty kip especially these days with all the **** happening politically there and ISIS cells all over the place.

A "holiday" there yeah right. You would need a holiday coming back from it.

If you watch out for him throughout the video, black tshirt lad gets a fair few slaps for trying to break it up. He gets chased down the street at one stage.

Got strangled at one point too the poor helpful cunt!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 1800

It looks like one of the aggressors is wearing a Celtic jersey. Maybe this is Dublin City Centre after all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Quadrature

Another city I've just crossed off my list of places to visit!

Quadrature wrote: »
    Another city I've just crossed off my list of places to visit!

Man, Istanbul is an incredible city. Don't let a few dregs put you off the place. If people done that for Dublin then nobody would ever visit.

Turkish people are generally very hospitable and friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Turkish Shopkeeper

Hello guys! Greetings from Turkey!

Sorry about the situation. Our gorillas might have watched "Kill The Irish Man" shortly before this experience and happily they got kicked in the ass well, as you've seen :D Yesterday, this was the number one topic in Turkish social media. Try googling "irlandalı turistin esnafı dövmesi ekşi sözlük" and click on the first website named "eksisozluk".(Biggest in Turkey) I've been for about 15 years on that site and never seen any issue like this one. An issue that all users agree on one opinion: Bravo Irish man!

If you find this guy, pass our best regards to him!
    1800 wrote: »
    Reading the comments, the Turkish commenters are taking the side of the Irish guy and saying how the shopkeepers are cowardly scum etc. The shopkeepers are all Kurdish an the Turkish people despise them.

So all is not as first would seem. Regardless I agree with previous posters about why anyone would go to that dirty kip especially these days with all the **** happening politically there and ISIS cells all over the place.

A "holiday" there yeah right. You would need a holiday coming back from it.

There has been a conflict between the Turkish and the Kurdish since WW1 and it's almost at the maximum point at these last days. So, do not trust on those racist youtube commenters. Theye're all ******s. They hate each other and love to blame each other. Nobody can know if the guys on the vid are Turkish or Kurdish. They probably be zee Germans :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

This guy gets hit with bats and poles and has a chair broke across his head/back and gets kicked and punched by a group of guys and is still standing and walking around after it all...lmfao

Edit: I'm cracking up laughing at the above post and username, this is fuking hilarious

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There's no way this is an Irish heavyweight professional boxer, someone would know him. A bare knuckle champ maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

brevity wrote: »
    Well that was quite the Turkish Delight.
    Omackeral wrote: »
    2/10 at best.

Looks like this time brevity isn't the soul of wit...

(•_•) / ( •_•)>⌐■-■ / (⌐■_■)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

He doesn't fight like a boxer, more mma style if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

A key that can open any lock variety me thinks. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

typical turkey, turns to violence at the drop of a hat water bottle.

the snackbar is closed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Massimo Cassagrande

Board Failte, Turkish style..."come visit, we beat you..:-)."

The bottles hadn't hit the floor before shop-boy was out with the timber. Can you imagine wandering into your local Spar, knocking over some toilet rolls and getting bet out of it by Dinny the trolley collector with his hurley? No? Me neither..

• Advertisement

I'm enjoying the "typical Turks" stuff. As if an Irish tourist brawling is unheard of!

We don't know enough from the video to say it was all the fault of one side or another. As is often the case in punch ups, something happens, one side over reacts, the other does likewise.

All round, it's not particulalry edifying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I'm enjoying the "typical Turks" stuff. As if an Irish tourist brawling is unheard of!

We don't know enough from the video to say it was all the fault of one side or another. As is often the case in punch ups, something happens, one side over reacts, the other does likewise.

All round, it's not particulalry edifying.

I find it slightly amusing as if it was a lad from Next door, I feel the words would be choice and no support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

There's no way he is a pro boxer, he doesn't move like one or punch like one; he's a big lump with a good dig and that's the end of it. Judging by the man's appearance I'd hazard that he's a Traveller (big mop of hair) to be honest.

Fair enough there isn't any love for Turkish resorts but in many respects it's an amazing and beautiful country with so much history and fantastic culture. Istanbul alone is a place everyone should see before they die. Don't let silliness like the video put you off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

SeaFields wrote: »
    Not excusing the shopkeepers actions but who the fcuk opens a fridge like that?!

With the seal around the door of the fridge, the air pressure can be different inside the fridge and require you to put a bit of effort into opening it. The ground where the fridge was didn't seem too level either.

Fair fcuks to yer man. He was attacked for no reason and defended himself. It would have only taken about 30 seconds to put the bottles back in the fridge but the shopkeeper overreacted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Have to say, it's pretty funny watching him rip open the door full force, and then act surprised/exasperated as all the bottles fall out.

Bet there was something else going on before that, for him to do that, and the Turks to react so violently.

Should have just ran though - taking that many hits to the head is not worth anything, can do long term damage fairly easily.

• Advertisement
Advertisement