Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish tourist has a run in with some Turkish shopkeepers

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭crushproof

Anyone who speaks Turkish want to translate?!
    He's interviewed but he's dubbed over - definitely can hear a strong Dublin accent though....he's revered by the Turks! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

I would have thought on the Turkish side against the pro treaty fellows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

crushproof wrote: »
    He's interviewed but he's dubbed over - definitely can hear a strong Dublin accent though....he's revered by the Turks! :pac:

Dublin accent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

crushproof wrote: »

It says "Big Joe's Davy, King of the Travellers, s*** in a bucket".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Dublin accent?

sounds more like meath to me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Does this mean there'll be no Irish in Turkey next year, definitely going to check it out so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Are we sure he's not Pyro?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Dublin accent?

Not even an Irish accent!
    Listened to the interview through headphones, he sounds more like Eastern European who has lived and learned English in Dublin.

Funnily enough he tells the interviewer that he is also Muslim and has been there many times, and he says that didn't realise he broke the guys teeth with the punch he landed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Ruu wrote: »
    Celtic supporters or maybe Shamrock Rovers.
    1800 wrote: »
    It looks like one of the aggressors is wearing a Celtic jersey. Maybe this is Dublin City Centre after all

It doesn't even look like a football jersey at all, but if it is, I'd say it more likely one from a bit closer to home. Plenty of teams other than Celtic and Shamrock Rovers have had green and white hooped jerseys, including a couple of Turkish ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Wompa1

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Not even an Irish accent!
    Listened to the interview through headphones, he sounds more like Eastern European who has lived and learned English in Dublin.

Funnily enough he tells the interviewer that he is also Muslim and has been there many times, and he says that didn't realise he broke the guys teeth with the punch he landed.

Twitter is saying he's actually from Kuwait...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,710 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The expression when he yanked open the door - lucky the whole fridge didnt come down on him!

Video probably cut off before they all cleaned up the mess and went for a few pints.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

An Irish tourist pulls too hard on a fridge door and causes a load of water bottles to fall to the floor. The shopkeeper is not too pleased and goes at him with a bat. Scuffle ensues, he knocks out one of the Turks, eats a few chair shots and gets whacked out of it stick and poles.

Good to see we are making friends abroad anyway!

Found proper soundtrack for that :P

[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Love the way they lad who was floored skulked off. Very funny. He was the big brave boy when he had loads of support but one thump, and it was a good one, and he leaves very sheepishly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

The expression when he yanked open the door - lucky the whole fridge didnt come down on him!

Video probably cut off before they all cleaned up the mess and went for a few pints.
    I wish I could figure out how to put that bit on infinite replay, never gets old; he must have known the bottles would come flying out, as the expression of surprise/exasperation - with him throwing his hands out - is just so unconvincing and really funny:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Some translated comments/commentary :)

"He is not eating a thick stick in the Irish head does not respond at all"

"one of the shopkeepers was knocked down in one punch and when he stood up, he already lost 2 of his teeth. He was walking like drunk and he became weary of life"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭crushproof

A friendly guy sent me a PM with a translation of the interview. Here's some bits:
    "I wanted to buy a bottle of water, I pulled the door and everything fell on me. I tried to apologise, i wasn't drunk. I was sober. Next thing I know they attacked me with bats. WTF was that, are you shopkeepers or butchers?" (LOL!)

Reporter: "When you saw lots of people in front of you, attacking you...were you scared?"

"No"

Reporter: "No??? But there was more than ten people"

"Doesn't matter....I was more surprised they attacked me with chairs, with sticks, with everything. why?! Just fight like a man. you don't have to throw everything at me. come on me with your bare hands." (What a champ!)

<Video snaps to video of guy ing punched and knocked out>

"I didn't know his teeth were broken. I was only trying to defend myself. Besides, my problem was with the shopkeeper. who the hell was that fella? I just got him out of my way. but then everybody started jumping in."

Reporter: "Most of people thinks you're a professional boxer, are you?"

"No I just trained myself to this level..... Maybe because I'm so big and fat that I was able to stand. But i didn't come here for fight. I love this country. I'm Muslim, like yourself.
    My hand was broken, some bones on my shoulder cracked, my head injured, I was stabbed in the waist.. All this for water?"

Reporter: "Do you want to make peace after this fighting?"

"I don't know if they want to make peace with me, that's the question you should ask."

Reporter: "Do you want, if they want?"

"Well if they want to....I've lost my phone, i had my other phone broken, I've lost my gold chains and my watch."

Reporter: "Are you going to come to Istanbul or Turkey after this?"

"Yes of course"

He's a total hero in Turkey at the moment, it's such a crazy situation. I've been in Istanbul and Turkey on countless occasions and loved it - so it's mad to see this kind of thing happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Had a bit of a flashback there of when me and a mate arrived in istanbul sometime in the nineties,there must have been some high up fella or religious leader on the plane with us,but when we got out to the main area there was crowds waiting,as soon as they caught a glimpse of him behind us the whole place erupted into pandemonium, chanting,roaring and shouting,I just looked at my mate and said c'mon let's get the fcuk outta here before a bomb goes off!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

"I opened a fridge and now I'm world famous"

Who'd have thought that sentence would ever arise?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

He's not Irish I'd say, accent definitely isn't anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

His accent is a Kuwaiti/Dublin hybrid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

So he was stabbed after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Them "men" in Turkey are so frustrated that they will spoil for a fight to get their rocks off anytime. Never see a woman in a shop. Funny that!

Most Turkish people are grand. The shopkeepers can do your head in though.

Still, why anyone would go to Turkey on a holiday is beyond me. Must be the cheap drink or something.

Because the resorts are alike any other resort ib Europe. I was in gumbet and it wasn't any different than anywhere else bar the language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Oh ****, I have to stop coming into this thread in work. It's just so ****ing hilarious. I lolled and then got into a hysterical laughing fit, which was inappropriate.

"who the hell was that fella? I just got him out of my way."

hahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

Definitely a terminator.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Who? Maradona?

You've never heard of Maradona???:eek:

Kuwaiti ....
    seamus wrote: »
    Kuwaiti-born, Irish citizen.

I wonder what he does to call himself a "professional" boxer though.

Kuwaiti by birth, Irish by passport it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

newmug wrote: »

so not actually Irish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Dude is talking on the Joe Duffy show now !!

Mohammad ! (Ali!!)

• Advertisement

Duffy asked him was he a boxer - he said "no comment" !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭6541

can someone post a link to the interview on Joe Duffy, I want to hear it !!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Them "men" in Turkey are so frustrated that they will spoil for a fight to get their rocks off anytime. Never see a woman in a shop. Funny that!

Most Turkish people are grand. The shopkeepers can do your head in though.

Still, why anyone would go to Turkey on a holiday is beyond me. Must be the cheap drink or something.

You're right. The gateway between Europe and Asia, the Ottoman Empire, the artifacts of ancient Constantinople, Ephesus, Pergamom, Hierapolis.....loada crap!

Why the fuck would anyone want to visit Turkey!!

Troy is supposedly in Turkey also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

he was economical with the truth i think, theres more to that story then he's admitting..i reckon he p!ssed off that shopkeeper beforehand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

newmug wrote: »
    You've never heard of Maradona???:eek:

lanos wrote: »
    so not actually Irish

No, just like Devalera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

feargale wrote: »
    No, just like Devalera.

Indeed, DeValera's Kuwaiti roots are not well known. It has been rumoured that, when composing the 1937 Constitution, Dev considered making Arabic the second official language (instead of British), and that it was only the intervention of John Charles McQuaid that stopped him from imposing Sharia law (although it still applies in Cavan and parts of Leitrim)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Joe prim wrote: »
    Indeed, DeValera's Kuwaiti roots are not well known. It has been rumoured that, when composing the 1937 Constitution, Dev considered making Arabic the second official language (instead of British), and that it was only the intervention of John Charles McQuaid that stopped him from imposing Sharia law (although it still applies in Cavan and parts of Leitrim)
    Oh FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Joe prim wrote: »

Never heard of the British language myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

Omackeral wrote: »
    Never heard of the British language myself.

Nid ydych wedi bod i Gymru, yna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Reiver wrote: »
    Nid ydych wedi bod i Gymru, yna.

Yr wyf wedi bod i Pwellheli mewn gwirionedd. Mae fy mhwynt yn dal i sefyll , nid oes iaith Prydeinig unigol . Google Translate yw Brenin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

You're right. The gateway between Europe and Asia, the Ottoman Empire, the artifacts of ancient Constantinople, Ephesus, Pergamom, Hierapolis.....loada crap!

Why the fuck would anyone want to visit Turkey!!

most Irish people who visit Turkey know almost nothing about the place, for all they know they could be in Spain or Greece

they spend most of their time beside the hotel pool, at the beach or drinking in bars

I'm sure Istanbul is a great city to visit, I doubt the same could be said of Kusadasi

Advertisement