Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What bike related thing is in the post to you right now ...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Just got one too - SP PV8

Winters coming..

IMG_0015_zpszovrann2.jpg

IMG_0013_zpsgol4ux2h.jpg

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

A pair of shockingly ugly mtb shoes

prod149559_Black%20-%20Lime%20-%20Orange_NE_01?wid=500&hei=505

I'm a sucker for a discount
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/northwave-all-mountain-escape-evo-shoes/rp-prod151245

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Ye with the dynamo hubs just arriving, where and how much?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Weepsie wrote: »

£249.99 :)
    P & P £18.
    SJS Cycles.

thecycleclinic.co.uk

246 euro including delivery.

Got a terrible shock when I gave it quick twirl before fitting - a lot of resistance, the wheel stopped spinning very quickly. But this is quite normal with a hand test. When rolling, the momentum of the bike lessens the effective resistance so that the amount of watts the hub 'costs' is negligible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Thanks. Apologies for my abruptness, I had been in the pub for several hours and was checking something.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

http://www.cobocycling.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/d/s/dsc_36662893202_3.jpg

Kas jersey .....
    will be signed by The King , framed, and put on the wall beside the signed, framed Skil jersey ......

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

New Power2Max power meter - good offer at the moment - but one and but a voucher for €1, then in mid December when the new version is launched you can pick up the equivalent new power meter for €299.

This means you can potentially get 2 power meters for €990 - not cheap, but decent enough value considering I paid that for my original power2max 3 years ago.

Also a new frame - Storck Scenero and Ultegra Di2 to replace an older Scenero (and power meter) I had stolen a couple of months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=121856

If for touring I'd be inclined to go with either a SON dynamo or shimano. You'll note comments above about bracing angle, I've read some other wheelbuilder make similar comments about floppy wheels with that hub. Probably not an issue for non touring wheel once wheel is well built.

Hplus archetype is a strong rim or dt swiss 540 (I think) might be a suitable rim for touring. I wouldn't use an open pro, I'd prefer a wider (for comfort) and stronger rim for touring

Use a disc compatible hub allowing you to use with disc brake bike also or sell on to either rim/disc brake user if you find you don't use it

@ford2600 - what hub are you referring to with ' floppy wheel' ?

• Advertisement

OleRodrigo wrote: »

The one you bought 😀

Couldn't see it being a problem for you given rim and wheelbuilder, in context of a touring/loaded hub it wouldn't be my choice.

The two wheels pictured look perfect for audax although I'd have a strong preference for the wider rim on hplus son

ford2600 wrote: »
    The one you bought 😀

Couldn't see it being a problem for you given rim and wheelbuilder, in context of a touring/loaded hub it wouldn't be my choice.

The two wheels pictured look perfect for audax although I'd have a strong preference for the wider rim on hplus son

Had a good chat with him. Hes one of the posters on the forum you linked. His only reservation was using a rim under 32 h, with that hub. But with 32 he said he had full confidence and issued a full warranty on the build .

The Archetype is a great rim. With its wide profile and in a 32 H config it can take a lot of stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Come to daddy...

Less than half price, way less.

Nice!! What shop. Offer may be over but if the price was right I might just click buy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Black Friday deals on Amazon seemed to have started early this year! Got a pair of VeloChampion Warp Sunglasses on a lightning deal.

ronoc wrote: »
    Currently on the slow boat from china.
    A bright front light
    A rear light with freaking lasers
    2 x small lights for front and rear

All for less than €10 if customs doesn't take their piece.

These finally arrived on the slow boat and they are a mixed bag. But for €10 I can't say I expected much!

Nt9hKeQ.jpg
    The torch is marked CREE Q5 / Hwa Wys UltraFire. This "2000 lumens" torch is ok. It's pretty bright but I really doubt it's anywhere near 2000 lumens. The handle bar mount is kind of cheap and doesn't fit my 31.8mm bar correctly. This was my bad for not reading the small print (who needs industry standard sizes anyway?!), but I'll probably be able to bodge something to test it on the bike. I doubt it is waterproof with no rubber seals. If I don't use it on the bike it will make a decent torch.

cIdcxAA.jpg?1
    The rear light with lasers is plenty bright with loads of different flashing modes. The lasers projected on the ground is a bit of a gimmick which I'm not sure I'll use. The mount (not pictured) is pretty crappy. The light feels hollow and flimsy. There is no evidence of any attempt to make it water tight. I doubt this will last the Irish weather.

f2PpCqt.jpg
    The little mini lights are ok, but again no rubber seals to make them water proof. I have similar bontrager ones and they have much better seals and they feel better built. There is also a screw on the back that could scratch paint work.

All in all I think you get what you pay for. I'll give them a lash some night to try them out properly on the bike when I bodge the mounts but if I was using these regularly I would be slightly anxious they would let me down.

B&O PLAY earphones at half price on amazon black friday, couldn't resist!

61RRatCxTZL._SL1000_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IEEZ4A0/ref=pe_385721_51767431_TE_dp_1#Ask

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Just pulled the trigger on a pair of Castelli sorpasso bib tights and then saw an Alpha jacket for half price so had to order that as well! Both items from different sites (cycletribe.ie and Evans) - early birthday presents for me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Happy Christmas to me...

ghost-asket-5-lc-black-white-green-2016_750x750.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Rokta

Garmin Edge 25, Camelbak bottles and a lot of bits and bobs which are small.... but the sum of it....

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mul37

See.Sense Icon Rear Light

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Ordered an Electron 650 lumen front light from the cyclesuperstore last week, winging its way to me in a courier. Hard to leave it there at €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

My new tights arrived yesterday and my jacket was to be delivered today, but no one is home, so changed the delivery to Monday.
    Impressed with the tights but have only tried them on so far - hopefully get out and test them next week (birthday party weekend starts in just under 3 hours!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 GiantTcr

A power meter. Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

After a long run of procrastination I pulled the trigger on a pair of gore thermal gloves. Feels like winter has really arrived.

Paddy

OleRodrigo wrote: »

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80688241&postcount=13

Point 2 is relevant.

I've seen similar on prowheelbuilder, peterwhite or some such professional wheelbuilder. As I've said fine for you but maybe not a heavy lad going touring.

The guy who built your wheel (I think) was strongly recommending I need no more than 28 spokes on an archtype wheelbuild on a rear wheel; which would suggest the sp hub is somewhat limiting as regards strength in the context of a touring wheel. If I was looking for cheap, cheerful and bombproof I'd just buy this
    https://www.rosebikes.com/article/rose-atb-front-wheel-28700-c-dh-3n80---a-719/aid:484624
    You'd need to run a 28mm tyre min according to specs but I've use 25mm on rim without issue. Won't fit a tcr mind but ideal for a bike with more generous clearance,
    I have mine for 3 seasons without issue, heavy but very strong and reliable. 3 cross and 36 spokes on a heavy rim, it would want to be!

ford2600 wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80688241&postcount=13

Point 2 is relevant.

I've seen similar on prowheelbuilder, peterwhite or some such professional wheelbuilder. As I've said fine for you but maybe not a heavy lad going touring.

The guy who built your wheel (I think) was strongly recommending I need no more than 28 spokes on an archtype wheelbuild on a rear wheel; which would suggest the sp hub is somewhat limiting as regards strength in the context of a touring wheel. If I was looking for cheap, cheerful and bombproof I'd just buy this
    https://www.rosebikes.com/article/rose-atb-front-wheel-28700-c-dh-3n80---a-719/aid:484624
    You'd need to run a 28mm tyre min according to specs but I've use 25mm on rim without issue. Won't fit a tcr mind but ideal for a bike with more generous clearance,
    I have mine for 3 seasons without issue, heavy but very strong and reliable. 3 cross and 36 spokes on a heavy rim, it would want to be!

Yeah, he said pretty much the same thing - wide rim and 32 h should offset any weakness on the hub body.

Do you notice any drag on the shimano? What light you using now ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

See.Sense Icon back light, finally broke out and got it in the Black Friday sale, since it was £15 off at £50. Would have bought someone a set of lights for Christmas too except a) it was only £20 off at £100 and b) he paled and said he'd be worried about leaving them on the bike or forgetting them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Nerdy.

5m roll of Schmidt Coaxial Cable for dynamo wiring.
    Dogs back ones this stuff.

SJS. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Planet X wrote: »
    Nerdy.

5m roll of Schmidt Coaxial Cable for dynamo wiring.
    Dogs back ones this stuff.

SJS. :)

It would be ideal for wiring yourself up with Christmas tree lights all over bike and yourself for the Santy cycle for Crumlin

https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/dublins-santa-cycle-2016-tickets-28606361397?aff=eiosprexshreclip&ref=eiosprexshreclip

Advertisement