Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What bike related thing is in the post to you right now ...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Garmin Vivoactive 3. it can display my blood sugars, and I need a watch, so hopefully it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

My trusty Garmin 500 has bitten the dust. It can barely hold a satellite signal which produces wildly inaccurate speeds and tracking. I've had it a very long time now, always expected it to just not turn on one day, rather than this mad behaviour. I did try resetting and other bits, but nothing seemed to work.

So I've ordered a Garmin 130, maybe a true successor to the 500. Monochrome screen for readability, but has bluetooth and other nice things. Seems a good bit of kit for 99stg. I actually ordered it 10 days ago, but it's still not been shipped. I'll just have to wait it out I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

CramCycle wrote: »
    Garmin Vivoactive 3. it can display my blood sugars, and I need a watch, so hopefully it works.

That's really interesting. How does that work?

cletus wrote: »
    That's really interesting. How does that work?

I have a continuous glucose monitor that sends my blood sugars to my insulin pump. I also have a blood sugar finger prick tester that can send on the spot test results to the pump. Someone has written a program that reverses the process, and uses the fingerprick tester as a reciever, this then plugs into your phone a USB OTG cable, which then using an app, transmits the data to your watch. It does mean if I want to use it in a race, I have to carry my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

CramCycle wrote: »
    I have a continuous glucose monitor that sends my blood sugars to my insulin pump. I also have a blood sugar finger prick tester that can send on the spot test results to the pump. Someone has written a program that reverses the process, and uses the fingerprick tester as a reciever, this then plugs into your phone a USB OTG cable, which then using an app, transmits the data to your watch. It does mean if I want to use it in a race, I have to carry my phone.

I actually set this up a while ago, but had to use an old phone as my current phone wouldnt play too well with the usb otg cable. It works, but a bit messy. I've been tinkering with a better solution for a while now... Time will tell...

• Advertisement

I actually set this up a while ago, but had to use an old phone as my current phone wouldnt play too well with the usb otg cable. It works, but a bit messy. I've been tinkering with a better solution for a while now... Time will tell...

Is it worth it? A guy in my club has done it and I meant to message him as his seemed pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

My trusty Garmin 500 has bitten the dust. It can barely hold a satellite signal which produces wildly inaccurate speeds and tracking. I've had it a very long time now, always expected it to just not turn on one day, rather than this mad behaviour. I did try resetting and other bits, but nothing seemed to work.

So I've ordered a Garmin 130, maybe a true successor to the 500. Monochrome screen for readability, but has bluetooth and other nice things. Seems a good bit of kit for 99stg. I actually ordered it 10 days ago, but it's still not been shipped. I'll just have to wait it out I suppose!

Where is the Garmin 130 available for £99.00? Thanks.

Got it working, went through a few different apps that struggled till I found one that would work. There is a 5 minute lag but it gives the up/down direction so from a race perspective, not that we will be out much at that for awhile it hits the nail on the head perfectly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Possibly, and it's slim, a saris h3 smart trainer

Now it briefly came up on Evans so I said why not, and it took PayPal payment, and I got a confirmation, but also it said payment didn't work.

Now out of stock, and their my orders page keeps crashing, though it was there earlier.

If it comes great, if not, I'm protected by PayPal, but it's going to ship to parcel wizard as I neglected to change it. I've never had an issue with them, but was always sent to a business address before, and it's too much money to risk it I think

Also it goes against my principal of buying anything from that sh!thead Mike ashley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,502 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Maidhci wrote: »
    Where is the Garmin 130 available for £99.00? Thanks.

Halfords , use parcel motel

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/cycling-technology/cycle-computer-gps/garmin-edge-130-646613.html

Too good to be true on the Saris H3, so getting my refund at least. Money aside for a smart trainer another time, and probably saving an argument at home!

Run to internet to see what sh!te I can buy now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Shiny new shoes from cyclestore.co.uk

467155.jpg

I really really like the color way on those shoes.

My vico carbon cages finally arrived and put them on today. While I was doing some micro adjustments on the gears the dog attacked the stand and it toppled. Caught the bike but not before the top of one of the crank arms got a good scratching :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Flaccus wrote: »
    I really really like the color way on those shoes.(

Have you looked at the soles? More bling than my FTP deserves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Have you looked at the soles? More bling than my FTP deserves

Nice. Is that a fluo yellow or flat yellow color btw ? Need something like that to go with the rest of my kit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Flaccus wrote: »
    Nice. Is that a fluo yellow or flat yellow color btw ? Need something like that to go with the rest of my kit :)

The picture is pretty accurate. Standard yellow, not fluo but bright enough so cars still have something to aim for

• Registered Users Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Going tubeless, all the bits ordered today. Had GP5000 clinchers and liked them but after 3000km the sidewalk on the front got damaged and wear indicator on back is getting low so ordered gp5000 tubeless to see how it works for me

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

So new Galibier Pro 5 Liberté bibs and DHB Aeron bibs arrived over the last few days and have both seen a couple of short spins. Much as I like the DHB gear I think the Galibier feels better on and worth the extra €10 or so. They also threw in a free pair a Galibier socks and I'm a real sucker for a freebie. DHB Aeron is comfy too so well kitted out with bibs now and can start dumping some of the older shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

A word of caution - I ordered some tyres from bike-components.de on the 12th, and was given a DHL tracking number.

Package was picked up on the 14th, stayed with dhl for 3 days, then said it arrived in Ireland last Saturday.

Postman dropped it off this morning instead of a courier.

They did say the virus was causing shipping delays, though, in fairness.

I tend to order a lot of retro tanwall tyres from them for vintage builds, and normal delivery is within 3 working days for less than a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I ordered something from them a few years ago on a Sunday afternoon. They along with DHL had it in Dublin by Monday evening. An post got it to me on Friday.

• Advertisement

A few sites I've browsed over the last week or so have been quoting 6-10 day delivery. I suspect what is is happening is that containers need to be filled before stuff moves.

Boscoirl wrote: »
    I ordered something from them a few years ago on a Sunday afternoon. They along with DHL had it in Dublin by Monday evening. An post got it to me on Friday.

Same happened to me too, ended up having to pick it up myself from the depot at one stage

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I ordered from Bike24 two weeks ago, from placing the order to delivery was 6 days with DHL.

I Ordered from Wiggle a few weeks ago and delivery was also 6 days. (Wednesday to Tuesday)

Can’t really complain given the current crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Waiting on a Campagnolo Record 12 speed rear derailleur limit screw from Bike24. As much as I love Campag, this build is really testing my patience with them! My BMC frame is direct mount so I have to remove the link bracket and replace the standard limit screw with one designed for direct mount. Surely these should be included!

Headset from Merlin, very exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I ordered from Bike-discount last Wednesday night. The tracker didn't update since it arrived in the Köln international dispatch centre on Saturday morning. Out of the blue the package arrived today.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,729 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Galibier summer jersey, if we ever get back out for long spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I ordered from Bike-discount last Wednesday night. The tracker didn't update since it arrived in the Köln international dispatch centre on Saturday morning. Out of the blue the package arrived today.

That’s all very interesting but what did you actually buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

dahat wrote: »
    Galibier summer jersey, if we ever get back out for long spins.

If we winter this out, we can summer anywhere.
    Feeling a bit maudlin, sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

Cadex Boost.

Advertisement