Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What bike related thing is in the post to you right now ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Delivered....

How intriguing!!!

I had forgotten I ordered a hydraulic brakebleeding/filling kit from Aliexpress - it arrived today - anyonevwant to reach me how to use it??

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOHAtDf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Ordered a couple of rolls of different colour bar tape and a garmin/go-pro mount last week from Ali express. All items under €10 each. The garmin mount arrived today, it looks the business and feels rock solid. Success!
    Let's hope now that the bar tape isn't made from tissues.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 TerryDi2Center

One 6770 Di2 shift lever for me to play with - ST-6770-R.
    (going to see if I can get my 10 speed front derailleur to work with the 11 speed rear derailleur by downgrading firmware... should be fun :))

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

One 6770 Di2 shift lever for me to play with - ST-6770-R.
    (going to see if I can get my 10 speed front derailleur to work with the 11 speed rear derailleur by downgrading firmware... should be fun :))

Is it possible to roll back the firmware?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Included in a mail from Galibier earlier:

Regardless of Covid restrictions and fishing negotiations, we ship to the UK and internationally at 9 am and 3pm daily with Royal Mail and to Ireland and the EU with AnPost at 2pm daily. There will be NO additional customs duties as of Jan 1st.

Not quite cycling related, more UK shipping related which may be relevant. We ordered blinds from what looked like an Irish website (blindsdirect.ie) but they are made and shipped from UK. They arrived in Ireland last week and we were asked for an additional 166 euro in vat and duty (on an order of 400 euro) However I only saw the demand for this fee yesterday morning and I noticed this morning that customs have released them and they are on their way without me paying anything.

So my advice (for what its worth) is to sit tight for a couple of days if you get a demand for vat/duty on a UK shipment. It may be released without a fee..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    So my advice (for what its worth) is to sit tight for a couple of days if you get a demand for vat/duty on a UK shipment. It may be released without a fee..

Is it with An Post or who? I have had couriers including An Post ask at the door for the money, so wait until it is in your hands before you are certain. Although nowadays, I think they send you a note to come and collect and pay at the collection hub.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Is it with An Post or who? I have had couriers including An Post ask at the door for the money, so wait until it is in your hands before you are certain. Although nowadays, I think they send you a note to come and collect and pay at the collection hub.

DHL... I will confirm later if it arrives free of charge..

it is very confusing.. I got a text message with a link for payment but when I track it the status is "released from customs and out for delivery"

You may very well be correct. they might look for money at the door..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'd be wary about paying any customs charges for items ordered via an Irish based website. I would contact the retailer before paying any customs (or other) charges.
    Arnotts shoppers charged import fees due to Brexit teething problems
    Brexit: Currys/PC World Irish customers asked to pay import taxes in error

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

DHL... I will confirm later if it arrives free of charge..

it is very confusing.. I got a text message with a link for payment but when I track it the status is "released from customs and out for delivery"

You may very well be correct. they might look for money at the door..

I've had the same they'll likely look for payment at the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

New 11 speed chain, brake blocks, bottle cages, bottle and some tools

• Advertisement

Cleats and a BB reducer. Had ordered from CRC over a month ago now but Fastway seemed to have islaid it, repeatedly, even claiming it was signed for, twice and then sent to a shop for collection (not there). I have sent CRC a lost package form over a week ago now so I simply reordered from Bike Components. So far my money is on BC getting it to me first, even though that have stated that one item will delay shipment by 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I ordered a cheapo (compared to others) faceplate mount for my Wahoo (12USD) on 18th Jan, email this morning telling me this morning its in the country. Original email stated between 17 and 25 days before I receive it. Have to say well impressed with the setup and communications from AliExpress.

Not quite cycling related, more UK shipping related which may be relevant. We ordered blinds from what looked like an Irish website (blindsdirect.ie) but they are made and shipped from UK. They arrived in Ireland last week and we were asked for an additional 166 euro in vat and duty (on an order of 400 euro) However I only saw the demand for this fee yesterday morning and I noticed this morning that customs have released them and they are on their way without me paying anything.

I ended up having to pay DHL the vat/duty fee online before they would deliver it. However when I rang the supplier they immediately refunded it into the card I paid with. Explained it was Brexit teething problems and should/would be sorted out so the price you see in the future will be all inclusive..

Decided to spend a bit more yesterday and was tempted with the Ekoi sale but went with Galibier
    Énergie Thermo Bib Tights
    Mistral foul weather Jacket (Black)

Decided to spend a bit more yesterday and was tempted with the Ekoi sale but went with Galibier

You'll not regret the mistral in black and yellow, beautiful bit of kit, and does what its supposed to too.
    I looked at your ekoi sale too (misread their one item free over 160 euro, thought I was getting 3 for 2 on bibtights, turns out I would get a free rear flashing light) :(
    I have looked at those bibtights from Galibier - do I have to spend €80ish to get some good tights? (I resent spending that much, as I'll tend to buy 3 pairs)

Anyhow, I've ordered myself 2 complete sets of disk brake pads and a litre of mineral oil from bike.de, gonna get to play with my new bleeding kit that arrived last week.

wheelo01 wrote: »
    I have looked at those bibtights from Galibier - do I have to spend €80ish to get some good tights? (I resent spending that much, as I'll tend to buy 3 pairs)
    Possibly not but I did my 2019 and 2020 tax returns recently and now have a load of money burning a hole in my pocket.
    Based on what I've previously bought from Galibier, I'm confident that I'll love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I have a pair of Galibier shorts that are a few years old. Still in good nick but the pad is just a bit dead now. I have some Ekoi shorts and they have a better pad. Just wondering if Galibier have better pads now than 3 or 4 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

3 jerseys...1no from Demarchi through wiggle.....1no from Sigr in Sweden...1no from victory chimp.
    Wanted to order from cycology too but they are not delivering to Ireland at the moment...due to Boris. They will deliver to Germany though....🀔🀔.
    Wonder which jersey will arrive first.

My parcel arrived this morning. Looking forwards to getting out later and giving the jacket a test.
    The good folks in Galibier also threw in a pair of their Ardennes socks (in blue) which has brightened up my morning.

It's the tights I need you to review, the jacket is a Godsend both on it's own and with a base layer when its colder.

I must be on the Galibier bold boy list, I never get anything for free lol

• Advertisement

Castelli Perfetto. I measured myself, ordered the correct size and then had half my club saying no, you had to go one larger. Thankfully changed in time and hopefully it was the right call.

It's the tights I need you to review, the jacket is a Godsend both on it's own and with a base layer when its colder.
    I'll need another spin in them, I think. The fitting was good, the warmth was great. I just want to make sure that I'm happy with the pad (I think I am but want to be sure)
    I must be on the Galibier bold boy list, I never get anything for free lol
    Wow. I've two freebies out of three orders :D
    You must have said something negative about them!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Bought a hardtail mountain bike last week so needed a few things...

I'd usually fold down the back seats of the car for my road bike but there's no way my mountain bike is going in it! :pac: So I've ordered a Thule ProRide 598 Roof Bike Rack from Halfords. We already have roof bars. Also ordered Muc-Off Disc Brake Cleaner from Halfords as well.

Ordered Thule Carbon Frame Protector (for the roof rack - Halfords Ireland don't stock it), Continental Tubes, Rockshox fork pump and Park Tool Spanner. All from Bike24.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

A Hammerhead Karoo 2. Decided to make a change from Garmin to this. Looks good!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ridelikeaturtle

I've got so much stuff on it's way to me, it's very frustrating that very little seems to be getting through the brexit and COVID slowdowns. I'm stuck at home, waiting for deliveries... and I get a stupid TV license renewal form.

Two jerseys for myself (three if you count one that's won't get shipped until the end of the month due to Chinese New Year), a pivot bushing from the UK, a Park SK-3 toolkit from Australia (a gift), tyres (a birthday gift), shoes & a jersey (a no-reason gift).

Waiting, waiting...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Shimano 105 pedals and RC3 shoes.

I've had double sided Deore XT pedals and some
    chunky Shimano MTB shoes with a velcro water resistant flap for several years now from when i used to commute. I don't commute anymore and they're also out of place on a carbon road bike so it's time for a change!

The pedals are half the weight while the shoes are a similar weight saving. I'm happy to get a shoe with a dial rather than buckles, especially for €75 from Bike Components, it seems to be €100 everywhere else. I don't do huge mileage so didn't want to splash out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Am I the only one who's gone right off online shopping??? The uncertainty of customs, VAT, delayed deliveries, etc makes me avoid shopping online from websites such as wiggle, bike24, sports direct, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Gorteen wrote: »
    Am I the only one who's gone right off online shopping??? The uncertainty of customs, VAT, delayed deliveries, etc makes me avoid shopping online from websites such as wiggle, bike24, sports direct, etc

Same here, so much uncertainty, the few sites I've called have said the delivery issues will be resolved in a few weeks but because Brexit is here to stay the harsh reality is prices will be slightly higher, even the Irish sites would usually get supplies from U.K bases so there's a knock on effect there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Well bike24 is a German website so there will be no charges and the majority of large UK stores have notices saying any duties are included in price. If you do happen to get caught for a bill at delivery you can refuse to pay and it will be returned to the seller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Alanbt

Did first post-brexit purchase this week. Used CRC as cheaper than the German sites for the items(when delivery added). Ordered Monday night, delivered yesterday.
    No issues with extra charges (was under €150). Can’t complain

Advertisement