Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What bike related thing is in the post to you right now ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.rosebikes.ie/shimano-cs-hg400-9-speed-cassette-712592&ved=2ahUKEwjz7MnbzLfwAhVBtHEKHWLaBZQQFjANegQIHxAC&usg=AOvVaw1DNjs7GedKhD0jzgL8uw0e

Bought this in portarlington yesterday in my LBS €60 and €10 for the removal tool. Less than €20 online. Nice to support local but if the online shop can make a few quid on €20 it just feels like gouging.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.rosebikes.ie/shimano-cs-hg400-9-speed-cassette-712592&ved=2ahUKEwjz7MnbzLfwAhVBtHEKHWLaBZQQFjANegQIHxAC&usg=AOvVaw1DNjs7GedKhD0jzgL8uw0e

Bought this in portarlington yesterday in my LBS €60 and €10 for the removal tool. Less than €20 online. Nice to support local but if the online shop can make a few quid on €20 it just feels like gouging.

Just to play devils advocate: The online shop acts basically as s distributor, which means your LBS ain't getting it any cheaper than they are selling it, you are also paying for the convenience of having it immediately, and that €20 isn't actually the price as delivery is €10. It is expensive but the distributor doesn't have the same overheads, so while €60 was a lot in comparison, but realistically, it may have cost more when they got it in and €45 would have been not far of a break even price for them. Also most bike shops would fit it at the price they charge (mine do anyway), so maybe they forgot to take the labour that was included with the price off.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

If its the LBS in Portarlington im thinking of his prices are on the expensive side compared to other LBS in other towns not too far away.
    I got quoted €70 for a service that i knew didnt need much done but got it done in Apex cycles Kildare town for €20 as i say it didnt need much at all just gears slightly adjusted and everything checked.
    Highly recommend Lucas there, genuinely sound guy and a brilliant wheel builder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

My local bike shop are cheap. Any tubes or gels are priced same as online. Cleaning products and lubes are cheaper. Chains, cassettes are a bit more expensive than online but they've offered €5 discount when buying chain + cassette for example. As long as I'm paying shipping costs my local shop will be better. They're very quick too, always get the bike back before I expect it. Cost of servicing and cleaning stuff, tubes etc have been cheaper there than some of the bigger shops.

Can't knock online for choice though, especially tyres if I want a specific Michelin, Pirelli as I have done or SwissStop brake pads for example local shop wouldn't generally have it. Happy to go local as much as possible though.

As for the thread topic, I'm waiting on a set of Zonda disc wheels and 26c Pirelli Cinturato Velo tyres for the ebike commuter from ProBikeKit but they're a bit delayed in sending it out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

New 11/34 cassette as the old one is on its last legs. Cyclesuperstore.ie was the only place that had them in stock. Also got new shoes coming and a new windproof packable jacket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Just to play devils advocate: The online shop acts basically as s distributor, which means your LBS ain't getting it any cheaper than they are selling it, you are also paying for the convenience of having it immediately, and that €20 isn't actually the price as delivery is €10. It is expensive but the distributor doesn't have the same overheads, so while €60 was a lot in comparison, but realistically, it may have cost more when they got it in and €45 would have been not far of a break even price for them. Also most bike shops would fit it at the price they charge (mine do anyway), so maybe they forgot to take the labour that was included with the price off.

Oh okay that makes sense, so he forgot to not charge me for work that he didn't do. I may forget to ever darken his door again.

Oh okay that makes sense, so he forgot to not charge me for work that he didn't do. I may forget to ever darken his door again.

Possibly, it's an easy mistake to make, some LBS have two prices on their tubes one for the tube and one for fitting, my one has just one for fitting but he charges half that if your just buying the tube. Only realised when I got stuck one day and went into buy the tube. Only a possibility, he may just charge a lot either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Campagnolo Centaur Groupset. It's used, but very lightly by the looks of it, and coming in a very roundabout way of people sending from place to place all to save probabkt the smallest bit of money.

Don't have any campag wheels though, so now I've to find them, change my freehubs or find an 11-32 shimano/sram cassette.

Freehubs option might be easiest one given the scarcity of cassettes.

My Guerciotti is going to feeling all proud dressed up in it's national clothes so to speak.

Might well be a downgrade from Sram Red 10 speed (which I love) but the cost of replacing the derailleur and chsinset wasn't much less.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭joey100

Alltricks had R8070 Di2 hydraulic disc brake shifters in stock with the calipers so ordered both left and right. Can't be got anywhere, have been looking for months now. Hoping it's not a stock update issue on the website! Most of the other DI2 stuff can be got from the usual shops, probably have to use different shops for different things. Already have a fair few of the parts from a groupset, rotors, charger, some cables, bottom bracket, so no real loss not buying a complete set and buying it in pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Bolle Furo Helmet from Bike Discount. Birthday money burning a hole in my (virtual) pocket. After looking at lots of clothing, figured the helmet was the one item I always wear! First time with MIPS...

I'm sure the Bolle helmet will look great with my cheapo Ali shades (with prescription inserts) :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

joey100 wrote: »
    Alltricks had R8070 Di2 hydraulic disc brake shifters in stock with the calipers so ordered both left and right. Can't be got anywhere, have been looking for months now. Hoping it's not a stock update issue on the website! Most of the other DI2 stuff can be got from the usual shops, probably have to use different shops for different things. Already have a fair few of the parts from a groupset, rotors, charger, some cables, bottom bracket, so no real loss not buying a complete set and buying it in pieces.
    They seemed to get an order of some of the Shimano hard to find parts last week. My GRX derailleur has shipped, although a friend ordered a few hours after me but got a notification after a couple of days that they didn't actually have stock

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭joey100

Had heard that alright Cantgetnosleep (could have been in this thread) and was keeping an eye on their stock, had put them into the basket a few times during the day and even though they said in stock a warning flashed up to say they were in other people's baskets but hadn't been checked out. Tried last night and no warning so went for it. Sure if they don't have them I'll sort a refund but fingers crossed.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My birthday is coming up and herself has ordered a Galibier Izoard PRO Gilet and a Peloton Riviere jersey at my request. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Pushed the button on a pair of Hunt 36 Carbon wheels after months of dithering. Looking forward to it -week 2 in June for dispatch

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Pushed the button on a pair of Hunt 36 Carbon wheels after months of dithering. Looking forward to it -week 2 in June for dispatch

I have the 33s, they transform the whole bike. I have a defy advanced 2 2020. The pr2s it came with were dog **** and heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Wahoo Bolt stealth from Proowned cycling, its new and full warranty etc.

I did however jump the gun as it now looks like Wahoo may offer me a replacement unit under limited warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

There is some club TT's organised for next month so I've gone full anti-Fred and got some clip on aero bars :cool:

Pinch Flat wrote: »

Buying a set of Hunts myself in a few weeks as soon as my car is sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,370 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Bontrager Aeolus Pro 5 TLR

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

My chinese carbon wheels have finally reached Ireland. I don't know what is worse, the 3 weeks of no updates wondering where they were or now knowing they are sitting in Park West and I can't get them!

• Advertisement

dahat wrote: »
    Wahoo Bolt stealth from Proowned cycling, its new and full warranty etc.

I did however jump the gun as it now looks like Wahoo may offer me a replacement unit under limited warranty.

Add in the warranty Wahoo now as well.

Also ordered Angry Pablo socks x 2 with a pair of Galibier ones also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Some new shoes as my 10 year old ones are on their last legs and a Garmin 830 as my old 800 keeps losing the plot every time it gets wet (which is a lot lately)
    Also have new club gear on the way and will probably need a new helmet to go with that

105 cassette , disc rotors, spokes (hopefully)

105 cassette , disc rotors, spokes (hopefully)
    Where did you order from?
    My 105 cassette from bike24 ordered in March should have arrived by now but they can't seem to get them (I've sourced some in Ireland though).

Where did you order from?
    My 105 cassette from bike24 ordered in March should have arrived by now but they can't seem to get them (I've sourced some in Ireland though).

believe it or not a 105 one appeared in stock at cyclesuperstore, i must have looked on every site going at this point ! and i still had my 20 euro cycling ireland voucher and vip discount so hopefully it arrives !

nightmare getting parts though got the rotors from lordgun in italy which i thought must be a joke !

spokeset is from italy as well but just got an email saying they are out of stock (hate when that happens)

My birthday is coming up and herself has ordered a Galibier Izoard PRO Gilet and a Peloton Riviere jersey at my request. :cool:
    Meant to say, got my stuff at the weekend.
    Also the good folks at Galibier threw in a free pair of socks for me!
    Out of four orders with them in the last year, I've received free stuff three times. icon14.pngicon14.pngicon14.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

4iii powermeter, Rudy Project Defender sunglasses and bibs and cappuccino cup from Band of Climbers. Cappuccino is definitely bike related

• Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭Macy0161

GP5000's and new tyre levers from Bike24. GP5000's after glass splitting my 4000sii, the tyre levers after breaking one putting the 4000 back on on the side of the road (saved by one of the group having steel ones!)

dahat wrote: »
    Add in the warranty Wahoo now as well.

Also ordered Angry Pablo socks x 2 with a pair of Galibier ones also.

Now I wonder if the warranty Wahoo delivered today will be the new version????

Also ordered Galibier bibs & CDA socks for racing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Was looking to buy some comfortable MTB gear for cycling to work as I've got misc workout/running gear at the moment but anything I wanted from Decathlon was out of stock and the prices were quickly creeping up, ended up ordering a jersey and shorts from Fox that aren't too flash. Last time I got a set from them I wore it several days a week for 5 years so they're worth the money.

Seem to be more form fitting these days so hopefully everything fits. Got an XL jersey in Toronto two years ago that was too short and smaller than my previous size large but I think it was more of a race fit.

Advertisement