Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What bike related thing is in the post to you right now ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭joey100

DI2 disc brake shifters and calipers arrived from all tricks with the di2 front derailleur so onto the next bit of the build.

Ordered bottom bracket, chain, di2 battery, di2 junction box, di2 cable connector and 2 new bike stands for the shed, for when I get around to re-organising it.

All that's left is the wait now for the crankset, hopefully July I'll get that and have the bike on the road by August.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Where did you order from?
    My 105 cassette from bike24 ordered in March should have arrived by now but they can't seem to get them (I've sourced some in Ireland though).
    Bike24 have cancelled my order for a 105 cassette (ordered on March 18th) :(
    Bike24 wrote:
    We regret to inform you that no exact delivery date can be given for the following items:
    SHI371227 - Shimano 105 CS-R7000 cassette 11-speed Gradation cassette: 11-28
    I have a spare here thankfully but as I'll use this soon, I should probably order another.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭wijam

just received 3 pair of socks from the folks at Inspire Repeat (Irish company) and as a returning customer they threw in a free pair which was a nice touch, good quality socks - actually met them up the Wicklow mountains last year when they were doing a photoshoot for the socks

also Candy Stripe Wheelers 2021 Tour jerseys (although there's only 2 of us in the club :) ) from Owayo.com, we've been getting jerseys off them from 2017, as we are buying a limited number they come in at €60 each, which ain't bad and they are good quality

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I meant to post that I'd ordered some LeCol gear, but it showed up today! Only ordered it 2 days ago. New shoes arrived today too. Shame the weather is so crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I have a spare here thankfully but as I'll use this soon, I should probably order another.

I wouldn't be in any real hurry to order another replacement. They're tough to come by at the moment and no real 'special offers' to speak of. They last ages once cleaned regularly and if the chain is replaced before it becomes so worn that it begins to wear the cassette.

I got 25,000km out of a 105 5800 cassette - it saw 5 chains in that time. I replaced it with an Ultegra 6800 which now has almost 8,000km on it. My other bike has a 105 5800 cassette from new and has clocked up almost 12,000km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I meant to post that I'd ordered some LeCol gear, but it showed up today! Only ordered it 2 days ago. New shoes arrived today too. Shame the weather is so crap!
    I’ve ordered (and returned) stuff from Italy. Shipments and returns arrrive next day with DHL. Savage service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Luxman wrote: »
    I’ve ordered (and returned) stuff from Italy. Shipments and returns arrrive next day with DHL. Savage service.

This is the second order I've done with LeCol and I'm seriously impressed with their service, packing as well as the fit of the kit. I know it's expensive, but both orders were using Strava coupons as well as their sales so it's worked out well enough in my eyes.
    My long sleeve jersey actually has long enough arms and the shorts I got today fit like a second skin. I'll be testing them tomorrow (actually later on today now, once I get away from work)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Wasnt sure where to ask this question:

Was in my LBS last week -

Chap maintained that you dont need to spend up on (clipless ) shoes.... he has shoes for about €80, the other LBS have shoes starting at €150.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Tombo2001 wrote: »

Chap maintained that you dont need to spend up on (clipless ) shoes.... he has shoes for about €80, the other LBS have shoes starting at €150.

Any thoughts?

I would say not. I have shoes that cost 30€ in a sale, others with carbon soles that have an RRP close to ten times that. Difference is minimal for casual riders. But if they are your first pair especially, worth buying from a physical shop for size, cleat fitting etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭joey100

For me your shoes are one of your three contact points with the bike along with saddle and hands. They are all places I would spend a bit of money to get comfy. That doesn't mean that the 80 euro ones won't be comfy but if I found the more expensive ones a better fit I'd be going with them without thinking twice, it's something I'd try a few of to see what works.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

So many factors to take into account but if they are comfy and you aren't doing anything like racing or ultra endurance events, they should be fine. My current favourites are not the most expensive ones, I had the Giro Empire which were great and very pricey but I picked up a cheaper model that are a tiny bit heavier but more comfortable and almost €100 cheaper, so for me, they cheaper ones are the better options but everyone experience will vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Tombo2001 wrote: »

Any thoughts?

I got a pair of Shimano RC300 for €76 from bike components. Other places had them for €100-110. One of the few shoes I could find with a dial system under €100. Lightweight, solid shoe, nice ventilation, dial adjustment etc.

I imagine if you found the cheapest shoes available you'd notice a difference but to be honest for under €100 I'd say you'll get something decent.

I can't see myself spending any more if I was buying another pair as the do they job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

New tyre, sealent and glue cleaner on the way. Had a very close call having clipped one of the small concrete dividers on the bike lane near UCD and damaged the sidewall of a GP5000 Tubeless with only about 1000km on it. Was ok for a 80km spin at the weekend but was on my mind the whole way so replacing it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There's a sram force hrd groupset somewhere on its way to me, but probably a few days away.

All going well, a genesis volare frameset tomorrow to replace my sadly broken guerciotti,

A pressfit gxp bottom bracket too for an argon 18 krypton cross that's getting the sram groupset

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

New tyre, sealent and glue cleaner on the way. Had a very close call having clipped one of the small concrete dividers on the bike lane near UCD and damaged the sidewall of a GP5000 Tubeless with only about 1000km on it. Was ok for a 80km spin at the weekend but was on my mind the whole way so replacing it.
    any issues fitting the GP5000?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Weepsie wrote: »
    All going well, a genesis volare frameset tomorrow to replace my sadly broken guerciotti,
    Oh, you bought that? Jealous.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭comete

Good taste, which model volare?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭comete

Snapped a spoke on my hope wheels during a club run yesterday and noticed hunt had the 36/50 wheels in stock so just pulled the trigger on them. Will get the hopes fixed/rebuilt for wet/winter rides

who_ru wrote: »

Was a pain in the hoop the first time to be honest. I walked away and came back another day and did it in no time then once I figured it out, everyone said finish at the valve but it only worked for me when I started at the valve.

Very happy with them in general though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

who_ru wrote: »

I found the GP5000 (tube type) an absolute nightmare to fit to a pair of Zonda 2 way rims. I struggled and struggled and eventually I got them on.

They're somewhat less difficult to refit following a puncture as they've stretched a bit but still a major struggle.

Get decent tyre levers would be good advice.

• Advertisement

Oh, you bought that? Jealous.

Not that one, as it was a large, and i need medium. Gasco of this parish has one though.

Tis the exact same 853 in a medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭WOT

NITTO Jaguar NJ-SP72 2 Bolt Silver Seat Post
    27.0, 210mm, W44

Sram pressfit gxp bb86 bottom bracket. 2 of them as it took me long enough to find one in stock anywhere so ordered the 2.

Also a Busch and Muller dynamo mount that's a headset spacer too. Was struggling to think of how I could mount a light on the new to me argon 18 frame and this should do the trick

Just fitted the new tyre that arrived last week as I was away for the weekend, realized while cleaning the bike that the back got damaged too, argh. Second new tyre in the post from Germany now...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭dahat

2 pairs of socks from Pongo, €40 delivered.

As my Dad says fools and money easy parted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Also a Busch and Muller dynamo mount that's a headset spacer too.
    Slowly building up to the return of commuting, and after years of indecision, definitely going Dynamo hub this time - do you have a link? I was looking at the handlebar mounts, but they seem a bit cumbersome.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gn3dr

A pair of those Pearl Izumi shoes flagged in the bargain alerts thread. To replace my Sidi's. Just looking at timelines I think I have the Sidi shoes for going on 20 years so they owe me nothing.
    https://imgur.com/a/u86pAEe

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Slowly building up to the return of commuting, and after years of indecision, definitely going Dynamo hub this time - do you have a link? I was looking at the handlebar mounts, but they seem a bit cumbersome.

https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/busch-muller-holder-headset-1-1-8/137506750/p

Is where I purchased it.

There's 1 in stock on Bike24 and Hollandbikeshop as it and the 1inch version too.

Supernova have one too for their lights too, but i don't think it's compatible with all of them or B+M ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Thanks, had a few other items in a bike24 basket so pulled the trigger. Just need the dynamo hub/ wheel and lights!

Edit - So to stay on topic, a B+M Stem Mount, Brake Cables, Gear Cables, and Spacers. Going to try to change them myself on the winter bike* before I bow to the inevitable and bring them to Cliff!

*winter bike, possibly commuter as well, which kinda has me delaying on the dynamo hub wheel. In the office more often than not might mean a more robust wheel, and perhaps the hack going back into action!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Two thule 598 roof bike carriers from Ebay, got both for 186 euro, when they are 145 each in Halfords, etc..

Advertisement