Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catching falling palm tree leaves

Options
  • 25-08-2015 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭

I unfortunately live downwind from my neighbour's palm tree which overhangs the boundary wall between our gardens.

As a result I'm getting the brunt of the falling leaves that fall into my garden.

Thankfully my neighbour has no problems with me tossing the leaves back over the wall, but when 30 or so leaves fall every 2 days it can become quite a nuisance (I guess it's the time of year for it).

The garden is small enough so even 10 leaves (each being almost about 50-70cm long) end up dominating the otherwise neat garden.

Is there anything I might suggest to my neighbour like placing netting around the base (and emptying it every few months)? I recall seeing something like that when I lived in Saudi although they might have been to stop dates falling. :rolleyes:

I have a telescopic pruner so perhaps I could cut back the brown leaves (although plenty of green ones fall too)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭hiujn

Ask your neighbour to pick them up as you are sick of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

hiujn wrote: »
    Ask your neighbour to pick them up as you are sick of it.

Well no it's a rear-garden and she has no access to it (terraced house with no side-access).

So nothing like a net exists? Can't find anything on Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well there is plenty of netting out there, but it would have to be arranged for each job. Its hard to see how a net at the base of the tree could catch leaves that are overhanging your garden and falling from a height?

You are of course entitled to cut back any branches that overhang your garden, and if it that which is causing the problems then mention it to her, and cut back anything that overhangs.

looksee wrote: »
    Well there is plenty of netting out there, but it would have to be arranged for each job. Its hard to see how a net at the base of the tree could catch leaves that are overhanging your garden and falling from a height?

Not at the base, more wrapping around the brown leaves at the bottom, then periodically empty it every few months.

To give you an idea it looks something like the tree in this image

ireland056.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

mrcheez wrote: »
    Well no it's a rear-garden and she has no access to it (terraced house with no side-access).

So nothing like a net exists? Can't find anything on Google.

I don't think one can buy manners, either one has it or not :(

• Advertisement

huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

mrcheez wrote: »
    huh?

Your neighbour is lacking manners if they don't trim their palm tree to remove the dead leaves and stop them blowing into your garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I don't think it's necessarily manners. Maybe they do maintain it. We have one in the back garden. A few weeks ago I trimmed a whole load of the dead ones off as well as a couple of new growths that I didn't want. I was pretty happy that I had everything that looked like it might fall.

Two days later there another 10 or 15 on the ground. They are plants, they shed material.

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Quadrature

It's not particularly easy to prune one of those yucca trees. They're more like a set of heads than a normal tree.

We had two in the garden and I'm not a fan. The leaves are difficult to deal with and they're incredibly fibrous. They tangle into the lawnmower blades if you even miss one or two and they're tough enough to stall a powerful petrol mower.

The flowers / blossom also doesn't smell very nice and is extremely pungent.

kylith wrote: »
    Your neighbour is lacking manners if they don't trim their palm tree to remove the dead leaves and stop them blowing into your garden.

See other comments, it's not just the dead leaves that are falling, but some green.

It's a windy coastal location so leaves will fall, what I'm trying to find is a solution whereby the falling leaves can be caught before they fall on the ground.

I understand a net would just wrap the brown leaves, but I wouldn't mind too much if the leaf number was reduced rather than completely eliminated.

Judging by the responses there doesn't appear to be a standard solution to this issue, so some sort of bespoke netting might be a solution, or perhaps I'll just use my telescopic pruner to trim back the brown leaves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Quadrature

You'd actually need to get the overhanging "heras" pruned back entirely. Pruning the leaves won't do you much good and might even damage the tree.

Advertisement