Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secure booking with card, agreement to pay cash

Options
  • 25-08-2015 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

I've had to secure booking the likes of hotels etc with a card before myself and assumed this was if I didn't show up, they'd still charge the card as they would be unlikely to sell the room on the night of me not showing up, which is fair enough. My friend worked in a hotel reception and said it wasn't actually legal for them to charge the card for the amount if the guest didn't show up though?

Ive a customer who wants to pay me cash and can't pay a deposit beforehand, but in order to be sure I still get paid should they pull out at the last minute, I was thinking to ask for card details to secure the booking and say id have to charge the card should they fail to proceed with the booking.

is this legal and common practice? would i run into any problems doing this? its just they are taking place I could have for other customers but id have to find and secure other customers too, wheras i have this one saying they will go ahead with booking but can only pay cash on day and would prefer me not to charge their card before hand so i was thinking just take their number in the event of them cancelling.

cheers for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I can't see any issues in doing this. The terms and conditions state you will be charged a night (or whatever) for a no show, so I can't see any legal implications in doing so.

Advertisement