Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A week to spare in Thailand?

• 25-08-2015 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

Hey boardsies!

I have a week to 10 days to spare when I land in Bangkok next month. At that stage I will have travelled through Vietnam & Cambodia.

I was thinking about heading to Tokyo for 5-6 days. I'm also playing around with the idea of scuba diving in Ko Tao- the only drawback being that I cant swim!! I'm not sure if its worth going to based on that fact. Another option I'm considering is Chang Mai.

Any suggestions on how to spend it folks?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39 EJ Aza

Where are you flying out of or what is your onward plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

Into Bangkok, 10 days to spare, and then a flight out of Bangkok back home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39 EJ Aza

Undertow wrote: »
    Into Bangkok, 10 days to spare, and then a flight out of Bangkok back home!

Depends what you are into, could easily go north to Chang Mai and onto Pai for a 3 day jungle trek and then fly south to the islands. East or west.

East for Koh Tao for diving and Ang Nong national park and if you fancied a party in Koh Phangan.

Or west for Koh Phi Phi (boat trip to the beach), Koh Lanta and Krabi (climbing etc)

If you can pick up any bit of swimming you will be OK to pass the open water. Know a few people who couldn't swim, managed to learn how to doggy paddle and got theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 scrutable

I'd recommend Ao Nang in Krabi, quick cheap plane away from Bangkok.

From there take a trip to Tiger Cave temple, climb the 1200+ steps and watch the sunset from the top.

Take a trip out to Phi Phi islands (the famous beach from The Beach)

Go climbing and exploring caves around Railay, you don't need any climbing gear unless you want to do that sort of climbing, there's plenty of fun scrambling routes.

Learn to swim and go snorkelling.

Go watch Muay Thai boxing.

Eat in Leo's Cafe and ask the very friendly owner Mark for tips on where's fun to explore, he knows all the places.

I live in Chiang Mai and have been all over Thailand and if a friend was coming over for a short visit, I'd take them to Ao Nang in Krabi for exploration and adventure.

Or if you want girls and the biggest adults playground on earth, Pattaya. Never been there myself but it'd be an experience unlike any other.

scrutable wrote: »
    I'd recommend Ao Nang in Krabi, quick cheap plane away from Bangkok.

From there take a trip to Tiger Cave temple, climb the 1200+ steps and watch the sunset from the top.

Take a trip out to Phi Phi islands (the famous beach from The Beach)

Go climbing and exploring caves around Railay, you don't need any climbing gear unless you want to do that sort of climbing, there's plenty of fun scrambling routes.

Learn to swim and go snorkelling.

Go watch Muay Thai boxing.

Eat in Leo's Cafe and ask the very friendly owner Mark for tips on where's fun to explore, he knows all the places.

I live in Chiang Mai and have been all over Thailand and if a friend was coming over for a short visit, I'd take them to Ao Nang in Krabi for exploration and adventure.

Or if you want girls and the biggest adults playground on earth, Pattaya. Never been there myself but it'd be an experience unlike any other.

That sounds like a great plan man! I ended up booking 6 nights in a hotel on Koh Chang now. I was thinking it might not be a bad way to spend a week after tearing through Vietnam & Cambodia, and before going home for the Christmas. Now you've got me thinking twice! I can cancel it if needs be.

I have been around Phuket before and didn't think much of it. But I went about it arseways. Sunsets, snorkelling and caving sounds bloody brilliant! Mmmm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Koh Changs pretty sweet anyway. Nice place for a chilled out week.

On the one hand I'd highly reccomend diving in Koh Tao. It was one of my favourite parts of my trip to Asia. On the other I'd be slightly wary, I've just spent my entire savings on a Divemaster course and a load of dive gear on the back of that!!

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Koh Changs pretty sweet anyway. Nice place for a chilled out week.

On the one hand I'd highly reccomend diving in Koh Tao. It was one of my favourite parts of my trip to Asia. On the other I'd be slightly wary, I've just spent my entire savings on a Divemaster course and a load of dive gear on the back of that!!

Hahaha! You know that was actually my original plan, before discovering that it was monsoon season on the west coast at that time of the year!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

Hahaha! You know that was actually my original plan, before discovering that it was monsoon season on the west coast at that time of the year!! :(

I live on the west coast of Thailand, very south west to be exact. I don't know if you've been to Thailand before but the monsoon season is not as bad as you would think. The rain and wind is generally very short lived, and I have been diving bang in the middle of the monsoon season. I went to Phi Phi, the it was amazing. Its sheltered from a lot of the wind (and the swells that come with that) and is pretty much game all year round.

I also go to Koh Lipe often (I live near pier where you get the ferry). Its not as well known as some of the other islands but it is great for diving and really beautiful. Plenty of dive schools and amazing beaches. The monsoon season here is May til October and its pretty mild...more annoying than anything else.

So don't rule out diving because of the time of year. Plenty of information available online with regards to where is good for diving in the wet season. I'll second what scrutable said, Krabi is awesome. I was there a few weeks ago.

I live on the west coast of Thailand, very south west to be exact. I don't know if you've been to Thailand before but the monsoon season is not as bad as you would think. The rain and wind is generally very short lived, and I have been diving bang in the middle of the monsoon season. I went to Phi Phi, the it was amazing. Its sheltered from a lot of the wind (and the swells that come with that) and is pretty much game all year round.

I also go to Koh Lipe often (I live near pier where you get the ferry). Its not as well known as some of the other islands but it is great for diving and really beautiful. Plenty of dive schools and amazing beaches. The monsoon season here is May til October and its pretty mild...more annoying than anything else.

So don't rule out diving because of the time of year. Plenty of information available online with regards to where is good for diving in the wet season. I'll second what scrutable said, Krabi is awesome. I was there a few weeks ago.

Krabi definitely sounds tempting! Rock climbing and snorkelling sunsets and the likes would be right up my alley! :)

Whats your general opinion on Koh Chang? Are there many adventure options there & good beaches? I provisionally booked this really nice hotel for a really good price, and the idea of chilling out there for a few days sounded good but this has got me thinking again! How would I get there from Bangkok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

Krabi definitely sounds tempting! Rock climbing and snorkelling sunsets and the likes would be right up my alley! :)

Whats your general opinion on Koh Chang? Are there many adventure options there & good beaches? I provisionally booked this really nice hotel for a really good price, and the idea of chilling out there for a few days sounded good but this has got me thinking again! How would I get there from Bangkok?

Koh Chang is awesome, probably my favorite island in Thailand (that I've been too). Plenty of things to do; diving, elephant treks, trails, beautiful waterfalls etc. There's also an adventure park which was good fun, can't remember the name of it. There is no shortage of amazing beaches too. Definitely a good place to chill out!!

You can get the bus from Bangkok. There's a regular bus and a minivan. I took the regular bus from Ekkamai bus station, was about 700 baht I think. The minivan is cheaper, but I can't remember where that left from. You can also fly as far as I know (to Trat airport) but that would more expensive. The bus was about 5 hours I think. It stops at the pier, then you just hop on the ferry. If you leave early (about 7) you'll be there mid afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

If you want to do something that is certainly out-of-the-box, and will probably change the way you think... why not spend an afternoon visiting an inmate at BangKwang Central Prison aka. The Bangkok Hilton. If you need to ask yourself "Why on earth would I do that?" then it's not for you, but it's something surreal, but must not be treated as a tourist activity.

PM me for more info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

JohnCleary wrote: »
    If you want to do something that is certainly out-of-the-box, and will probably change the way you think... why not spend an afternoon visiting an inmate at BangKwang Central Prison aka. The Bangkok Hilton. If you need to ask yourself "Why on earth would I do that?" then it's not for you, but it's something surreal, but must not be treated as a tourist activity.

PM me for more info.

went there a few years ago met a dutch guy banged up for drug trafficking he was there 12 years at that stage he was hoping to get a kings pardon to be transferred to a prison in holland not sure if e ever got the pardon.

well worth a visit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

gustafo wrote: »
    went there a few years ago met a dutch guy banged up for drug trafficking he was there 12 years at that stage he was hoping to get a kings pardon to be transferred to a prison in holland not sure if e ever got the pardon.

well worth a visit

I'm going back to visit my new friend again in December. Bit mad that i'm organising a trip to Thailand around a 45 min prison visit

Love that suggestion mate- PM sent!

Advertisement