Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA summer work and means testing

Options
  • 26-08-2015 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭

My sister is going on to her final year in college. She's getting BTEA and has recently gotten temporary full time work. So she'll be working the last 3 weeks prior to college, and will do part time once she starts. She's also worked one week during the summer full time also. The rest of the time she has been on JSA.

Anyway, she's a bit stressed as she's found out that her work will be means tested and her payment may be reduced as she'll find money tight.

Since she'll have only worked a maximum of 4 weeks during the entire summer, do you think her payment will be affected? It's only minimum wage if that makes a difference.

Thought I'd ask for her sake and try and get her some info to stop her panicking. All advice appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    My sister is going on to her final year in college. She's getting BTEA and has recently gotten temporary full time work. So she'll be working the last 3 weeks prior to college, and will do part time once she starts. She's also worked one week during the summer full time also. The rest of the time she has been on JSA.

Anyway, she's a bit stressed as she's found out that her work will be means tested and her payment may be reduced as she'll find money tight.

Since she'll have only worked a maximum of 4 weeks during the entire summer, do you think her payment will be affected? It's only minimum wage if that makes a difference.

Thought I'd ask for her sake and try and get her some info to stop her panicking. All advice appreciated :)

My understanding is that she should be ok once she is not working once her course re-starts - however, if the company is keeping her on part time it may change things slightly. Her best bet would be to talk to contact the SW and get them to clarify the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

I was speaking to the back to education section on the phone about this a few months ago about work and means test during summer impacting my term time btea rate. I was told because I started in 2012 the rule charge didn't concern me. Would your sister be in a similar situation but local office are applying the guidelines incorrectly? Good luck either way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

No, she started in 2013, so the new rules must apply. It's seems like it's impossible to get a straigh answer from their website but I told her to call tomorrow and hopefully get the right info.

She's hoping to keep part time work on the weekends, which might be where the issue lies.

As someone looking in it seems crazy that it's ok if you start the job during the academic year, but as soon as you work the summer, no matter how briefly, everything will get means tested. It's like the system encourages you to stay on JSA just for the reassurance of maintaining your payment come September.

Advertisement