Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a hp spectre x360

• 26-08-2015 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I'm looking to buy a spectre x360, they're priced around $1000 (about €850) on US websites that don't ship here. Any Irish sites I find have them at around €1600? Why is this? Is it all down to tax and import duties? Is there a way around it?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Which model are you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 emc1997

the HP Spectre x360 Convertible Laptop 13-4009na with the i5 processor, 8gb of ram and 256gb ssd

That's the model that I have.

The cheapest I saw it was €1,199 in Ireland, when Harvey Norman stocked it but they appear not to sell it anymore.

Best other price is £899 on HP UK Store.

Do you know of any way to get the cheaper american one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

emc1997 wrote: »
    Do you know of any way to get the cheaper american one?

The problem with importing from the states is that you will most likely have to pay customs on top, (VAT, import duty, handling fee) which usually comes to 25% of the purchase price. So it may not come through cheaper at all.

• Advertisement

devnull wrote: »
    That's the model that I have.

The cheapest I saw it was €1,199 in Ireland, when Harvey Norman stocked it but they appear not to sell it anymore.

Best other price is £899 on HP UK Store.

How do you find it? Worth the money?

It's the most expensive laptop I've ever bought, but I don't regret buying it. Every bit of it feels premium and top rate construction and parts and performance.

The speakers are a bit weak compared to bigger notebooks (as you'd expect) and the microphone is not as good as it was on the HP DM4 it replaced, but thats the only issues I have.

Just be careful with the keyboard because it's sensitive to even a small amount of liquid, mine is at HP at the moment to have the keyboard replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cetusa

Is it just me or does the hp spectre x360 seem very scarce these days? Even amazon uk doesn't have the 8gb i5 256gb model. I'm looking to buy it but I was considering settling for the 8gb i5 128gb version on Amazon.fr for €1099.
    Best price I could find for an 8gb i5 model. Would there be problems with warranties if I bought it there though?

There are new models in production, they've just been announced in the US, the 41xx range replacing the 40xx range with Windows 10 pre-installed and some other changes.

The 40xx range is out of production, I believe but what is being sold is whatever has already been manufactured.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cetusa

Ah right I was thinking there might be a new one in the works causing the scarcity! Seems very soon to be releasing a new version though! Probably worth holding off for a while and waiting for the new revision anyway.

May I ask have you noticed any issues with your wifi on the x360? I started seeing a few posts about some wifi issues recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭terryduff12

Was in pc world Sligo few weeks back seen hp spectre for €850 couldn't be exactly sure if it was the i5 or i3 model. Back to school special deal on

The only model PC world Stock is 4GB Ram I5, 128GB HD.

Specs are too low really for it to be future proof, especially when the RAM cannot be upgraded.

Reason for the new version is Windows 10, pretty much.

Had no problems with Wifi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Was in pc world Sligo few weeks back seen hp spectre for €850 couldn't be exactly sure if it was the i5 or i3 model. Back to school special deal on

Not a Spectre you didn't. Probably a Pavilion x360 at that price point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Not a Spectre you didn't. Probably a Pavilion x360 at that price point.

No i3 Spectre X360 anyway, I'd say it was the Pav alright.

New models now out:
    http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/offer.aspx?p=c-spectre-x360

Including some different colour options and some limited edition bundles.

Advertisement