Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Remembering Old Bars and Clubs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Is it the Czech Inn now? I was only ever there when already very drunk so don't even remember exactly where it was, just that it was awful.

Fairly certain it is, possibly the Czech in occupies the spot next door, Isolde's is gone for possibly ten years at the this stage.
    Downstairs and upstairs in the Czech Inn are very different beasts, the upstairs is a "traditional" eastern european bar, which since its open very late,you can actually have a conversation in the place and reasonable bouncers it actually serves a purpose. Downstairs is just bad disco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Just the standard of Dj'ing and atmosphere was exceptional. You would often have buses of people from Limerick, Waterford, Dublin etc especially for the bigger dance nights sweat on saturday, imrama on Thursday and Sunday was very popular too. More alternative on Wednesdays and Fridays with freakscene and gigantic. Its last year or so was terrible after a walk out by the dj's after an altercation with a bouncer I think.

Jack Plugs was the bar next door to the entrance of Henrys became rattle sanke annies and something else before demolition.

How about Tuesdays in Zoe's? Cant remember what it was called but was a great night.

I remember it now.. is Snotty Joes still there?

I was a student in Crawford and I played in a Cork based blues band for a couple of years. We used to play Charlies, Mojos, and Nancy Spains regularly. We also had a regular spot upstairs in Sir Henrys and the odd time we played the Meeting House in Middleton. The good old days :) !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I remember it now.. is Snotty Joes still there?

I was a student in Crawford and I played in a Cork based blues band for a couple of years. We used to play Charlies, Mojos, and Nancy Spains regularly. We also had a regular spot upstairs in Sir Henrys and the odd time we played the Meeting House in Middleton. The good old days :) !

Snotty Joes, theres still a pub there but cant remember the name. 40is biker type crowd I think.
    I was never fond off nancies but was a college favourite in the late 90s. I drank in the meeting place a few times too - Rory Gallagher tribute bar vibe if I remember correctly.

Snotty Joes, theres still a pub there but cant remember the name. 40is biker type crowd I think.
    I was never fond off nancies but was a college favourite in the late 90s. I drank in the meeting place a few times too - Rory Gallagher tribute bar vibe if I remember correctly.

yes, we covered some Gallagher tunes, thats how we got the gig in the first place. The Meeting House was one of those places you were well looked after if you happened to be playing there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Remember neros like yesterday.. I was in the Shamrock a couple of times too.

It was a better time. Less fights on The Diamond after the lads got out their frustrations wearing the face off some young one during the slow set/erection section. The girl fights were scary though, gawd they could be vicious sometimes standing up for their man.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    It was a better time. Less fights on The Diamond after the lads got out their frustrations wearing the face off some young one during the slow set/erection section. The girl fights were scary though, gawd they could be vicious sometimes standing up for their man.

thats why I drank in the Schooners, it was a pacifists bar :)

some great bands played there too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

The greatest travesty visited on Galway was closing Taylor's and opening a lap dancing joint in its stead. That bar was the best, with oul' crochety Seamus.

Padraicin's and the Harbour were mental.

I'd some great times at 110th street in the Town Hall. Cuba was class. But better was O'Malleys across the road, total rave cave.

Bartley Dunnes was some spot back in the day. The OLD Foggy Dew, Fibbers and Bruxelles. The Welcome and Thornbush on Parnell St. Old Bruxelles. Chinaman and Charlie's.

Who could forget Sides? McGonagles of course. No beer only wine. The Pink Elephant for happy hour cocktails on a Tuesday, no idea how we got in there.

Misspent youth indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Paparazzi and The Top Hat, both in Dun Laoghaire.

Ziggy's in Deansgrange

Those places were just mental.

Am I the only one that remembers the top hat in dun laoghaire being a roller skating place? I have a vague memory of going there when I was a kid, maybe I'm totally wrong though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Switch in Temple bar was a great nightclub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Anyone remember the night in zoe's cork (upstairs of black bush/scotts, not sure what it is now) around 98/99/2000 i reckon called Mór Disco?

I first went after being in a hostel in London and reading the top 20 European nightclubs and it was the only Irish one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Am I the only one that remembers the top hat in dun laoghaire being a roller skating place? I have a vague memory of going there when I was a kid, maybe I'm totally wrong though!

Yes it was. I think they were called roller discos. I think that must have been before 1983ish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Yes it was. I think they were called roller discos. I think that must have been before 1983ish.

This would have been the late 80s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

I remember the roller disco in the Top Hat fondly, though I preferred Ice Skating in Dolphin's Barn. Always ended up on my ar$e in both places though.
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

This would have been the late 80s.

Yeah, thinking about it, that makes more sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

Revels nightclub Killarney?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Aidric wrote: »
    Some great raves at the Red Box down the years, particularly Dave Clarke in 2003.

Ha red box, saw more than one person attempting to eat their own head in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

There used to be a cool little bar in Howth that I used to go to for a game of pool in the late 90s/early 2000s that has now since closed. I only realized when I went to go back around 2008. Shame, used to love that place. It was up the side road where the Garda station is. Loads of fishermen used to drink in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

Ballybunion had the Alantic and then you had a nightclub in Banna just outside Tralee

Hahaha, I had my 14th birthday party there! What a kip. I caught a stray punch the minute I walked in the door. They had to bolt down all the seats and chairs to stop them being used as weapons. They locals didn't like townies much. Or anybody else, for that matter.

Still though, there's a lot to be said for that lawless mad max style partying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

DublinCJM wrote: »
    And Faces was what became of The Breamor Rooms in Churchtown...

Nobody go to Annabels in the Burlington?

Remember in the eighties having to put on a suit to get in there :D

stopped going to annabels after brian murphy. I never thought it was that great anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

Ha red box, saw more than one person attempting to eat their own head in there

Went here a good bit,Had a few tasty drinks in the chocolate bar before hand a few times.

I think I was way out of my depth though, I was just there for a drink and a dance, loved dancing up on the stage. i think there were people on far more than drink though and I was too innocent and young to realise!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Zenniths or K2 on Howth head, can't remember which came first...couldn't swing a cat in the place. No nostalgia coming from me on this one, the place was a shįtehole and used as a last resort kip in times of desperation. Think it's where a heavily pregnant Sharon Curly decided to get wrecked in and spewed in her handbag. This scene was entirely befitting of the place and its punters. Got kind of an attempted hand job given to me through my Wrangler jeans and was delighted with myself, other than that only bad memories and seriously long walks home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

thats why I drank in the Schooners, it was a pacifists bar :)

some great bands played there too!

Might have been more down to the sweet smelling haze as you walked in.

:D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The Blue Banana in Clondalkin. Remember there were shots fired outside two Saturday nights in a row. If you wanted to go more upmarket, there was Cocos on the Belgard Road (which I think might be still open).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

Fibbers when I was in college, before it got done up in the mid-late 90's (done up being a bit of a stretch, but altered no less):D
    The back Gate, sister club of Fibbers, college nights - hated the place but my friends loved it. There was a corridor that sometimes was open that led into Fibbers, used to disappear in there after a dring or two.

Once I started working,
    The Thing Moate,
    Colombia Mills,
    Pravda - I loved that place.
    Redbox
    The Kitchen,
    The Mean Fiddler, became the Village, now Opium.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Does anyone else remember Shaft in Dublin? I was only there a couple of times and was beginning to think I dreamt it but I heard they have reunion gigs now and again on Tonik radio

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

The Blue Banana in Clondalkin. Remember there were shots fired outside two Saturday nights in a row. If you wanted to go more upmarket, there was Cocos on the Belgard Road (which I think might be still open).
    I was working the door one of the nights :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

paulbok wrote: »
    Fibbers when I was in college, before it got done up in the mid-late 90's (done up being a bit of a stretch, but altered no less):D
    The back Gate, sister club of Fibbers, college nights - hated the place but my friends loved it. There was a corridor that sometimes was open that led into Fibbers, used to disappear in there after a dring or two.

Once I started working,
    The Thing Moate,
    Colombia Mills,
    Pravda - I loved that place.
    Redbox
    The Kitchen,
    The Mean Fiddler, became the Village, now Opium.

Pravda, in its first few years, was a great spot. Good service and a decent crowd. Was in there recently and it was very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭BUBBLES1978

Nijinsky's on the Curragh
    camolin in wexford
    wise guys in tullamore

all in the 90's....pure mental spots

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭DublinCJM

stopped going to annabels after brian murphy. I never thought it was that great anyway.

That was way after my time. You probably didn't even need to wear a tie to get in then :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Does anyone else remember Shaft in Dublin? I was only there a couple of times and was beginning to think I dreamt it but I heard they have reunion gigs now and again on Tonik radio

Nearly forgot about shaft.... On Ely place I think, though I was often well on by that stage.

Anyone go to Elevator on the Quays?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,366 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Shaft? You're damn right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭Grueller

Nijinsky's on the Curragh
    camolin in wexford
    wise guys in tullamore

all in the 90's....pure mental spots

Lamberts in Camolin? Turned into some dive after.
    Anybody ever frequent the beacon night club in Courtown?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Katie Daly's in Tipperary, Ballina/killaloe direction

Mad place.. underage drinking, fighting, shifting and general culchie shenanigans

it was mainly disco's but sometimes they would have live acts like Gina dale haze and the champions, Linda Martin & Chips, The Fureys, Smokie etc etc

and on the odd occasion they would have a "video Disco" a big screen showing videos of the major pop hits of the time

ahhh those were the days *sigh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Henry's was exceptional. Used also go to the Oval before renovation. Was never a regular but was in the Liberty plenty of times - it was the place that sold cans and used to be frequented by the frank and walters?
    How about Jack Plugs, was my first regular? Used to play a lot of suede, stone roses etc.

Don't forget Fanny Adams either.

I used to really like the Bodega as it was in the late 90s. The current version of the Bodega does nothing for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Just the standard of Dj'ing and atmosphere was exceptional. You would often have buses of people from Limerick, Waterford, Dublin etc especially for the bigger dance nights sweat on saturday, imrama on Thursday and Sunday was very popular too. More alternative on Wednesdays and Fridays with freakscene and gigantic. Its last year or so was terrible after a walk out by the dj's after an altercation with a bouncer I think.

Jack Plugs was the bar next door to the entrance of Henrys became rattle sanke annies and something else before demolition.

How about Tuesdays in Zoe's? Cant remember what it was called but was a great night.

I was a Wed/Fri person in Henry's, rather than the dance nights. It was an exceptional club - it played the best selection of music, freedom to mosh and dance. Cheap drinks and a different atmosphere in every room. I have so many fond memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

remember when the Gaiety used to be open as a late bar?
    Didn't they show old films too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭Drop the Ball

philstar wrote: »
    Katie Daly's in Tipperary, Ballina/killaloe direction

Mad place.. underage drinking, fighting, shifting and general culchie shenanigans...ahhh those were the days *sigh

Katie Daly's, you could not have described any better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭John T Carroll

The Wharf Tavern in (or near) Alexander Basin, one of the best, if not THE best pint(s) of Guiness I have drank in a long life of stout drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

There used to be a cool little bar in Howth that I used to go to for a game of pool in the late 90s/early 2000s that has now since closed. I only realized when I went to go back around 2008. Shame, used to love that place. It was up the side road where the Garda station is. Loads of fishermen used to drink in it.

That place used to be called the lighthouse. The Cock in Howth is also closed and does anyone remember The Coach house beside the Hotel ( Good times).
    Also when O'Connells used to be the pier house it was a lot better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Zenniths or K2 on Howth head, can't remember which came first...couldn't swing a cat in the place. No nostalgia coming from me on this one, the place was a shįtehole and used as a last resort kip in times of desperation. Think it's where a heavily pregnant Sharon Curly decided to get wrecked in and spewed in her handbag. This scene was entirely befitting of the place and its punters. Got kind of an attempted hand job given to me through my Wrangler jeans and was delighted with myself, other than that only bad memories and seriously long walks home.
    That was Charlies, one of my underage drinking haunts back in the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

That was Charlies, one of my underage drinking haunts back in the day

I remember that place well, didn't they used to bring out chips and sausages at some point during the night?

My stomping ground was Legends of Sound in the Gresham hotel, still miss it to this day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

NV Nightclub was my favourite club before they went and called a bunch of their customers knackers and c*nts on Facebook leading to a bankcruptcy inducing boycott by customers :p

Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaysus good time Charlies havent heard that name uttered in a while.
    The disco bar in the racecourse in Baldoyle was good fun or Barcode, anyone remember that place

Buckfast W wrote: »
    Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaysus good time Charlies havent heard that name uttered in a while.
    The disco bar in the racecourse in Baldoyle was good fun or Barcode, anyone remember that place

Barcode was in the gym in Fairview wasn't it? I used to go there until they started pumping dance music into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,371 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Club Sara in rathfarnam.
    Been in a fair oul few scraps down there. Once the tallaght lads mixed with the white church heads shît would hit the fan.

Best thing to happen rathfarnham was that kip closing down. Scum magnet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Buckfast W wrote: »

Came to post about barcode. What a place. One wrong turn at the loo and you'd be surrounded by Dracula statues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

Anyone go to Club USI in Dublin? You had to get a stamp on your student card to get in, and once in you paid around £2 or £2.50 per pint.
    I had many great nights in there.

Barcode was a mad place, yeah it was in the gym in Fairview (Westwood). They had u need sex toilets and all. Funny thing was they had planning and license permission for a bar for members, just not a bar that could hold about a thousand people, they were back and forth in the courts for years over it until they finally got shut down. I reckon everything is still in the place though.

fjon wrote: »
    Anyone go to Club USI in Dublin? You had to get a stamp on your student card to get in, and once in you paid around £2 or £2.50 per pint.
    I had many great nights in there.

Yeah I used to spend many an evening playing pool there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

Galavan's of New Ross in the 90s anyone??

Advertisement