Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving out early

Options
  • 26-08-2015 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi all!

I rent a bedroom in a 3 bed apt in Docks. Our plan was to stay here for a while, maybe a year and see how things are. However, since everything goes well, we decided to move on. So, my wife and son, are coming in Galway at mid October. I am supposed to stay in this room until July 2016*.

What is the best thing to do?

Should I advertise this room myself, find another tenant and then tell my landowner I am leaving, but here you are, this guy is getting in immediately?

Should I just tell him, and try to help him as much as I can (arrange the viewings for example), so he can find another one?

Can he disagree and force me to keep paying for the room?

Any other options?

* I am at the office, so I do not have the lease with me, to review details.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Does the owner live in the apartment? If not, is your lease for your room or did you jointly sign a lease with the other inhabitants?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

No. We are three tenants and everyone has his own lease for a bedroom and usage of common rooms (kitchen, living room, bathroom).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Wizard! wrote: »
    No. We are three tenants and everyone has his own lease for a bedroom and usage of common rooms (kitchen, living room, bathroom).

Firstly, notify your landlord of your intentions asap. Tell him you'd like to assign the lease. If he says no, you get to leave without penalty. If he says yes, you must find someone to replace you who is also agreeable to the landlord. Perhaps talk to your roommates about people they might know who want to move in.

One of them is leaving on 26th of September, before any new tenant would come in (my plan is to move out between Oct 1st and Oct 10th).
    The other one, is in a similar path, since he just had an interview for another job (in Castlebar I think).
    So, now he has three tenants, and in a month or so, we are all leaving.
    I want to do my best at least to cover my actions.

Bringing that up, since I am probably signing a new lease this week.
    If I leave early, am I loosing my deposit, or this is only landowner's insurance in case I have done damages or leave unpaid bills?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

If I leave early, am I loosing my deposit, or this is only landowner's insurance in case I have done damages or leave unpaid bills?

Have you sought permission to reassign the lease from the landlord? Have you sought an alternative tenant?

athtrasna wrote: »
    Have you sought permission to reassign the lease from the landlord? Have you sought an alternative tenant?
    Actually I am going to follow the instructions given above. After I sing my new lease, I am going to give him a notice of 10-20 days, until the end of September, which is payed.

So he can keep the deposit if for example he have not found another tenant? (pretty hard this period, I was calling 5 minutes after an ad was published, and the room was gone :eek: )

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Why are you signing a new lease?

Actually I am going to follow the instructions given above.

What instructions above? Mine, where I said notify the landlord asap of your intentions? Don't spring this on him with 10 days notice, even if you have the perfect person to replace yourself. It's better to keep him in the loop, he may even be more sympathetic to your situation if you're not leaving him in the lurch.

the_syco wrote: »
    Why are you signing a new lease?
    Because right now I am living in a shared apt. I am renting a house for my family who will come over to Galway.
    What instructions above? Mine, where I said notify the landlord asap of your intentions? Don't spring this on him with 10 days notice, even if you have the perfect person to replace yourself. It's better to keep him in the loop, he may even be more sympathetic to your situation if you're not leaving him in the lurch.
    So you suggested to let him know that I am leaving, before I even find a place to stay? I should give him a date, right? I could not do that, since things here are pretty hard and you do not know how long it would take to find a house. We expanded our options and found something in Tuam. I was calling advertisers the same day they were publishing the ad and I was told that they already had arrange too many viewings. How am I supposed to give notice in such conditions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The one thing you need to do when viewing is to have a deposit in your back pocket to pay then and there if you find somewhere suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

Not looked lately but try Headford, having lived and commuted in Galway I always found Headford quicker than tuam to get to.

As for signing a lease you could assume a part 4 tenancy and not sign for a year. Besides with adequate notice a landlord should not hold back deposit but may charge advertising costs. Best thing to do is talk to your landlord. Moving house is stressful but tbh always build In the costs of the overlap.

Because right now I am living in a shared apt. I am renting a house for my family who will come over to Galway.

So you suggested to let him know that I am leaving, before I even find a place to stay? I should give him a date, right? I could not do that, since things here are pretty hard and you do not know how long it would take to find a house. We expanded our options and found something in Tuam. I was calling advertisers the same day they were publishing the ad and I was told that they already had arrange too many viewings. How am I supposed to give notice in such conditions?

I didn't say to give notice, I said to let him know your intentions. A heads-up for the landlord means he's expecting you to come to him at some stage to give notice. I guarantee the landlord will be more accommodating when you keep him informed.

He might be willing to be flexible or even have someone in mind to replace you, but that certainly won't happen if you give 10 days notice that you're leaving.

Advertisement