Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking about joining the Gardaí?

• 26-08-2015 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I am currently in the Army but for the past few weeks have been thinking about joing the guards. I would like to try for the Regional Support Unit with time, i know you need to have 4 years experience in order to be elegible to apply for the RSU but otherwise my knowledge on the subject is limited. Can anybody shed some light or give me info on this, what its like or is it worth trying for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

I wouldn't apply to join unless you would be happy to do regular uniform policing potentially for an extended period of time. Technically you can apply for regional or national units after three years but in reality those positions are rare and highly sought after. Competition for those places is fierce and it would be unheard of for someone with 3 years service to be successful.

Realistically you would probably be policing at local level for 10 years plus before you might get an opportunity like that, particularly since due to no recruitment for five years there are lots of very experienced gardai stuck on regular units for years due to lack of Garda numbers who would more than likely be ahead of you for those kind of positions.

If you are interested in policing as a career and are realistic about how quickly or far you can advance then I would apply. However if your focus is narrowly on the ERU or the RSU and not general policing then I would think long and hard about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Richyroberts

holohw wrote: »
    I am currently in the Army but for the past few weeks have been thinking about joing the guards. I would like to try for the Regional Support Unit with time, i know you need to have 4 years experience in order to be elegible to apply for the RSU but otherwise my knowledge on the subject is limited. Can anybody shed some light or give me info on this, what its like or is it worth trying for?

I would apply.if you want it bad enough you will get it!the expierience you have gained in the defence forces will put you ahead of the pack but if I was you I would get as many related courses out of the army before you leave,some kind of close protection course, tactical room clearance or even reconaissance ( surveillance) would be great!in my expierience in the job I find you have to be able to do something that not many can do!anyone who gets on selection courses for the eru(don't really know what the requirements are for rsu as I am in the DMR)are going to be fit focused and determined,give the instructors something to think about and say this guy would improve the unit and can add something different!personally I think if you have army expierience in any of the above particularly close protection they would snap you up after four years service,providing they are recruiting!i know they took an ex ranger in with around 4 or five years service,goes without saying a good work return and disciplinary record are a must also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

I would apply.if you want it bad enough you will get it!the expierience you have gained in the defence forces will put you ahead of the pack but if I was you I would get as many related courses out of the army before you leave,some kind of close protection course, tactical room clearance or even reconaissance ( surveillance) would be great!in my expierience in the job I find you have to be able to do something that not many can do!anyone who gets on selection courses for the eru(don't really know what the requirements are for rsu as I am in the DMR)are going to be fit focused and determined,give the instructors something to think about and say this guy would improve the unit and can add something different!personally I think if you have army expierience in any of the above particularly close protection they would snap you up after four years service,providing they are recruiting!i know they took an ex ranger in with around 4 or five years service,goes without saying a good work return and disciplinary record are a must also

Richy v informative thanks.

When it comes to Tatoos do members of the ERU and RSU have to have them covered (arms for example) because traditionally RSU would be wearing short sleeved polos wouldn't they.

Not something that applies to me but I'm just curious

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Richyroberts

D Trent wrote: »
    Richy v informative thanks.

When it comes to Tatoos do members of the ERU and RSU have to have them covered (arms for example) because traditionally RSU would be wearing short sleeved polos wouldn't they.

Not something that applies to me but I'm just curious
    It applies across the force,supposed to have them covered with long sleeve,but I know loads of gards that don't!as regards eru 80%+ of their work is done in civie clothes and the rest in suits or black gear so wouldn't be an issue!not sure as rsu are supposed to be always uniformed and as u said have short sleeve tops but it shouldn't be a problem,under armour top would cover it or I'm sure they have jacket issued

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭danube

holohw wrote: »
    I am currently in the Army
    Out of interest why do you want to leave the army after a few weeks? Is wasn't that bad was it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement