Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updating Rented Accommodation.

Options
  • 26-08-2015 12:01pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Basically rented place for years, never met estate agents from day 1, few years in the landlord sells as they are bankrupt. The buyer is buying multiple apartments and doesn't even bother viewing most of them, including mine. I imagine they have no idea what is even in the apartment or the state of it. I have not ever met anybody since the buy-out either. The furniture here is pretty old by now, teh couch is bad, the house needs to be painted. I am considering buying a new couch and mattress, repainting the interior etc. Is it ridiculous to do this without the landlords consent? I don't really want to break the silence and talk to anybody seeing as the rent is the same for 4+ years. In previous experience you approach people and they take the opportunity to up the rent. Would somebody really mind if I'm secretly making their apartment better? :D

I doubt I could even get them to keep/store their old crappy furniture as they don't even live within hundreds of km.
    Frankly I doubt they even know anything about the interior at all, all they see is a number in their account every month and seem to think nothing more of the place.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Pac2015

Basically rented place for years, never met estate agents from day 1, few years in the landlord sells as they are bankrupt. The buyer is buying multiple apartments and doesn't even bother viewing most of them, including mine. I imagine they have no idea what is even in the apartment or the state of it. I have not ever met anybody since the buy-out either. The furniture here is pretty old by now, teh couch is bad, the house needs to be painted. I am considering buying a new couch and mattress, repainting the interior etc. Is it ridiculous to do this without the landlords consent? I don't really want to break the silence and talk to anybody seeing as the rent is the same for 4+ years. In previous experience you approach people and they take the opportunity to up the rent. Would somebody really mind if I'm secretly making their apartment better? :D

I doubt I could even get them to keep/store their old crappy furniture as they don't even live within hundreds of km.
    Frankly I doubt they even know anything about the interior at all, all they see is a number in their account every month and seem to think nothing more of the place.

Do the repairs if they dont know what the inside is like then where is the problem but I would take before and after pictures and also keep all receipts for what ever you buy because if they do come along and hike up your rent down the line you would have this to fall back on to negotiate.

Advertisement