Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Johnstown reputation

Options
  • 26-08-2015 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Moving to Johnstown, Navan from Blanchardstown, Dublin.

Just reading this thread has me worried now, but I realise this was discussed about 5 years ago http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056298311

Seems that there is some crime and disturbances in the Johnstown area, and also Navan as a town. It may have improved over the years. I

I have lived in Blanchardstown for 8 years and have read the reports on the occasional murder and crime scene there. There are knackers hanging around here and there, and my bike got stolen and a car radio. However, I never felt unsafe once. **** happens.

Some friends told me that Navan is a nice area, others tell me its a kip.

My fiancee and I are planning a family extension, and it would be a worry if Johnstown is not as lovely as we thought it was to be. The estate where we rented the house looked absolutely fab, and the house is fantastic.

Is the Johnstown comparable to Blanchardstown or better or worse?

Any insights are welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Severely regretting my decision to take the house

http://www.athlumneywood.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/scan.pdf

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I remember when we lived in Clonee we went to look at Johnstown as an alternative when we were looking to move. It looked exactly the same to us as Clonee/Blanch - usual story - too many houses chucked up by developers just looking to make a quick buck, and a complete lack of facilities. Throw in a Spar or a Supervalu seems to be the Irish answer to facilities in these new areas. Glad I didn't move there tbh.

The estate I am moving to is pretty good. I have heard mixed stories now so I will see for myself what the place is like. Cant be that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Its not overly bad, but it is far too crowded with too little community interaction/social activities and services. There is a ghetto atmosphere in certain parts.

Too lazy to look up on maps but I think I know the estate you're moving to and yes its an alright spot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

To be honest it is like any other area around Navan. You will always get rough spots. While I don't live in Johnstown itself I know a few people that do. They have never told me any horror stories about the place. I do agree that there are no amenities around Johnstown itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Can you tell us which estate you're moving to?

Johnstown as a whole isn't a bad place, yes there are some parts which look very bad as they're occupied by renters who just don't care about the house and use it as a place to sleep. But all in all i've never felt unsafe in it.

My one gripe would be the gripe of everyone else, there isn't a lot in it that's a short walking distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

The place is grand. It doesn't need a Garda substation. That's just laziness. If you are comparing it to somewhere like Blanchardstown for levels of public order and crime then there is no comparison. It doesn't even come close to Blanch in that regard. Like has been said, it lacks infrastructure but it's still a nice little area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 heylin

I would just like to add that I recently moved to Johnstown myself and I like it. I don't feel unsafe. I have heard stories both online and locally of anti-social behaviour, but I have not witnessed anything I have heard. There are many areas across Ireland with minor incidents of anti-social behaviour. Johnstown is not exempt from this, but it certainly is not a ghetto as I have heard some describe it to be. It has no more anti-social behaviour than many other residential areas in Ireland.

Johnstown does have a lot of facilities. A community centre would be a good addition and a number of residents are campaigning for this at the moment. It doesn't need a Garda substation. Navan Garda Station can be effective if run well.

Johnstown is far nicer than Blanchardstown. The crime rate in Blanchardstown is far higher possibly because Blanchardstown would be a much larger area than Johnstown.

I also like Navan town itself. I believe it is has everything I could need or want. I don't feel the need to go to Dublin for anything.

Hope you're not put off Johnstown. Good luck with the move.

I have emailed the person from the report and she replied me back that most problems have been resolved. I live there now and it is quiet and no issues. Lots of kids, but no malice or whatsoever. Its all good, we love it.

Advertisement