Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stay or go?

• 26-08-2015 12:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭

Hi all!

I'm an English teacher living in Ireland, I qualified a couple of years ago. I've been working in Kent teaching for the past two and a half years and I came home in August to apply for jobs here. Basically, I've had no luck at all. I only have one subject and I've applied for every post going in that subject (which amounted to maybe 8 or 9 on educationposts) plus a few resource and SNA posts. I've heard nothing back, not even a whiff of an interview.

I've been offered a position back in Kent with a promotion and I'm really unsure about taking it. I love teaching and will happily do it anywhere but I'm conscious of how difficult it will be if I come home again, I'll be back at square one with no real Irish experience. I'm totally lost.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭janes1234

Personally I would take the position in the uk if you think you can hack it. It's very tough hereto get work and unless you're prepared to be temporary for a vety long time (6years and counting in my case). Of course it's up to you and you may well be lucky if you do decide to stay here. I guess it depends on what you want and your availability and flexibility to stay/go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Afroshack wrote: »
    Hi all!

I'm an English teacher living in Ireland, I qualified a couple of years ago. I've been working in Kent teaching for the past two and a half years and I came home in August to apply for jobs here. Basically, I've had no luck at all. I only have one subject and I've applied for every post going in that subject (which amounted to maybe 8 or 9 on educationposts) plus a few resource and SNA posts. I've heard nothing back, not even a whiff of an interview.

I've been offered a position back in Kent with a promotion and I'm really unsure about taking it. I love teaching and will happily do it anywhere but I'm conscious of how difficult it will be if I come home again, I'll be back at square one with no real Irish experience. I'm totally lost.

Just go. You can still apply for jobs for next year - IF any are advertised. The more experience you have the better chance you will have of getting a job here in the long run.

Your UK experience will be just as valid as Irish experience. More, in a way, because employers know how tough it is over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

Hey afroshack, if you end up staying in England next year maybe you could start job hunting in June or July to better your chances. I know it's not easy with arranging time off work to attend interview but English schools can be very good with that. At the very least, applying for jobs early will give you an idea of the availability of jobs in your subject. Good Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I don't think I've ever come across an English teacher who just taught English! I think it basically boils down to getting a second subject... and even then you'll be looking for sub work and starting at the bottom (unless you get lucky!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Afroshack wrote: »
    Hi all!

If you want to teach in the Irish system, you need a second subject. That's the long and the short of this one. Having been in your situation after I did the dip, I stayed, took what subbing I could find and attended college at night adding another subject over a two-year period (30 credits per year) and got TCI recognition. My job prospects rocketed as a result (mind you that wouldn't have been hard considering I only had one subject when people in UL are coming out with 3 or 4 subjects). A principal wants flexibility; thus even if they are looking for an English teacher, they want to be able to throw you into another subject if the need arises in the future.

If you come back in 5 years and you still only have a single subject, your problem remains. In short, if you're serious about moving home the sooner you get a second subject the better. I'm afraid there's no way around that (and those two years fly anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

gaiscioch wrote: »
    If you want to teach in the Irish system, you need a second subject. That's the long and the short of this one. Having been in your situation after I did the dip, I stayed, took what subbing I could find and attended college at night adding another subject over a two-year period (30 credits per year) and got TCI recognition. My job prospects rocketed as a result (mind you that wouldn't have been hard considering I only had one subject when people in UL are coming out with 3 or 4 subjects). A principal wants flexibility; thus even if they are looking for an English teacher, they want to be able to throw you into another subject if the need arises in the future.

If you come back in 5 years and you still only have a single subject, your problem remains. In short, if you're serious about moving home the sooner you get a second subject the better. I'm afraid there's no way around that (and those two years fly anyway).

Can I ask what subject you added or had you previous study? I added a subject and the diploma was 30 ects and that was two years study which meant I had to study for another two years (which I didn't mind as I enjoyed the subject). I have checked the college website and the diploma is still 30 ects which would take another two years for TC registration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Can I ask what subject you added or had you previous study? I added a subject and the diploma was 30 ects and that was two years study which meant I had to study for another two years (which I didn't mind as I enjoyed the subject). I have checked the college website and the diploma is still 30 ects which would take another two years for TC registration.

It was definitely 60 ECTS that I did, over two years - i.e. 30 ECTS per year. 54 or 56 ECTS were needed at the time, but that has gone up to 60 ECTS now. Furthermore, those ECTS, at that time, had to be taken from 2nd and 3rd year. The course title that I applied for to add on a TC-recognised subject was the Higher Diploma in Arts, but the course content was BA modules.
    An additional 10 ECTS were needed from 1st year (I had 20). So I had 80 ECTS in the subject I added on, which was precisely the same number of degree credits that I had in my two degree subjects (180 ECTS in a degree; 80 ECTS for each of the two subjects, and 20 ECTS for the 1st year subject)

Press 'ctrl' and 'f' (for 'Find') and type in "60 ECTS" into the box that pops up here and you'll see it's the general requirement:

Teaching Council Registration
    Curricular Subject Requirements (PostPrimary)

For French, for instance, the currents degree credits/ECTS requirement (from that TC link) is:

"The qualifying degree must carry at least 180 ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) credits (or equivalent) with the specific study of French comprising at least 60 ECTS credits (or equivalent) and with not less than 10 ECTS credits (or equivalent) studied at third-year level or higher (or modular equivalent)."

Advertisement