Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AUTUMN WEATHER 2015 - GENERAL CHAT THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

What's the determining factor of a low being categorised as a named storm? Can't see anything on the Met Office website.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    What's the determining factor of a low being categorised as a named storm? Can't see anything on the Met Office website.

Storm force winds: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort_scale#Modern_scale

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    A storm will then be named when it is deemed to have the potential to cause substantial impacts in the UK and/or Ireland.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/in-depth/name-our-storms

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Iancar29 wrote: »
    This is a prime example of why I hate people claiming winter is "Nov , Dec , Jan " ��

They can claim it all they like, but it isn't.

I regularly convert people now to meteorological seasons. They try and correct me and say "No, August, September and October is Autumn", and I say "where did you first hear that, was it in a twopenny nature book in primary school harking back to pagan calendars and "Deireadh Fomhair" stuff?" They agree it was and we move on with proper seasons!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    According the BBC NI, last night was potentially a November record breaker in terms of high overnight temps.

Confirmed on the BBC1 6.30pm weather. Warmest overnight temperature on record for November in Murlough, Co. Down.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The latest charts look alot more interesting with windy periods this week and cooler periods showing again for next week with potential for bigger storms after that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Confirmed on the BBC1 6.30pm weather. Warmest overnight temperature on record for November in Murlough, Co. Down.

It that in the whole UK, the island of Ireland or both?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Considering its the BBC, id imagine its either the whole UK or just NI, not ROI.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Was 15c in markree castle at 2200 last night.

This is usually the "coldest" place in Ireland at night but I think Malin Head shivered at 13c only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

The 16.1C recorded in Murlough in Co Down is the warmest UK night on record - the previous record was 15.9C

Met Eireann reported a maximum night-time temperature on Monday night of 15.4C in the Phoenix Park and also in Mallow.

• Advertisement

The UK as a whole, but hard to know if any overnight records were broken south of the border. The highest November min at Phoenix Park I could find was 17.2c on November 2nd, 1927. Whether that is a report than can be trusted though is another thing, but it happened under very similar conditions to the present.

06z this morning:

2015111006_5.gif

06z Nov 2nd 1927:
    1927110206_5.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Nice wet miserable evening here in north meath, just as i was starting to miss the rain after a dry day

Lumi wrote: »
    The 16.1C recorded in Murlough in Co Down is the warmest UK night on record - the previous record was 15.9C

Met Eireann reported a maximum night-time temperature on Monday night of 15.4C in the Phoenix Park and also in Mallow.

Got 15.7C (min) here last night (night of 9th/10th) - certainly was a local record!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Lumi wrote: »

You mean warmest November night on record?

It remains to be seen if last night's high temps will actually be that significant in the actual daily records, as the current temps are actually lower in most parts. 'Warmest night' on record does not necessarily mean warmest min on record, as temps over the north are averaging around 12.C at the moment, which will likely bring Murlough's actual daily min value down a tad.

New Moon

It remains to be seen if last night's high temps will actually be that significant in the actual daily records, as the current temps are actually lower in most parts. 'Warmest night' on record does not necessarily mean warmest min on record, as temps over the north are averaging around 12.C at the moment, which will likely bring Murlough's actual daily min value down a tad.

Still, warmest night is a valid statistic and can easily be calculated. Temp here now is 15C...and falling; so the minimum for either the 9th or the 10th will not be equal to last nights min of 15.7C.

Still beats any previous "low" in November from any midday to midday the next day.

"Abigail" within range of the HIRLAM on Meteociel. A small core of sustained winds of 95-100 km/h brushing the Mayo coast.

hirlamuk-3-48-0_dki8.png

"Abigail" within range of the HIRLAM on Meteociel. A small core of sustained winds of 95-100 km/h brushing the Mayo coast.

hirlamuk-3-48-0_dki8.png

Mayo is so lucky - they get nearly all the serious wind :)

Still, warmest night is a valid statistic and can easily be calculated. Temp here now is 15C...and falling; so the minimum for either the 9th or the 10th will not be equal to last nights min of 15.7C.

Still beats any previous "low" in November from any midday to midday the next day.

Valid yes, and easily calculated -- if you have access to the data that is.

Midday to midday, while being a 24 hour period, would still not be considered 'daily', but perhaps the 9am-9am period might be in a Meteorological sense , though could never see the reasoning behind this myself.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

It said on bbc weather wind gusts will be up to 80-90mph in north western scotland wasn't expecting it to be that bad anywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Mayo is so lucky - they get nearly all the serious wind :)

We not as lucky when it comes to all irelands.

eastmayo wrote: »
    We not as lucky when it comes to all irelands.

True...but never despair!

Next year could be the year that

(a) it snows all through January and February

(b) Mayo win a well deserved All-Ireland (even this Dub would cheer that!)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

hirlamuk-3-48-0_dki8.png

Wouldn't that be a status red for Mayo so? I know its a small core but the entire county would be in the alert.

Padster90s wrote: »
    Wouldn't that be a status red for Mayo so? I know its a small core but the entire county would be in the alert.

Technically yes it would be, but the area of most intense winds is so small and just briefly brushing the coast there that it would only take a minor shift westwards in track to reduce the windspeeds significantly even right on the exposed coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Padster90s wrote: »

Ah ffs I'm sick of living in Mayo. Sitting on top of a hill only 4 miles from the coast, even a light breeze feels stronger here.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

I could see ME sticking with a status orange. They went a bit overboard with the status red on Rachel in Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

"Mayo is so lucky - they get nearly all the serious wind "

Id swap it for Sam any day

Water Vapour image from noon today. Two odd looking circular dry slots (black) south of Ireland.
    368150.PNG

New Moon

Stats here for the 10th November:

Max: 17.3C
    Min: 14.3C
    Rain: none
    Wind: Fairly windy from the SW
    Sun: Lots, mainly sunny during daylight hours

A very pleasant day...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Morning output looks increasingly stormy for north-west Ireland.... quite severe into W Scotland

Advertisement