Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AUTUMN WEATHER 2015 - GENERAL CHAT THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Looking cold this day week

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Southerly tracking low, Tuesday on the 12Z ECM.

ECU1-72_xgg5.GIF

That's a naughty low indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

12Z ECM looks cold next weekend though probably mostly dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Newport way out in front in terms of rainfall totals on the 1500 reports, 11.0 mm's, knock airport and belmullet following

Its been non stop rain here in Newport, and now the wind has stepped up a notch.
    The Castlebar to Newport road is completely flooded in one section about 6 miles from Castlebar, water level is above the bottom of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

12Z ECM looks cold next weekend though probably mostly dry.

East coast thunderstorms comes to mind on the 168 and 192hr charts. Thunder, hail, sleet, even some snow.. especially on higher ground.

Interesting time ahead... finally some active weather!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

ohhhh thundersnow oh please let it be Thundersnow !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Here's my report on the week coming and the cold spell:

Firstly, exceptionally heavy rainfall up to Wednesday with brief drier moments Monday morning and early afternoon as well as Tuesday night / Wednesday morning. Thursday has some rain to the south but otherwise mainly dry and sunny and average temperatures. On Friday, a low will sink southwards but it will grind to a halt in the east of the UK along with the direction of the wind coming from the ARCTIC. Yes I said it, the ARCTIC!!!!! This cold spell does look like lasting some time into the end of November and might be even here at the start of December! That is 20% chance certain though at this stage - so very uncertain. We are 100% in for a cold spell, however and snowfall has a 60% chance to hit at least some parts of Ireland during this said cold spell! Enjoy the last of the mild weather for a while during the rain on Sunday :D. My expected temperatures:

Sunday 15th - 15c
    Monday 16th - 9c
    Tuesday 17th - 11c
    Wednesday 18th - 11c
    Thursday 19th - 9c
    Friday 20th - 8c
    Saturday 21st - 6c!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

Surprised there isn't a wind warning, it's fairly windy and my phone (accuweather) is saying very windy tonight. It didn't say anything like that Thursday for Abigail.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Padster90s wrote: »
    Surprised there isn't a wind warning, it's fairly windy and my phone (accuweather) is saying very windy tonight. It didn't say anything like that Thursday for Abigail.

Shannon recorded winds with mean speeds of 33kts (61km/h) just short of an orange warning. I'm extremely surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

When do you think the next named storm will be?

• Advertisement

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Shannon recorded winds with mean speeds of 33kts (61km/h) just short of an orange warning. I'm extremely surprised.

There are 4 rainfall warnings out on the website. Maybe a 5th for wind is to much! The ground is waterlogged and nearly half the trees around me are still in some form of leaf. It wouldn't take much wind to bring them down.
    Just a wild guess but next named storm I'd say say the week between Christmas and new year's.

There are 4 rainfall warnings out on the website. Maybe a 5th for wind is to much! The ground is waterlogged and nearly half the trees around me are still in some form of leaf. It wouldn't take much wind to bring them down.
    Just a wild guess but next named storm I'd say say the week between Christmas and new year's.

You can't exactly say, oh there's enough warnings out already we don't need another for a different weather element! Also only 3 of those warnings seem to be valid, the other one just copies another one with the exception of having no location and the lack of 1 word which in turn makes it grammatically incorrect.

You can't exactly say, oh there's enough warnings out already we don't need another for a different weather element! Also only 3 of those warnings seem to be valid, the other one just copies another one with the exception of having no location and the lack of 1 word which in turn makes it grammatically incorrect.

I agree, one of them looks like they forgot to remove it, just says Rainfall warning. Theres only two warnings really. The orange one and the yellow. The two yellow rainfall warnings could be made into one. I didn't mean there's too many and shouldn't be a fifth. I just don't know why they haven't a wind warning! The sustained wind and the gusts out this evening seem worse or more prolonged than Thursday and they had a warning. Maybe one will appear for the nine news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Wind gusts wednesday

Wind gusts wednesday

84mph in mayo!!!? 135km/h! Thats red level warning material!

Rtavn1745.gif

Looking at this the temps dont look that low Saturday 21st.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Water from the field has come in around the house, 1st time ever, drainage pipes around the place cant take the volume of water coming in, unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A stormy wet night in Castlebar, the heavy persistent rain continues....

Wind in west Clare is stronger than (or rivaling) the recent storm Abigail

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

agree with you there, likewise up along the coast in Mayo! worst night in a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Terrible night in Galway serious flooding on some roads non stop rain since around 6 am this morning, gone very windy I did not expect the wind to be so strong it's a strong as Abigil

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Unbelievable day of wind and rain in Galway city today. Been up since 4am and it hasn't let up for one minute.

Rtavn1745.gif

Looking at this the temps dont look that low Saturday 21st.

GFS is showing temperatures of around 0 - 4 there.

Met.ie have cleaned up the warnings but still nothing for wind. It seems to have stepped up a notch too in the past hour

Misread it so.

Look at this chart:Rt850m7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Met.ie have cleaned up the warnings but still nothing for wind. It seems to have stepped up a notch too in the past hour

Here it is.
    STATUS YELLOW

Gale Warning
    Southwest winds will continue to reach gale force overnight on Irish coastal waters from Howth Head to Roches Point to Malin Head and on the north Irish Sea.

Issued:Saturday 14 November 2015 17:00

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Here it is.

Thats a coastal wind warning for ships etc. Not a land warning.

A windy, maybe stormy, week ahead from possibly two lows.

arpegeuk-52-114-0_whv4.png

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Lights flickering regularly in athlone. Tis wild out there

• Advertisement

Thought the wind was finally about to die down, but no! Just got a gust that lasted 10 seconds here and I sware I thought the roof was about to come away from the house!

Advertisement