Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Banks won't give me a mortgage

• 26-08-2015 1:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

Do I have any other options of acquiring my own home other then saving up living on bread and cheese for the next 10 years? I don't earn enough according to the bank and they won't take the risk even on a small mortgage. I want to buy a 3 bed semi in the midlands for about 100k. My work is mostly online so location is not an issue. I have deposit money saved and an 80k mortgage is what I need.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Do I have any other options of acquiring my own home other then saving up living on bread and cheese for the next 10 years? I don't earn enough according to the bank and they won't take the risk even on a small mortgage. I want to buy a 3 bed semi in the midlands for about 100k. My work is mostly online so location is not an issue. I have deposit money saved and an 80k mortgage is what I need.

What do you earn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

What do you earn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I can't understand that, your repayments may only be about 350-400 a month. Have you checked your credit rating?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Elliottsmum79

Agreed, most banks now use the conservative 3xtimes income band and you are safely within this. Few questions:
    1) Is your work permanent, have you been in full employment for the past number of years with no breaks? Is your work in a risky sector?

2)Any bad debts, unpaid bils, previous debt restructuring? I'd ask for the reason you dont meet their criteria also.
    Maybe try a broker who can help??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,100 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How many people (as in partner and kids) is that 33k supporting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭phormium

Yes, any dependants and any other debts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Is the online work permanent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

My work is permanent but I have been in it for just 3 years. My income before my current job was based on self assessment and I wouldn't have had a hope since it was irregular. I gave up my self employment to take a company job so I could actually have a chance of getting a mortgage one day. My income supports me only and I have no debt at all. I don't see myself as a risk and I can afford a mortgage of 100k but they won't grant it as they see me as a risk. I'll be trying again start of 2016 as I'm expecting a pay rise in February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭phormium

It must be income related, is all the 33k basic salary or is there some element of variable income such as bonus, overtime, various allowances?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

StereoSound, you should have no problem qualifying for a mortgage of 80k on your salary of 33k once it is a basic salary and does not include commission, bonus or overtime. You mentioned you are working online if so is your earnings commission based?
    You mentioned you are single with no dependents or debt, you should apply to www.icb.ie to check your credit rating.

The stressed repayment on a mortgage of 88k would be €469.66 - have you been saving this amount regularly over the past 12 months or paying rent which must be reflected in your bank statements. If you are taking cash out of the ATM and lodging in the credit union, the bank will not accept this as you have to have a paper trail so you need to transfer the savings from your bank account.

Do you have a credit card and if so do you clear it on a monthly basis?

How many lenders have you tried as you do qualify on your salary so perhaps you just need to shop around.

• Advertisement
Advertisement