Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eFibre available in my area but not rolled out yet

Options
  • 26-08-2015 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Eircom website says my area is fibre enabled but when I enter my number into the line checker it says e-fibre is not available to me yet. Looking to see if there is a rough timeline between getting the exchange upgraded to making fibre available to households?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Eircom website says my area is fibre enabled but when I enter my number into the line checker it says e-fibre is not available to me yet. Looking to see if there is a rough timeline between getting the exchange upgraded to making fibre available to households?
    Hi billythemuffi

If you would like to PM me your land line number I will be happy to look in to this for you.

Unfrotuantely the online map is only intended to show when eFibre is launched in the coloured area and there's a note advising it may not be available to all lines. This is ultimately down to the activation of different cabinets at different times.

Thanks
    Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Unfrotuantely the online map is only intended to show when eFibre is launched in the coloured area and there's a note advising it may not be available to all lines. This is ultimately down to the activation of different cabinets at different times.
    Does this mean that even if an area is in green, it's possible that they will not be ever able to get efibre? 

eezipc wrote: »
    Does this mean that even if an area is in green, it's possible that they will not be ever able to get efibre? 
    Yes eezipc

Although there is notification located directly above the map advising:

Please note: this map is for illustrative purposes only and not all homes within the eFibre area can avail of the service. To determine if eFibre is available at your home, please enter your home phone number or address into our interactive tool.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 5 billythemuffi

PM sent

PM sent
    Thanks for your PM billythemuffin

Unfortunately your line and others in your area are located beyond the 2Km reach of the eFibre cabinet in Craughwell.

I 'm genuinely sorry to have to confirm that there are no plans for eFibre to extend to your area either.

I wish I could offer you better news but ultimately the only advice I can offer to look in to the governments "national broadband plan" which has promised to offer rural areas (currently not included in plans) speeds of up to 30Mb where works are set to being in 2016 - more details can be found here: http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/communications/en-ie/Broadband/Pages/Connecting-Communities-information-pamphlet.aspx

I'm sorry the news is not better

Thank you

Al

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 billythemuffi

Hi Al,

I appreciate the response.
    Just checked on Google Maps how far I am from the exchange and it's 2.3 KM
    I realise I will lose bandwidth the further I am from the exchange but .3 KM doesn't seem like a big hit to take.
    Currently the best I get with my ADSL is 3MB, usually between 1.5 - 2MB.
    With efibre I presume I will go to at least 10MB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

I had registered with eircom to get notified of when eFibre was available on my landline no. and trusted they'd get back to me. However, I went on to the eircom site today (Upgrade to eFibre) and found that my landline no. IS ' in an eFibre enabled area' and they're saying it could be 'up to 7mb' (from the current 2.4mb ) so it's not a great leap -

'We have checked 0404-40~~~
    You are in an eFibre enabled area

eFibre means everyone in your household can be online at the same time with a superfast connection to their laptops, desktops, smartphones, tablets or gaming consoles. Not your address? Start again
    Discover the maximum speed you will experience in your home

Line Speed - You can get a maximum of 7Mb download speed

The speed available to you is dependent on the distance from your home to exchange. The best speeds will always be achieved by connecting your device to the modem via the ethernet cable. Wi-Fi speeds will vary based on distance from the modem, the amount of users connected and other electrical devices that may be using the same wireless channel e.g. cordless phones or baby monitors. Keeping up to date with software, firmware and antivirus updates will also ensure your device will be able to achieve optimum speeds.'

Q's - i) My 'eircom package charges ' on my bill are  €93 for the 2 months
    'Package' includes talktime chatter €62 and 'Broadband homeplus' €50 , Talktime/Broadband bundle discount -€18. Would my efibre bill be cheaper, I rarely use the landline (€1.58 for 2 months !) ?

ii) Does ' in an eFibre enabled area' mean that my landline IS/NOT able to get efibre

Hi Al,

I appreciate the response.
    Just checked on Google Maps how far I am from the exchange and it's 2.3 KM
    I realise I will lose bandwidth the further I am from the exchange but .3 KM doesn't seem like a big hit to take.
    Currently the best I get with my ADSL is 3MB, usually between 1.5 - 2MB.
    With efibre I presume I will go to at least 10MB.
    Hi billythemuffi

I can fully understand your views and perusal of this however I have checked this with the networks team who have advised that it will definitely be not possible to offer efibre to you or your specific area- even with acceptance of degraded service. The networks team have advised that while it's impossible to extend efibre to you as it would not even reach 1Mb. This is because lines are not served or run "as the crow flies" and multiple cable path diversions and directions extend the distance further that you could measure from a map. I'm so sorry I can't give you better news billy.

Thanks
    Al

Any luck ?
    Capri wrote: »
    I had registered with eircom to get notified of when eFibre was available on my landline no. and trusted they'd get back to me. However, I went on to the eircom site today (Upgrade to eFibre) and found that my landline no. IS ' in an eFibre enabled area' and they're saying it could be 'up to 7mb' (from the current 2.4mb ) so it's not a great leap -

eFibre means everyone in your household can be online at the same time with a superfast connection to their laptops, desktops, smartphones, tablets or gaming consoles. Not your address? Start again

The speed available to you is dependent on the distance from your home to exchange. The best speeds will always be achieved by connecting your device to the modem via the ethernet cable. Wi-Fi speeds will vary based on distance from the modem, the amount of users connected and other electrical devices that may be using the same wireless channel e.g. cordless phones or baby monitors. Keeping up to date with software, firmware and antivirus updates will also ensure your device will be able to achieve optimum speeds.'

'Package' includes talktime chatter €62 and 'Broadband homeplus' €50 , Talktime/Broadband bundle discount -€18. Would my efibre bill be cheaper, I rarely use the landline (€1.58 for 2 months !) ?

ii) Does ' in an eFibre enabled area' mean that my landline IS/NOT able to get efibre

Any luck ?

Sorry I missed your post Capri - It got lost within Billys thread.

Could you Pm me your land line number and I'll look in to this further for you?

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭fitzie79

For months I've been eagerly anticipating the arrival of eFibre to my area. However, when finally my area is enabled for eFibre I then find out that my my line is not in an eFibre area. I think the map is seriously misleading. Whilst there is a disclaimer at the top being honest no-one reads this. If the limitation is a 2km radius around the exchange why doesn't the map show this. Surely it would be possible to have the coloured areas reflect the actual eFibre coverage (e.g. 2km around the exchnage) and not the current >10km radius that gives the false impression that eFibre was being rolled out to the entire country?

For areas like mine where I am in an area where eFibre has been brought to the local exchange but are outside this 2kM radius is there the possibility that eFibre will ever be available?

I've pm'd my land line number for reference

Hi fitzie79

Apologies for any frustration or inconvenience the map has created for you. I understand you feel not many people will not read the note located above the map advising not all lines in the area will be able to get eFibre and It's best to check the line checker but the message is clearly there to notify people of this to prevent any misunderstandings.

There is no limitation of a 2km radius around the exchange but there is a 2Km maximum range in regards to VDSL cabinets. eFibre availability is based on the rollout of fibre cabinets and in some cases the exchange itself (where a cabinet is located at the same location of the exchange)  - this is rather unlike regular broadband where it’s available upon exchange upgrade to all lines within a 6 to 8Km radius.

The fibre cabinets themselves are connected to the exchange by fibre cable and a copper cable from the cabinet feeds efibre to homes - this is what is called FTTC (fibre to the cabinet).

The maximum distance a line can be from a cabinet or efibre enabled exchange is up to 2Km - In consideration of your line being at a distance of 3+ miles from the exchange I am genuinely sorry to confirm that your line cannot avail of efibre as it lays outside of the 2Km reach.

A more specific map showing the cabinets can be found here: http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/ (click on the map called "NGA fibre broadband network")

I'm genuinely sorry to say that eircom cannot offer an indication of when you can avail of eFibre. [font=Calibri","sans-serif]I wish I could offer you better news but ultimately the only advice I can offer to look in to the governments "national broadband plan" which has promised to offer rural areas (currently not included in plans) speeds of up to 30Mb where works are set to being in 2016

Thank you
    [/font]

[font=Calibri","sans-serif]Al
    [/font]

Any luck ?

Sorry I missed your post Capri - It got lost within Billys thread.

Could you Pm me your land line number and I'll look in to this further for you?

Thanks
    Al

'10hrs response time ' ?? 14 DAYS  ........ ! PM was sent so...Am I unlucky with Eircom or has my query been lost again ??

2nd Q - My speed is getting worse, high of 2.32mbps going down more regularly now to 1.35mbps. Could anybody be 'using' or 'robbing' my signal ?

UPDATE - Actually phoned Eircom this morning, they tested my line and said I could get the service so hooked up for my 14 day trial . Let's see if their service comes up any better than this forum :mad:
    (Strangely, about a year ago KNS were putting up lines along the road but nobody from Eircom actually emailed me to say that I could get the service despite the fact I'd requested online notification :mad::mad: )

Hi Capri,

I'm sorry for all these delays - I had been awaiting clarification from our networks team who have advised me you're line is qualifying for up to 24Mb with eFibre. Again I do apologise for these delays but I have had clarification that everything is good to go if you would like to place an order.

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement