Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US Journalists shot dead live on air [MOD WARNING in opening post]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Apropos,

http://www.theonion.com/article/nation-try-channeling-outrage-over-gun-control-iss-51192?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=LinkPreview:1:Default
    WASHINGTON—Reasoning that it would likely be a much better use of their time and effort, exasperated citizens across the nation announced plans Thursday to try channeling their current outrage over the country’s lack of effective gun control into an issue that can actually be addressed. “We’ve felt this collective indignation so many times before and it’s come to nothing, so maybe if we take all this anger and focus it on something achievable, like repairing our roads or modernizing the electrical grid, we could make some actual progress,” said Atlanta resident Kathryn Greenfield, one of millions of Americans who agreed that there were probably dozens of pressing national issues that could be solved using energy that would simply be wasted trying to limit access to firearms. “Improving care for our veterans or guaranteeing universal preschool education both seem like attainable goals if we wanted to direct our shared aggravation that way, or even something small like cleaning up our national parks. It’d be great if we could just accomplish something here.” At press time, the nation’s outrage had already dissipated too greatly to be capable of influencing public policy in any meaningful way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

Policing? It is an observation.

Fair enough, that's your opinion. I think showing her personal things is highly disrespectful. She was clearly a private person as they had kept their relationship under wraps.

Turning up to an interview with a scrapbook is downright intrusive.

Disrespectful to who? You did not know her. That is the only thing that is "clear" here.

You have the cheek to question her loved ones? I don't know what she would have wanted. But I do know that he is in a much better position to ascertain what her wishes would be than you are. If being respectful is as important to you as you claim you might want to begin by being less judgy towards the loved ones of dead strangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

Lirange wrote: »
    Disrespectful to who? You did not know her. That is the only thing that is "clear" here.

You have the cheek to question her loved ones? I don't know what she would have wanted. But I do know that he is in a much better position to ascertain what her wishes would be than you are. If being respectful is as important to you as you claim you might want to begin by being less judgy towards the loved ones of dead strangers.

All valid points and normally I would totally agree with you,, but this time, no. He seems very self-serving in all tthis. Having read comments on sites online, many others are suggesting he stop making this whole tragic incident about himself.

Robsweezie wrote: »
    Exactly, there is no "how to grieve" handbook. it does different things to different people and if he headed off to twitter for support, then that's his way, however strange it may seem.

That's the point, 'however strange'. It sure is strange. The strangest reaction to a death I've seen in a long time, which is why it makes someone question him and his motives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

All valid points and normally I would totally agree with you,, but this time, no. He seems very self-serving in all tthis. Having read comments on sites online, many others are suggesting he stop making this whole tragic incident about himself.

You found comments on the Internet criticising a current public figure?
    Such a rare occurrence, there has to be something to it!

That's the point, 'however strange'. It sure is strange. The strangest reaction to a death I've seen in a long time, which is why it makes someone question him and his motives.

If this is a strange reaction to having ones fiancee murdered on live television what would be the usual one?

Kev W wrote: »
    If this is a strange reaction to having ones fiancee murdered on live television what would be the usual one?

You don't know that yourself, Kev? You really don't know how grief tends to play out when someone loses a loved one?

OK. I've said my piece and stand by it. No point going around in circles. Something is very wrong with the way this guy is courting the press over his loss. Am sure time will reveal more about this.

You don't know that yourself, Kev? You really don't know how grief tends to play out when someone loses a loved one?

I know how I felt when I did. I went to bits when a friend died a few years ago. Others held it together very well. Should I have been suspicious that they reacted differently or should they have been suspicious of me?
    OK. I've said my piece and stand by it. No point going around in circles. Something is very wrong with the way this guy is courting the press over his loss.

He's not courting the press, he's part of the press.
    Am sure time will reveal more about this.

I would hate to be so cynical.

I know how I felt when I did. I went to bits when a friend died a few years ago. Others held it together very well. Should I have been suspicious that they reacted differently or should they have been suspicious of me?

He's not courting the press, he's part of the press.

I would hate to be so cynical.

So cynical? Oh, believe me, it is not a normal stance I take in my day to day life, but this time, most definitely yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Matt Holck

Robsweezie wrote: »
    Exactly, there is no "how to grieve" handbook. it does different things to different people and if he headed off to twitter for support, then that's his way, however strange it may seem.

I had a couple friends die a couple years go
    since then I've done some public condolences for others
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpaRouocBes

So cynical? Oh, believe me, it is not a normal stance I take in my day to day life, but this time, most definitely yes.

So you're absolutely certain this grieving public figure is expressing his grief over his murdered fiancée for some kind of personal gain to be named later?
    And your evidence is that you probably wouldn't do that yourself.
    That's cynical whether you like it or not.

So you're absolutely certain this grieving public figure is expressing his grief over his murdered fiancée for some kind of personal gain to be named later?

Have you never questioned anything in life, ever? Of course you have. I am cynical in this case, definitely.

Were you insinuating I am a cynical person, period, based on my thoughts on this one story?

Is that the point you were trying to make?

Have you never questioned anything in life, ever? Of course you have. I am cynical in this case, definitely.

Were you insinuating I am a cynical person, period, based on my thoughts on this one story?

Is that the point you were trying to make?

I never said you were a cynical person, I said you were being cynical. Which you don't even seem to disagree with.

personal homage is personal whether public or not
    a role playing game master understands

Tom Petty - Into the great wide open (with Johnny Depp)

Matt Holck wrote: »
    personal homage is personal whether public or not
    a role playing game master understands

Tom Petty - Into the great wide open (with Johnny Depp)

Without wanting to get too far off topic, I'm not sure what the relevance of that song is.

• Advertisement

I never said you were a cynical person, I said you were being cynical. Which you don't even seem to disagree with.

I think if you look above you will see that I stated quite clearly that I am cynical of this guy, 100%.

You say you would 'hate to be so cynical' which strikes me as odd. I don't think it is possible to go through life not being cynical of people sometimes.

It is human nature - people are motivated to act in ways that are beneficial to them.

I don't believe this guy is not grieving the loss of his partner. I am questioning that he was so quick to put it on twitter, announce to the world 'It wasn't known, but I was her partner' (and stating the time period). He knows how the media works. He knows that tweet signalled 'Call me'. Which duly happened and he has been on every national news show in America since.

I am not policing his grief, as has been suggested, I am questioning his actions and motives. Something that happens on these boards regarding different people and circumstances every single day.

>Without wanting to get too far off topic, I'm not sure what the relevance of that song is

care about anyone famous that died ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

It never ceases to amaze me how people want to criticise how others react to trauma. "That's not how I would react if my loved one were shot live on TV so hes WRONG. I know how I would react because I know EVERYTHING AND IM ALWAYS RIGHT "

death is usually a shock

someone has to dare to say something
    just so people can start to react

>Without wanting to get too far off topic, I'm not sure what the relevance of that song is

care about anyone famous that died ?

Some, yes. I'm sorry but I still don't understand what that song has to do with anything. I don't say that to be critical, it's just not clicking.

• Advertisement

It never ceases to amaze me how people want to criticise how others react to trauma. "That's not how I would react if my loved one were shot live on TV so hes WRONG. I know how I would react because I know EVERYTHING AND IM ALWAYS RIGHT "

Who said they know everything?

Questioning the guy's motives does not mean I or anyone else thinks they are always right. Can you not get that?

I think if you look above you will see that I stated quite clearly that I am cynical of this guy, 100%.

You say you would 'hate to be so cynical' which strikes me as odd. I don't think it is possible to go through life not being cynical of people sometimes.

It is human nature - people are motivated to act in ways that are beneficial to them.

I don't believe this guy is not grieving the loss of his partner. I am questioning that he was so quick to put it on twitter, announce to the world 'It wasn't known, but I was her partner' (and stating the time period). He knows how the media works. He knows that tweet signalled 'Call me'. Which duly happened and he has been on every national news show in America since.

I am not policing his grief, as has been suggested, I am questioning his actions and motives. Something that happens on these boards regarding different people and circumstances every single day.

I think if you look above you will see that I found your comments that he is "courting the press" and "time will reveal more about this" to be more cynical than I would like to be. You stated these things as facts. That's not questioning, that's accusing.

He also didn't need the media to call him, he's an anchor himself. He was already at the studio when the shooting occurred, in fact.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

His behaviour is a little odd, maybe it's a cultural thing. For me, grieving is done in private, not in the limelight.

His behaviour is a little odd, maybe it's a cultural thing. For me, grieving is done in private, not in the limelight.

You're not a news anchor.

Some, yes. I'm sorry but I still don't understand what that song has to do with anything. I don't say that to be critical, it's just not clicking.
    gLee that I had followed since the beginning had there lead male actor Cory Monteith die
    I had been part of that forum for many years
    and wanted to offer some muse for condolence

personal public death issues again

Pink Floyd - The Show Must Go On (Live)
    I know neither of the characters involve in this thread
    only my own experiences

You're not a news anchor.

And that precludes me from forming an opinion on this?

And that precludes me from forming an opinion on this?

Calm down, nobody said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

He seems? What if you're wrong? Have you considered that possibility? You are leaping to conclusions based on assumptions. You might find comfort that others share your hostile disposition towards him. But it just makes them judgmental reactionaries as well. You're speaking from a position of ignorance about these people. You are tap dancing on flimsy cardboard.

Her father has said that he wants to share with the world what a wonderful person she was and what a great life she had as cut short as it was...as it's better to focus on the victims than the perp. Her father and boyfriend have done interviews side by side, including when he's had his scrapbook. A very plausible reason their relationship wasn't known was because it's typical news room policy to be discreet. They were a small town regional news outfit so it's not like people would be keeping tabs on them either. It's a shame that out of all the possible things coming from this story that some people choose to fixate and seethe over this.

my concern exactly

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well, more and more western culture is about "letting it all hang out", being seen and heard more publicly and social media really ramps this up. Some tweet/upload pics of what they're eating for lunch, so hardly surprising overwhelming grief comes out the same way. If the chap is a heavy user of social media anyway, then it makes sense that he pours out his grief that way. Add in that his personality chose a public "performance" in need of an audience type job like news anchor. In the past, or in other cultures grief could be much more private, behind closed doors, but behind those doors among friends and family similar reactions would be going on. These days as well as those who follow the coffin you have potentially millions who will follow the tweets.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

don't believe in sacrifice

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

don't believe in sacrifice
    What? Your posts make little sense, or is it just me?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

My statement not particularly related to your statement

death is tragedy
    and not some sort of sacrifice
    coffin=millions of view is not to be compared to some item of sacrifice
    people don't have to die for all to live well

M'kay….. *backs away slowly*

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

The owner of the tv station may be "suggesting" to the bf that he do some interviews to tell the world what a great girl she was.

I think if you look above you will see that I found your comments that he is "courting the press" and "time will reveal more about this" to be more cynical than I would like to be. You stated these things as facts. That's not questioning, that's accusing.

He also didn't need the media to call him, he's an anchor himself. He was already at the studio when the shooting occurred, in fact.

So you have an issue with someone being more cynical than you in one particular instance? I don't get your point. Am sure if we looked over the news in the past week there would be views where we differ, some where you could be perceived to be more cynical than me. I'm cynical of this guy's intentions. Try as you might it does not make me a bad person or someone that is more cynical than most. It merely means that in this instance, his behaviour struck me as odd.

Further, it is a fact he was all over the media. Within hours of her death (if not an hour) he had tweeted about their previous private relationship and uploaded pics. He has also done a stack of news interviews and talked in explicit detail about a relationship that was barely 9 months old.

And it is a fact that time will reveal more. That is what happens with news stories, things come out down the line.

When we see behaviour that is unusual, it is questioned. I don't know this guy clearly, but I do see his rush to get himself on every news bulletin going as quick as possible strange. And whether you like it or, or agree or not, is really of no consequence to me or indeed anyone that sees this differently than you.

Lirange wrote: »
    He seems? What if you're wrong? Have you considered that possibility? You are leaping to conclusions based on assumptions.

Aren't many decisions/conclusions we reach based on assumptions because we don't know people directly?

So as I don't know him, I can't say what I perceive as insensitive and unusual behaviour?

Aren't many decisions/conclusions we reach based on assumptions because we don't know people directly?

So as I don't know him, I can't say what I perceive as insensitive and unusual behaviour?

You can say it and others can comment on it. Nobody's told you you can't say what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Everyone reacts to grief in their own way. There is no right or wrong reaction.

• Advertisement

You can say it and others can comment on it. Nobody's told you you can't say what you want.

It was a rhetorical question, but thanks all the same for letting me know.

A self-absorbed slob who indulged in gay porn, is what the evidence in his apartment shows.

http://nypost.com/2015/08/28/reporters-everyday-comments-deemed-racist-by-on-air-killer/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPTwitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow

He also took offence very easy. Even a watermelon-flavoured slushee was racist in his eyes. Sounds like a right weirdo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

A self-absorbed slob who indulged in gay porn, is what the evidence in his apartment shows.

http://nypost.com/2015/08/28/reporters-everyday-comments-deemed-racist-by-on-air-killer/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPTwitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow

He also took offence very easy. Even a watermelon-flavoured slushee was racist in his eyes. Sounds like a right weirdo.

You would pick up on the gay porn element Frosty like that somehow made it more likely he was going to shoot people... Sigh4life

The picture being built up is of a person with mental illness whose state of mind was deteriorating rapidly for a substantial period leading up to this. It doesn't excuse what he did. It just means that its possible something could have been done so things didn't end up like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

who indulged in gay porn

how is this even remotely worth mentioning. its like saying murderer X indulged in straight porn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

My statement not particularly related to your statement

death is tragedy
    and not some sort of sacrifice
    coffin=millions of view is not to be compared to some item of sacrifice
    people don't have to die for all to live well
    What the **** are your "statements" related too?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Skullface McGubbin

Birneybau wrote: »
    They have photoshopped it (badly) to make it look like the gun is going off. Jesus Christ.

About 3rd paper down:

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/08/26/de-thursday-papers-125/#comments

Jaysus, the cover on the Sun. I Laughed when I saw it. It's so ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Jaysus, the cover on the Sun. I Laughed when I saw it. It's so ridiculous.
    the NY Post was even tackier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭RayCon

Even a watermelon-flavoured slushee was racist in his eyes.

I know there's no logic but I'm still intrigued as to his reasoning ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I think watermelon is associated with black people in america sometimes in a derogatory way ala kfc?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

You would pick up on the gay porn element Frosty like that somehow made it more likely he was going to shoot people... Sigh4life

The picture being built up is of a person with mental illness whose state of mind was deteriorating rapidly for a substantial period leading up to this. It doesn't excuse what he did. It just means that its possible something could have been done so things didn't end up like this.

there was a bit in his rambling manifesto or whatever where he said he knew he was unwell but he couldn't be bothered with antidepressants or medication. maybe if he did...

You know what's funny? If you take a look at the apartment, it's actually pretty normal. Gay porn, sex toys, photo of themselves. Sounds like a pretty standard place of anyone who likes to indulge in adult activities. Same goes for photo of themselves - I know loads of people that have the same.

It's just that he did an unbelievably bad thing that all these pretty normal and standard stuff are being given a creepy twinge. Also, if I were gay or watched gay porn, I'd be severely pissed off at it being called creepy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement