Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US Journalists shot dead live on air [MOD WARNING in opening post]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

what the actual fuck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Jesus christ. This is a <mod snip>image removed</mod snip> of one of the videos the killer posted on twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

very disturbing footage of the shotting from the killer

<mod snip>video removed</mod snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 647 ✭✭✭RichardCeann

That is completely surreal. He was standing there for twenty seconds with the gun pointed at them and they didn't even notice. Horrific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Why on earth do people think it's appropriate to post this footage on Boards?

Awful, ghoulish stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

He claimed on twitter that the journalist had made racist comments and also that Adam (the cameraman) had made a complaint to HR about him.

This is so shocking and disturbing :(

http://i.imgur.com/LG94ANe.png

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Apparently the cameraman s fiancee was in the control room of the tv station and saw it live :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

That video should not be up on here. Or anywhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    Why on earth do people think it's appropriate to post this footage on Boards?

Awful, ghoulish stuff.

Aye, and it's just giving the cnut the attention he's looking for into the bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

How the **** did none of them notice him sneaking up with the gun?! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Jeez that needs a warning before viewing :-(

Mena wrote: »
    Jeez that needs a warning before viewing :-(

Is "very disturbing" not enough of a warning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Picture would have sufficed rather than the whole video from that nut case.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CNWEChSU8AAhMaw.jpg

cson wrote: »
    How the **** did none of them notice him sneaking up with the gun?! :eek:

I'm sure they're trained to block out distractions when they're doing live broadcasts.

Seeing the gunman point the gun at them like that is just so chilling :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭fluke

I really don't think any of you should be posting those videos or images here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

That is a mothers son and daughter... just MURDERED live on air. Please engage your brains before reposting the ****ing videos!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Unreal. RIP.

This won't be so popular an opinion I suspect, but IMH it's not the guns. These murders are a symptom of where America is today. This kinda thing was extremely rare in the US before the 70's/80's. Yes gun murder was happening but nearly always down to direct criminal activity. Nutters kicking off with rifles and pistols in schools and the likes of this tragedy was pretty much non existent. And remember it was easier to buy a gun legally back in the day. Hell you could buy a fully automatic Thompson machine gun by post up until the 40's and a Tommy gun makes a semi auto "assault rifle" look like a peashooter. Gangsters were riddling each other, but "civilians" weren't. Canada for example has lots and lots of guns, but when was the last time someone "went postal" there?

At this point as far as the guns themselves the horse has long bolted from the stable. New laws will do pretty much nothing, save for create even more anti "big government" nutters. The culture needs an enema, or a long session with a shrink.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭_Puma_

That really shouldn't be up here.

The killer has shot himself apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I'm sure they're trained to block out distractions when they're doing live broadcasts.

Seeing the gunman point the gun at them like that is just so chilling :(

agreed, first the live news cast, now this footage, just seems totally surreal.
    some horrible people out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

I really don't understand how they didn't see him...I mean the noise of his footsteps and the fact he is literally inches away. Also whatever about the reporter who might be trained to block it out, the woman being interviewed should surely notice it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The killer has shot himself apparently.
    Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Wibbs wrote: »
    Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Exactly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Andre 3000 wrote: »
    I really don't understand how they didn't see him...I mean the noise of his footsteps and the fact he is literally inches away. Also whatever about the reporter who might be trained to block it out, the woman being interviewed should surely notice it.

The reporter did notice him in the video he posted before the shooting one as he was approaching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The videos don't contain gore or blood, but they are psychologically disturbing and give a glimpse into the mind of a psychopath. If people don't want to see the videos they don't have to look but like all major news events these days, there will be photographic or video documentation of it in some form.

Andre 3000 wrote: »
    The poor woman probably did notice, but the surreal nature of it got blocked by her conscious mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Severard

The issue of guns in the United States is extremely complex. The U.S. is simply not the same as other countries and comparing deaths from gun homicides in other Western countries to the U.S. is wrong. The rate of firearm-related homicides in the past 20 years has plummeted as has assaults, robberies, and sex crimes that involve guns [1]

It also doesn't help the debate when idiots like Wayne LaPierre of the NRA spout nonsense on T.V. to only fan the flames. Simply put gun crime is and continues to be reduced in the U.S. but it will never be completely eradicated.

Also here is a video of the incident. I should warn everyone though that this extremely graphic and really shows just how deranged the shooter is [2]

[1] http://edition.cnn.com/2013/05/08/us/study-gun-homicide/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

How did they not notice him standing there so long with the gun?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Severard wrote: »
    The U.S. is simply not the same as other countries and comparing deaths from gun homicides in other Western countries to the U.S. is wrong.
    What the hell does that mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

This incident can be added to the list;

Mass shootings 2015

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

What is shocking to me is how calm he appeared. No heavy breathing, no shaky hand, the fact he had the camera up. What a cold and grotesque being.

Why are there so many bloody people reposting the same videos and images? Have we become such over stimulated ghouls? It's not only America with a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Watched the longer clip that was posted on YouTube that showed the whole lot

Disturbing stuff to watch

ABCNews has received a 23-page fax from a man claiming to be Bryce Williams(Vester Flanagan's pseudonym). They have turned it over to police.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Closing temporarily to clean the thread.

Thread re-opened. I've removed the videos from this thread as they are rather disturbing and show the murder of 2 people.

I've left a couple of the images (which are also disturbing) but do not show any harm, they will give you an idea of what has happened. All are in links, so don't click if you dont want to see.

Please dont post the videos from the murderers perspective from any source. I can see that they are being actively pulled from youtube at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 647 ✭✭✭RichardCeann

cdeb wrote: »

American exceptionalism. 'America is too big/diverse/different to compare to other countries'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Probably the best comment I've read about this story, from a post on imgur:

"Whatever you hear or read today, try not to learn anything about the gunman. If they start talking about him, turn it off. Don't make him the Star of this story. RIP Reporter Alison Parker (24) and Cameraman Adam Ward (27)."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Wibbs wrote: »
    Why are there so many bloody people reposting the same videos and images? Have we become such over stimulated ghouls? It's not only America with a problem.

i dont see how you think people posting this stuff have a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

I'm gutted that he shot himself (if true). It's the easy way out, he'll never face justice, and basically he got his own way.

American exceptionalism. 'America is too big/diverse/different to compare to other countries'.
    Well yes - but I'm looking for the poster to get deeper into it than that. To actually elaborate rather than rephrase.

I've never understood that mindset - and I've only ever heard it from Americans (and Israelis actually - things work differently here...you don't understand what it's like for us)

Seems to me that it's just a mindset of fundamentally denying reality. And until the US realises that it's actually the exact same as any other country (i.e. people live in it), then nothing will ever change.

Really sad story obviously. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Severard

cdeb wrote: »

Each state within the U.S. is different. The United States of America is one country, fifty states. Each of them are separate sovereigns with their own constitutions. It is extremely simplistic when people compare other developed countries to the U.S. in this regard. For each of these states have the right to make policy on guns as they see fit.

For example the gun murder rate in Vermont is 0.3 per 100,000 people with a gun ownership rate of a 42% while Maryland has a gun murder rate of 5.1 per 100,000 people yet only has a gun ownership rate of 21.3% Thereby proving that less guns does not equate less murders as a result of the amount of guns in a society.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_law_(United_States)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States_by_state

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Maryland

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Vermont

I hope this clears this up for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

This is truly horrific, the poor families of these people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

If you do see it on YouTube don't look at the comments, they'll depress you even more than the horrifying video will.

Severard wrote: »
    Each state within the U.S. is different. The United States of America is one country, fifty states. Each of them are separate sovereigns with their own constitutions. It is extremely simplistic when people compare other developed countries to the U.S. in this regard. For each of these states have the right to make policy on guns as they see fit.

I hope this clears this up for you.

Doesn't really clear anything up unfortunately.

It is absolutely valid to compare gun deaths in the US to elsewhere and wonder when someone is going to do something about it.

For example, you are 3½ times more likely to be murdered by a gun in the US than in Montenegro, the highest European country on this (partial) list. Seven times more likely than in Canada, which is a similar set-up to the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

If you do see it on YouTube don't look at the comments, they'll depress you even more than the horrifying video will.

I wish I had not seen that youtube video. :mad: He waited so long before shooting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I have permanently site banned 3 people for posting videos of this event.

If you think posting video of people being murdered is ok then there is something deeply wrong with you and we don't want you.

If anyone else does so, they too will be permanently banned.

Advertisement