Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV reception

• 26-08-2015 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Hi,could anyone advise me as to a tv dealer/installer in South Tipperary.UPC are discontinuing the service from 28/9/15 so it leaves us high and dry.I do not wishto have anything to do with Sky so thats a non starter.Any help would be appreciated.Bogs.:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭HcksawJimDuggan

Michael Connolly located in Killenaule. He is a sky installer but also does saorview & saorsat TV.

http://killenaule.tipperary.saorview-retailers.satellitetv.tel/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭All in all

I have used Pat Lonergan and he has been good.

http://www.yelp.ie/biz/pat-lonergan-tv-installations-clonmel

But if you look in your local paper you will probably see ads for someone local to you. There is a good few guys at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

bogs wrote: »
    UPC are discontinuing the service from 28/9/15 so it leaves us high and dry.

What service are they discontinuing, is it their MMDS service?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭bogs

Im not sure.All i know is that i got a letter earlier this week from UPC that they were discontinuing service in the Carrick area from next month

Im not sure.All i know is that i got a letter earlier this week from UPC that they were discontinuing service in the Carrick area from next month

Do you have a UPC aerial on the roof like the ones I posted to above or a cable feed from the street?

• Advertisement

All i know is that there is a cable coming from the chimney into my front room.Im sure there must be an ariel attached.I cant get the ariel you mean up on screen.Bags

Cush,I found the pictures of the two ariels and yes i have the first one like a square net.Where do i go from here?.Bogs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭icjzfmq7ewon1t

Depends what channels you want to receive. If it's free to air ones like BBC ITV channel 4 channel five and there are others you can get them with a dish and free to air box which would be a one off payment.
    You can receive RTE TV 3 etc through Saorview which would also be a one off payment.
    However if you want sports and movies and some other channels like sky one for example your only option is a Sky subscription.
    Hope this helps

Where do i go from here?.

There is no easy one box solution to replace UPC's MMDS service if you don't want to go the Sky route.

For the Irish channels an aerial and Saorview receiver will be required, the receiver can be a TV or set-top box (STB). Your TV may be capable of receiving Saorview with the correct aerial attached if it was purchased in the last few years. If you post the make and model of the TV someone should be able to advise.

If you want to watch/record the Irish channels there is one approved Saorview (recorder) STB on the market and when connected to the correct aerial will allow you to watch 1 programme and record 1 programme or record 2 programmes at the same time. The Walker WP6500TTR is available from Powercity for just under €100 at the moment (originally €230).

Information on switching to Saorview can be found here - http://www.saorview.ie/get-saorview/make-the-switch/
    Saorview channel info here - http://www.saorview.ie/what-is-saorview/

For the free UK channels Freesat is probably the most user friendly option with user friendly interface, 7 day programme guide, fixed channel layout, recording option with series linking and automatic channel updating when channels change frequency on satellite. Satellite dish required.

There are free-to-air (FTA) satellite receivers, some that combine the Saorview channels but can be a little less user friendly, no 7 day programme guide for the sat channels, sat channels must be manually arranged to suit your requirements, retuning required if channels change frequency which can happen occasionally, no series linking and recording options vary.

List of channels on Freesat - http://www.tvchannellists.com/List_of_channels_on_Freesat_(UK)
    Freesat receivers - http://www.freesat.co.uk/get-freesat/recommended/freesat-plus-with-freetime

The Humax Freesat+ receivers are highly recommended here on boards as is the Manhattan Plaza HDR Freesat+ box.

There is no single Saorview/Freesat receiver that would give you the benefits of both services.
    The aerial and dish can be used to feed other TVs/receivers in the house.
    There is an initial setup cost for this but no on-going subscription charges.

A local installer would be recommended to install the aerial and dish and hopefully the information above will point you in the right direction as regards subscription free TV.

Cush,I found the pictures of the two ariels and yes i have the first one like a square net.

The reason I ask is because we've been following the decline of the MMDS service here on boards over the years.

The regulator, Comreg, announced the decision to end the MMDS spectrum licences next year, back in early 2013 and sell off the spectrum to the mobile companies.

UPC only recently acknowledged publically they're switching off the MMDS service, via a post here on boards, and you're the first UPC MMDS subscriber I've come across that losing the service because of this decision and earlier than I would've expected with the spectrum licences not ending until the 18th April next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Tippjohn

Installing your own free satelllite tv system is easy. Less than 100e. All you need is a drill, two spanners and a screwdriver. Plus the ability to read and find 28 deg to the East of South, plus 8 degrees ( difference between here and London) An hours work at most. Mount on wall about 8ft up or higher to clear obstructions. Do not fit to stack. Get a perforated dish.

Advertisement