Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grooming a terrier- handstripping?

• 26-08-2015 4:11pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks

I have a border terrier cross with fur kind of like this (from google images)

Hand%20stripping%205.jpg

She went to the groomers today for a bit of a tidy up and she's essentially been scalped! She was totally shaved and her fur is shorter than a Jack Russell's.

She is double coated, so should I leave her six months and then start getting her handstripped? I don't want her shaved again, just groomed and tidy- would handstripping be the better option for this type of result?
    She's practically bald now, so I certainly don't want a result again like this.

I've been googling handstripping, but the more I read the more confused I get. :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Handstripping where possible is much better for the dog. Double coats protect the dog from the elements & shaving or clipping takes off the protective topcoat layer leaving the soft undercoat.

There is no comparison between a handstripped coat & a groomers shaved coat. Handstripped looks far better.

The dog in the picture is a Border Terrier of which I have 4. I also handstrip an Italian Spinone. 3 of my Borders are handstripped by myself to show standard. The 4th is a spayed & spaying frequently ruins their coat leaving them unable to be stripped. Old dogs or dogs with skin conditions may not be possible to hand strip either.

Unfortunately many 'Groomers' do not know how to hand strip or else want to shave the dog as handstripping takes more time.

Now that your dog has been shaved it may take many many months before her coat comes back. If you specifically asked the groomer to handstrip you should ask for your money back. I would be furious.

If you are located in Dublin I can show you how to handstrip your dog or let you have a practise on one of mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Sorry for going off topic but just a question to knine, when you say spaying a bitch changes her coat, is it stil manageable? Was myself put off by the breed because of the hand stripping, ended up getting a beautiful cocker instead,,

Sorry for going off topic but just a question to knine, when you say spaying a bitch changes her coat, is it stil manageable? Was myself put off by the breed because of the hand stripping, ended up getting a beautiful cocker instead,,

Yes still managable & could be clipped if not. Some bitches can still be stripped afterwards. To be honest Cocker coats are hard work because they will go wooly after spaying. We have had this breed also. They need a lot of work to keep them smelling & looking nice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Thanks for all the info, Knine.
    I worry that handstripping could make her fur very wirey if her soft undercoat is stripped away. I feed her coconut oil to keep her soft so don't want to defeat the purpose.

Does handstripping leave the dog with very short hair?
    I think I'm going to leave my dog for 6 months and then see how she gets on being handstripped. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Knine wrote: »
    Yes still managable & could be clipped if not. Some bitches can still be stripped afterwards. To be honest Cocker coats are hard work because they will go wooly after spaying. We have had this breed also. They need a lot of work to keep them smelling & looking nice.

I don't want to hijack the thread but I've a question for you Knine, as you seem to be well experienced with it, is handstripping something that is generally strenuous for a groomer? Or is it not if done correctly?

A coworker of mine (groomer) finds it physically uncomfortable to do after a short while. I had to help her finish a dog one evening because of the soreness of her forearm, it was also a killer for me as well. She hasn't been trained professionally about how to handstrip, it's the only thing that has defeated her. :(

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Advertisement

The coat on Borders should be very wiry. The harsher the better. This is what gives the great protection. The softer undercoat keeps them warm. You can pour water over mine & it just runs off!

You can get some tools such as stripping knifes & chalk to give better grip.

How much coat they have depends on whether you are doing a complete strip & leaving them in their undercoat or just rolling the coat which basically means leaving them with their wiry coat & tidying up. When breeding I take a lot of consideration of producing really good coats which can easily be rolled without ever doing a full strip.

VonVix wrote: »
    I don't want to hijack the thread but I've a question for you Knine, as you seem to be well experienced with it, is handstripping something that is generally strenuous for a groomer? Or is it not if done correctly?

A coworker of mine (groomer) finds it physically uncomfortable to do after a short while. I had to help her finish a dog one evening because of the soreness of her forearm, it was also a killer for me as well. She hasn't been trained professionally about how to handstrip, it's the only thing that has defeated her. :(

Hya sorry only seen this now. No it should not be uncomfortable. It can take some time to fully strip out a dog. I don't get tired or sore arms but if it takes me a lot of time I do give the dog a break. Is she using any tools to help such as chalk, stones or a knife? These can make it easier. Was the dogs coat ready to come out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Knine wrote: »
    Hya sorry only seen this now. No it should not be uncomfortable. It can take some time to fully strip out a dog. I don't get tired or sore arms but if it takes me a lot of time I do give the dog a break. Is she using any tools to help such as chalk, stones or a knife? These can make it easier. Was the dogs coat ready to come out?

No worries. We were using a knife, stone and finger condoms. We didn't use the stone that much though. We both found it physically strenuous on us, so I was wondering if we were actually doing it right!

No sure if it was ready to come out, but it was coming out even though it seemed to require a bit of pulling.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

VonVix wrote: »
    No worries. We were using a knife, stone and finger condoms. We didn't use the stone that much though. We both found it physically strenuous on us, so I was wondering if we were actually doing it right!

No sure if it was ready to come out, but it was coming out even though it seemed to require a bit of pulling.

When it is ready to come out it will pull really easy. Some areas can be harder then others such as belly, neck etc but the main back, sides, legs should be easy.

I remember a friend seeing the finger condoms in my grooming box & asking if they were for the Stud Dog............ lol

Advertisement