Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Premium for an Ensuite Room

Options
  • 26-08-2015 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Just wondering what people would consider to be an appropriate premium for a tenant to have an ensuite room over the standard rooms. For example, let's say a 4 bed house with one ensuite is renting for €2,000 per month. Would €50 extra for the ensuite be reasonable or too much/too little? e.g. the ensuite room would rent for around €540 and the other rooms around €486 each per month.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

Seems alright, for Dublin anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Too little IMHO. I'd expect the en suite to be worth about €100 especially given if there is only one it's probably the master bedroom.

€475 x 3
    €575 x 1

IMHO

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Too little IMHO. I'd expect the en suite to be worth about €100 especially given if there is only one it's probably the master bedroom.

€475 x 3
    €575 x 1

IMHO

I think that is about right too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I know a lot of people do it by square footage. So you'll likely have a large master + ensuite vs someone in the box room.

Works out quite fairly usually

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Is this a house share where 4 people are renting and wondering how to split the rent, or is it a landlord separately renting the rooms. If the first I have heard of people bidding on the best rooms. So start at 500 and let people bid how much they would be willing to pay for the premium of having the ensuite, then do same for other rooms going down in quality. If is landlord renting rooms separately I'd think about 80-100 more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

As a matter of interest, would people equate having full exclusive use of the main upstairs bathroom as being as good as having an en suite? I'm planning on subletting a room on those terms, just wondering is it appropriate to advertise on Daft as en-suite, with explanation that it's the main bathroom in the description section. Obviously in most cases (as in mine) the main bathroom will be much bigger than an en-suite ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

As a matter of interest, would people equate having full exclusive use of the main upstairs bathroom as being as good as having an en suite? I'm planning on subletting a room on those terms, just wondering is it appropriate to advertise on Daft as en-suite, with explanation that it's the main bathroom in the description section. Obviously in most cases (as in mine) the main bathroom will be much bigger than an en-suite ...

It depends. If you have guests over will you instruct them to use your bathroom instead of the main?

Taboola wrote: »
    It depends. If you have guests over will you instruct them to use your bathroom instead of the main?

No, absolutely not! I have a downstairs toilet, and if they were staying overnight and needed a shower, they'd be using my en-suite.

I lived in a houseshare previously where I moved in on the basis that I'd have the main bathroom for myself (I only realised this at the viewing, it had been advertised as a room with an en-suite bathroom.) But the owner-occupier often used it when I was out, I'd find his toothpicks in my bin, or the seat left up, or whatever. And there was no separate toilet, so I'm pretty sure he let his guests use mine. Drove me mad!

I'm perfectly happy with my en-suite, I've lived here the past couple of years with my ex and the main bathroom was his, I think I used it about three times (and even then I asked him first, to use the bath, because I haven't got one.) If I get a tenant, it'll be absolutely for their exclusive use, I won't even be asking to use it on an occasional basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I wouldn't equate exclusive use of main bathroom with en-suite, you miss out on the whole aspect of not having to leave your room to go to bathroom i.e. I can get out of bed naked and wander to toilet with an en-suite I can't with a main bathroom. To me there is no or very little premium to having a main bathroom just to myself if I have to go into landing to get there. Others may disagree but that would be my take on it.

cruizer101 wrote: »
    I wouldn't equate exclusive use of main bathroom with en-suite, you miss out on the whole aspect of not having to leave your room to go to bathroom i.e. I can get out of bed naked and wander to toilet with an en-suite I can't with a main bathroom. To me there is no or very little premium to having a main bathroom just to myself if I have to go into landing to get there. Others may disagree but that would be my take on it.

See I have to admit I'd feel the same! But I'm just wondering is that the same as how the majority feel, or am I just fussy. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

cruizer101 wrote: »

I'd agree with this.

But OTOH I wouldn't pay a E100 premium PCM for having an ensuite: it's really not that hard to pull a dressing-gown on when you need to have a leak.

I might pay an extra E20 PCM, but not much more, unless the room with the ensuite was a lot better than the room without.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

I usually felt an en suite would be worth 10-15% more per month so long as the other rooms were the same standard just minus the en suite. If the en suite bedroom is of a much higher quality or square footage then obviously it is worth more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

I'd agree with this.

But OTOH I wouldn't pay a E100 premium PCM for having an ensuite: it's really not that hard to pull a dressing-gown on when you need to have a leak.

I might pay an extra E20 PCM, but not much more, unless the room with the ensuite was a lot better than the room without.

I know plenty of Landlords who charge €100 premiums for ensuite and its generally expected. I find shared bathrooms often to be disgusting in a house. I love when you have your own bathroom, its exactly as you want it. There isnt a bin full of month old sanitary towels and a shower full of someone elses hair.

People have different elasticities of price. I think €100 is reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

As a matter of interest, would people equate having full exclusive use of the main upstairs bathroom as being as good as having an en suite? I'm planning on subletting a room on those terms, just wondering is it appropriate to advertise on Daft as en-suite,

What would your reaction be to the tenant walking butt naked to the bathroom? That's the benefit of an en suite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

ted1 wrote: »
    What would your reaction be to the tenant walking butt naked to the bathroom? That's the benefit of an en suite

I guess it would depend on how good looking they are.

Advertisement