Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to get MR-MDF in Dublin?

Options
  • 26-08-2015 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

Hi all,

Ive bought a festtol track saw with the intention of making some wardrobes.

I've never done any carpentry before but I'm relatively capable so I thought, well its a new skill, and if I'm crap at it I'll just sell the saw again.
    I went on woodworking-forum-uk and they were kind enough to point me in the direction of faced MR-MDF.

I'm having a bit of a job locating in dublin... Have any of you guys any notion where I might find this material?
    I'm living in D15, so someplace close would be nice, but I dont mind travelling.

cheers for reading,
    redd .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

No nothing about MR MDF but I do know that the dust from MDF is pretty bad so good dust collection and good face masks are essential:
    Am not talking about the ones our oriental friends wear around town.
    If u shelled out for the festool, then
    maybe this or similar
    http://www.axminster.co.uk/trend-airshield-pro

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Noyeks Newman in ballymount is were I'd buy a lot of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭CharlieZeroOne

thats lads for the info, much appreciated. Will have a gander at Noyeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Are these wardrobes built in or freestanding ? If built in to an alcove you only need to make a face frame and reinforced shelves with brass rail etc.
    If freestanding I would use veneered standard 18mm MDF. Its a little heavy - a sheet weighs 40 kg but is there any point using MR ( moisture resistant ) MDF
    which is only available in a moss green finish and would need painting.?

hey there, cheers for the input, appreciate all and any i can get. I went as far as Noyeks this morning, and your right, they were like, the moisture resistant is green, we have standard mdf thats faced in various colours. 8x4 sheets are 44 euro or so.

The wardrobes are freestanding. I might show pics of what im thinking and perhaps people could chime in with an opinion or pointers.

regards )

• Advertisement

It depends on the overall look of the wardrobes. To be honest, unless you have a definite finish in mind you will probably find it cheaper to buy from IKEA. Even if you get 8x4 sheets of MDF they need an edge strip applied and then need to be varnished/painted. Its all time and labour.You also need something like a sheet of 6mm hardboard or ply for the back to stabilize the whole structure.

cheers for the tip bout the hardwood Recipio.
    To be honest its kinda about the doing of it, id like to learn more, I enjoy building things but so far its all been metal, am enjoying the idea of being able to create stuff outta wood, its a new realm for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

Are you going making the doors or buying them reason i ask that is doors come in standard sizes

Redd4 wrote: »
    cheers for the tip bout the hardwood Recipio.
    To be honest its kinda about the doing of it, id like to learn more, I enjoy building things but so far its all been metal, am enjoying the idea of being able to create stuff outta wood, its a new realm for me.

Fair 'enuf.
    Don't forget you can buy panel boards in various finishes - the most common is the ubiquitous melamine - worth a look.
    Wardrobes are big old lumps to assemble and as Peter says need to be designed around the door dimensions.
    Have you considered how to join the components together. ? All the traditional methods -dowels/biscuits etc need a set of sash clamps - expensive.
    I'd suggest you invest in a pocket hole jig which will allow you to screw everything together neatly. Self closing hinges will add a touch of class.
    Keep us informed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

If your concernded about the green colour then medite also do a board called MRND (moisture resistant no dye) which is also stocked by Noyeks.

For those wondering, MR has a few advantages over standard Medite premier, obviously it's moisture resistant but it also is suitable for deep routing and the fact it's denser means that the edges take paint a lot better, less soakage means less paint being used!

• Advertisement
Advertisement