Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job search dilemma

Options
  • 26-08-2015 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I left a permanent job (in which I did well) in July to take another permanent job, which I thought I would be perfect for and would be perfect for me.
    Unfortunately I didn't like it from day one and didn't feel comfortable there. I didn't feel like I fitted in, but hid all that and acted friendly and positive, and did seem to get on fine with people and did well in the training. But still went off and did my own thing on breaks/lunches instead of constantly interacting with the others training with me (that's not to say I didn't interact with them at all on breaks/lunch - I did, always went for lunch with them, but sometimes went off by myself too, for a walk, to catch up on emails/Facebook on my phone etc, on short breaks/after eating lunch with them).
    Then towards the end of training, I struggled a bit with putting the work into practice and was told I needed extra training, which I reacted fine to (even though I was a bit disappointed and concerned - same kinda work I had done in my previous job, but perhaps the way I did it previously was too ingrained and they were looking for something a bit different) and I pretended it was really positive to be getting this extra opportunity etc. I was reassured it wasn't unheard of.

After less than two days of the extra training (from which I was not receiving any negative feedback) I was called into HR who advised me they would not be continuing the contract, as they felt I was not the right fit and they didn't feel my way of interacting with customers was compatible with what they wanted. The first thing I asked was whether I had done anything wrong. They were genuinely adamant that I hadn't, not even something small. They even said I seemed to be doing very well there after appearing lost in the first couple of days, but then not seeming the right fit towards the end. It wasn't a conduct issue, it was a compatibility issue. I guess there's stuff they left out (e.g. I'd put money on it that they were concerned about me not hanging around with fellow trainees at all times - they seemed to watch that kinda thing closely) but they don't have to divulge I suppose if it's probation. I was a bit shocked at first as I've never experienced something like this before, but I wasn't happy there so I guess it was better off ultimately. And they paid me for the full month, which they didn't have to do.
    I was there for six weeks and less than two days.

My problem now is: do I put it on my CV when applying to companies or leave it out? I've told an agency about it and they were fine about it as you can talk those kinds of things through with them, and some temping is in the pipeline for me hopefully, but I don't know if companies are going to be so sympathetic. Would my record of several years' continuous employment and skills acquired and good references... be overshadowed by this six-week glitch? If I leave it out, how do I explain leaving a permanent job, and if I don't get any temping in between, there's the P45 issue if I get something (I know that's leaping ahead but I have to consider all eventualities).

Bit of a nightmare, and all down to one decision I made myself - but it was the right decision at the time and not made on a whim; I never dreamed how it would turn out, so there's no point in wallowing.

Your views would be most welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Tubberadora

I'm not going to advise you one way or the other, but I have to compliment you on your extremely positive attitude. This should stand to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

My husband is in a very similar situation. Job of 7 weeks, let go, he's 2 months unemployed now :( He has just now decided to take the most recent job off his CV as he isn't even getting many interviews for positions he is definitely qualified and experienced enough for. I think recruiters/HR managers see the short stint and jump to conclusions that he was fired or he's a job hopper (even though he worked for 3 years for each of the 3 previous companies on his CV). (Fired is being let go for something serious, like gross misconduct).

If you get an interview, you can explain the reasoning then. You need to get your foot in the door first, you don't want them to just throw your CV in the bin.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi there,

Thanks Tubberadora, appreciated. :) I'm being positive because I can afford to be - no worries like dependants, major debt etc. But naturally I want to get back into the workplace ASAP.

That's awful for your husband Monife - thanks for the advice coming from first-hand experience. That's what I worry about too. Busy recruiters with tons of applications might only take note of the bad rather than the good. Unfortunate, but I guess if I saw two similar CVs and one had the questionable short stint and the other hadn't, I'd go for the latter one too.

I'd be interested to hear from employers/recruiters/managers if any are reading.

Thanks again all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Hi there,

Thanks Tubberadora, appreciated. :) I'm being positive because I can afford to be - no worries like dependants, major debt etc. But naturally I want to get back into the workplace ASAP.

That's awful for your husband Monife - thanks for the advice coming from first-hand experience. That's what I worry about too. Busy recruiters with tons of applications might only take note of the bad rather than the good. Unfortunate, but I guess if I saw two similar CVs and one had the questionable short stint and the other hadn't, I'd go for the latter one too.

I'd be interested to hear from employers/recruiters/managers if any are reading.

Thanks again all.

Spoke to my HR manager about my husband's situation and she said two options, leave it off the CV or don't put end dates on your jobs.

With regards to the interview, she said even if being let go wasn't fully your fault, do not blame the company AT ALL. And don't even say you were let go, just say the job wasn't the right fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks again Monife.

Someone I was talking to who worked in recruitment gave similar advice - best to leave it out.

Hope your husband finds something soon. Maybe if he says he just wanted to take some time out to have a break as it's his last chance to do something like that, with the aim that the next job will be his forever one (and not to give them his P45 when he gets something - there's ways of getting your tax sorted without giving in your P45).

• Advertisement
Advertisement