Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BRUGGES V MANUTD BLOCKED ON SAORSAT!

• 26-08-2015 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

rte 2 hd on saorsat is showing a "this programme is not available" wtf!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

dbcool wrote: »
    rte 2 hd on saorsat is showing a "this programme is not available" wtf!!!

Yes came here to see was it affecting others. What's the story with that! I hope this isn't the start of a trend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭Delta Lima

I've heard of them doing this type of thing with Northern Ireland Sky customers, and on RTE's on Freeview in the North, due to TV rights issues.

But I think this is lousy service for TV Licence payers in the south, who have gone to the trouble of getting Soarsat installed, and who can't get RTE through Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

is this a first for saorsat? surely the whole idea of saorsat was a tight beam that covered ireland only and now they block out the programme. I wonder is it because Setanta/Bt objected. No way should BT object as there is little if any possibility of anyone beyond the western most part of Wales with a slim chance of receiving it.

I've fired off an email questioning the reason it was blocked. While I wasn't hugely interested in the match tonight, I want to know if this is something saorsat viewers can expect in the future.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'd hope it's a mistake, else it makes the Saorsat idea a bit of a farce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I wonder is it because Setanta/Bt objected. No way should BT object as there is little if any possibility of anyone beyond the western most part of Wales with a slim chance of receiving it.

Setanta would have no grounds for an objection as RTE are also rights holders in the same country as Setanta. BT however could as the Saorsat footprint also covers Northern Ireland. Even at that I would say that it would be incredibly petty of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

No doubt it was BT. They showed a SD version on Freeview. The HD version was available to those that subscribe to BT through their BT Sport Europe channel. It is one of the 12 games that BT are obliged to show FTA as part of the €1.3billion deal to show European football for the next 3 years.

Terrestrial overspill is obviously tolerated but satellite overspill from a narrow beam Ka TP is not. RTE are worse eejits for not telling them what to do with themselves...

I wonder did they have to black out the Terestrial NIM as well ? That would be a real farce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭egal

I wonder how many viewers in NI actually have Saorsat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

egal wrote: »

I am sure many dont know what a Ka LNB is..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭kooga

Out of curiosity was the game available to watch on the ni mux and on the sky platform in ni?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

kooga wrote: »
    Out of curiosity was the game available to watch on the ni mux and on the sky platform in ni?
    Stuff like Champions League games on RTÉ 2 are blacked out on the RNI multiplex (ex-NIMM), NI Sky subscribers, Virgin media subscribers. In the first and last case, these signals are "NI sourced" in that the viewer is watching the channel via a NI based source for reception, while for Sky relevant cards that are marked for NI postcodes can be blocked from viewing certain programmes at the stations' discretion if they don't have territorial rights for that area.

The news however that coverage on Saorsat was blocked because of the potential of overspill outside the Republic of Ireland is odd to hear if it relates to NI reception of the platform. I would say that at best there are a couple of thousand households in NI watching RTÉ via Saorsat. OTOH there are at least 350,000 households whom can receive Saorview satisfactory whose number increases when including fringe areas if a good high-gain aerial is properly installed (with amp if necessary). If BT wanted to stop viewers in NI from watching CL games then blocking transmission on Saorsat is like pissing into a hurricane. But if they're trying that, then it would not be putting past them trying to see if they could apply the same on any Saorview transmitter site that could be received across the border. :eek::eek: This is the craic concerning GAA coverage on satellite back in the 00's all over again.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

egal wrote: »

I'd be surprised if there was any more than a handful for a platform that has zero marketing. Most viewers in the Republic would never have heard of it, never mind the North! There'd be more NI viewers able to receive Saorview overspill than with equipment capable of receiving Saorsat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Here in NI vast majority of viewers with right aerial and amplification can pick up Saorview. I guess those using Saorsat you could count on one hand.

I suspect the main appeal of Saorsat in Northern Ireland would be in areas that never really had an analogue RTÉ signal available and still don't have a reliable one post-ASO. Even then I reckon most of those that want it likely have it through a Sky subscription. Potentially useful though in the likes of pubs etc. that don't want to shell out commercial Sky rates but show RTÉ sports programming like soccer, rugby, Gaelic games etc. Much of North Antrim would spring to mind where before RTÉ even appeared on Sky, VHF or UHF TV reception except in a few high places or a clear sea path to Inishowen would have been impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Was it also blocked on the NI Minimux?

Richard wrote: »
    Was it also blocked on the NI Minimux?

Yes - all UEFA Champions League coverage on RTÉ 2 is blacked out on there as well as on Sky and Virgin Media in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Yes - all UEFA Champions League coverage on RTÉ 2 is blacked out on there as well as on Sky and Virgin Media in NI.
    A bit bl**dy pointless when the vast majority of people can get it on Saorview! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

A bit bl**dy pointless when the vast majority of people can get it on Saorview! :(

I agree but I guess that since BT sports has UK rights to these matches geo-blocking is to be expected on programmes from transmitters within NI. What is interesting re geo-blocking is that Home and Away is blacked out on Sky and NIMM but not Neighbours.

Saorview is on its own said to cover approx 56% of the population in NI, though this can be higher with a good outdoor aerial installation in certain locations. For example in the Saorview coverage checker, most of Omagh town is regarded as "reception is a challenge" but most of UHF aerials that were installed for southern analogue TV there have little trouble picking up Saorview so in reality the coverage black hole is smaller than shown. Combined with the RNI multiplex, the two present 93% population coverage of NI - the RNI mux can reach some places where Saorview can't because of topography. Even within some coverage areas where Saorview is possible, those restricted to one aerial can still get RTÉ 1, RTÉ2 & TG4 if it's trained on a site carrying the RNI mux.

Also just because CL soccer and Home & Away are blacked out doesn't make it pointless - plenty of other content of interest is there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

I agree but I guess that since BT sports has UK rights to these matches geo-blocking is to be expected on programmes from transmitters within NI. What is interesting re geo-blocking is that Home and Away is blacked out on Sky and NIMM but not Neighbours.

Maybe it's a requirement of the Australian makers (different channels in Oz)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think that Ch 5 pay a lot for Home and Away and are very precious about it. They went ape when RTE played an episode ahead of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Also just because CL soccer and Home & Away are blacked out doesn't make it pointless - plenty of other content of interest is there.

The pointless thing is blocking it out on SaorSat. This impacts SaorSat customers in the Republic as well as those in Northern Ireland (which as dicussed is probably a really small number).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Have saorview made any statement explaining why the match was not broadcasted on Saorsat?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭gerry sat

Does this mean a customer in Cork/Kerry who can't get saorview, gets a cheaper TV Licence fee, since they can't watch what they are in theory paying for ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

gerry sat wrote: »
    Does this mean a customer in Cork/Kerry who can't get saorview, gets a cheaper TV Licence fee, since they can't watch what they are in theory paying for ?

Of course not. They can watch what they are paying for - the TV. You need a TV licence if you have a TV, even if it does not work. The programmes come free. [Sorry but thems the rules].

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Just to be clear though, are the CL games blocked out on RTE2 on Saorsat for viewers in the ROI?

If yes well then it is a farcical situation where users of the platform had to pay potentially a huge amount of money beforehand to obtain a sub-standard satellite TV platform from RTE.

Have any other sports events been blocked on Saorsat so far to add to that CL game for example the GAA matches from last weekend been blocked on it.

FRIENDO wrote: »
    Have saorview made any statement explaining why the match was not broadcasted on Saorsat?
    Thanks

I sent a couple of emails. Got a response to say someone would get back to me (not the automatic response) but no explanation ever came.

Anyone else manage to get a response?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

SeaFields wrote: »
    I sent a couple of emails. Got a response to say someone would get back to me (not the automatic response) but no explanation ever came.

live RTE champions league games should be blocked out on saorsat, as Ireland is only a small country

the only people affected were people in Northern Ireland and the UK that thought these live would be shown on this platform

BT Showcase is showing Roma v Barcelona in 2 weeks instead of PSV v MUFC

most people in Saorsat areas have sky tv so they can access RTE2 and TV3 and subscribe to the setanta pack for more live games

Have any other sports events been blocked on Saorsat so far to add to that CL game for example the GAA matches from last weekend been blocked on it.

I don't think any other sports have been blocked.
    I watched the Dublin V Mayo game last Sunday and I think I also watched the first round CL game between Celtic V Malmo on RTE HD Saorsat a couple of weeks ago also.

Hopefully the blocking of the united game on saorsat was an error by the relevant authorities, and its sorted soon.

• Advertisement

ftakeith wrote: »
    live RTE champions league games should be blocked out on saorsat, as Ireland is only a small country

the only people affected were people in Northern Ireland and the UK that thought these live would be shown on this platform

most people in Saorsat areas have sky tv so they can access RTE2 and TV3 and subscribe to the setanta pack for more live games

I don't agree, I don't want to subscribe to sports tv, Sky or Setanta nor can I afford it.
    However I do pay my tv licence.

Blocking out games on Saorsat is silly, the saorsat reception overspill is very similar to the saorview overspill in areas it may reach.
    However less people in the over spill areas would receive saorsat as most likely they wont have the required equipment for the saorsat signal or may not even know about saorsat.

Hopefully this matter is sorted and we will have all RTE sports available on Saorsat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

... most people in Saorsat areas have sky tv

And you know this how? And you know how many small terrestrial TV transmitters were switched off for good at ASO?

Thanks SeaFields, I was out on the night so I did not notice.
    Hopefully the blocking of the match was an error and it wont happen again.
    Time will tell.

I was affected and I am not in the North, along with a few more affected in this thread.

I'm lost by this argument?! What was the point of saorsat in the first place so?!

RTÉ's GAA rights are for the whole island of Ireland so nobody would have the right to object to it being on Saorsat.
    Thurston? wrote: »
    And you know this how? And you know how many small terrestrial TV transmitters were switched off for good at ASO?

He doesn't. Ramblings and guess work is all you will ever see.

Post-Crap-Family_cry.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I notice that on LJ's satellite listings for Euro qualifiers 9A is not listed for the Ireland Georgia match. They are only listing the Sky frequencies on 28.

From memory I'm pretty sure that they alway show 9A as a FTA listing for matches on RTE2.

http://liveonsat.com/los_soc_int_M_euro2016.php

I was affected and I am not in the North, along with a few more affected in this thread.

I'm lost by this argument?! What was the point of saorsat in the first place so?!

where do you live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

where do you live

It's a fact that populated areas exist in ROI where Saorview reception is not possible, that doesn't change whether or not that's the reason for a particular poster in this thread being 'affected'.

where do you live

Can you not accept there are people with no Saorview reception that do not want to pay Sky for Irish television?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Look, I'm not entirely sure where this argument is even going. ftakeith you might want to give stronger reason for games to be blocked out than "Ireland is a small country", you are a step away from trolling at this stage

• Advertisement

I notice that on LJ's satellite listings for Euro qualifiers 9A is not listed for the Ireland Georgia match. They are only listing the Sky frequencies on 28.

From memory I'm pretty sure that they alway show 9A as a FTA listing for matches on RTE2.

http://liveonsat.com/los_soc_int_M_euro2016.php

No problems with Fridays game and tonight's game is on the saorsat epg, it should be on.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Dare I ask... was it on?

Yes it was on, I wasn't home myself, but I checked with the family at home watching the game

A Live Champions League game is listed on RTE2 HD Saorsat epg for next Wednesday, hopefully it will be on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Incorrect, another sweeping generalisation from you.

There are small parts (2% - according to www.saorview.ie) of the country that do not pick up a signal from terrestrial signals. This map shows the areas not in green which are affected.

Why deprive them?

It is astounding how someone who once was so anti pay TV now wants events blocked out on a FTA service

lertsnim wrote: »
    It is astounding how someone who once was so anti pay TV now wants events blocked out on a FTA service

to protect the Irish fta saorview rights from pay tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

That's sounds really confusing to me.

You understand that the remainder of the RTE TV Channels on Saorview will now be added on to Sky in the next few months. How can you say then that they are not protected? There will no major changes to the channels from Saorview or Saorsat in how they are relayed during that period.

This is because both of these platforms owned by RTE. It would be political suicide for all Saorview viewers (including myself) and Saorsat viewers alike to have rules from the government onto RTE to be given restrict screenings of a small number of selected sports events just because they are on a pay tv platforms like Sky or UPC.

A small but drastic change in the Broadcasting Act 2009 would be required to facilitate that from happening. Even if that was passed in Irish law the EU will be up in arms over a possible breach of EU law. There maybe be some major rumblings too coming from UFEA who had given these rights to RTE in this instance. This in effect could count as a serious breach, on RTE's part, of their current CL rights contract with UFEA.

Please do carry on with an explanation on how the Irish FTA rights would be at threat if shown on Saorsat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

lertsnim wrote: »
    Please do carry on with an explanation on how the Irish FTA rights would be at threat if shown on Saorsat.

Because the signal is not encrypted.

If anyone in Europe could access the matches on RTE via satellite, then it reduces the amount TV companies are going to want to pay for those rights in other countries.

If that became an issue, rights holders would just stop selling to RTE at all.

So it's easier to block out the feed for the tiny, tiny number of people who actually use Saorsat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement