Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7,8,8.1 privacy issues

• 26-08-2015 8:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

Seems the latest batch of updates contain two which are sending user data back to Microsoft, similar to Windows 10.

KB3075249 – This update adds telemetry points to the User Account Control (UAC) feature to collect information on elevations that come from low integrity levels.

KB3080149 – This package updates the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices. This service provides benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet upgraded. The update also supports applications that are subscribed to Visual Studio Application Insights.

https://www.hackread.com/microsoft-updates-spy-on-windows7-8-users/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

I have to say I don't get get all the worry about privacy issues I wonder how many of the people giving out about it are the ones who share their whole lives on Facebook, Twitter etc. We are getting too paranoid.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

obezyana wrote: »
    I have to say I don't get get all the worry about privacy issues I wonder how many of the people giving out about it are the ones who share their whole lives on Facebook, Twitter etc. We are getting too paranoid.

It's pretty unusual to be honest, I really don't get it. I can't imagine any scenario where Microsoft would actually care about what a standard user is doing on a granular basis.

I've heard a lot of complaints about spying recently, between Microsoft and Spotify, and it seems bizarre that to me that people can become so paranoid over features that are there to make a product better.

These telemetry points have also been one of the most requested features at enterprise level, so that sysadmins can track when UAC is invoked.

People also forget they share alot of info via their phones and tablets so it is not just MS at it. Personally i keep as much of my life offline as i can but i do accept some compromise when it comes to ease of use and functionality for my PC or Mac.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

obezyana wrote: »
    People also forget they share alot of info via their phones and tablets so it is not just MS at it. Personally i keep as much of my life offline as i can but i do accept some compromise when it comes to ease of use and functionality for my PC or Mac.

People also forget that as soon as they connect to the Internet, their ISP tracks everything they do as well, and then sells it to advertisers.

CatInABox wrote: »
    People also forget that as soon as they connect to the Internet, their ISP tracks everything they do as well, and then sells it to advertisers.

Ah yes I actually never thought of that one :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement