Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jarryd Hayne

• 26-08-2015 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16 SnakeHetfield

Not a 49ers fan but I have to say I thought Jarryd Hayne was outstanding in his preseason debuts. I know that it's early days and the level of intensity and quality of player selection in the preseason is significantly lower than in the regular season, but even with that said he looked particularly elusive and strong. The only problem I could forsee would be him taking big high upper body hits and fumbling the ball, as he still moves and thinks like a rugby player. I think hb/rb is the most exciting position in the sport, and it's great to see dominating running backs in the game. Do you think he could be one of the great running backs? I think he'll be the starting 49ers hb for sure

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭double GG

Far far far too early to say he can even be a RB in the NFL never mind a 'great' RB.

He obviously hasn't done his chances of making the roster any harm but he's far away from being a starting RB. He definitely brings excitement to punt returns and it's always nice to see a player transition from a different sport/ background to be a success but it seems quite a distance away for him. It will be interesting to see how he can adapt to all to big hits in the NFL.

He's been predominantly up against second/third string defences so only time will tell.

I'm sure he has a lot of backers and plenty of support and will only grow into the game more. Even if he doesn't make the 49ers roster he will definitely be picked up by someone.

Also he's definitely behind Hyde and Bush in the depth chart, so he won't be a starter barring major injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

I don't think hits and handling will be an issue at all, the issue will be familiarity with the playbook, the rules of the game and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Wtf, a thread about Jarryd Hayne??? As far as I'm aware threads for individual players are only allowed for legends like Tim Tebow and Trent Richardson!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

eagle eye wrote: »
    Wtf, a thread about Jarryd Hayne??? As far as I'm aware threads for individual players are only allowed for legends like Tim Tebow and Trent Richardson!
    And of course they have to be in the process of implosion, otherwise nobody cares, team thread at best!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Getting a bit ahead of yourself here.
    Not a chance he'll be a starting RB for the 49ers, not a chance he'd be a starter anywhere in the league, let alone one of the greats.

I can see him making a roster based on special teams play alright, but he definitely wont get above 3rd string RB.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

He's a roster bubble candidate. He's Rugby league experience gives him a leg up in terms of tackling etc so he can contribute on special teams.

He's looked good returning kicks but when it comes to the real NFL games I'm not sure the team will want guys making catches running backwards etc. He also needs to know when to fair catch and when to attempt a return.

Right now the running backs are Carlos Hyde, Reggie Bush, Kendall Hunter, Mike Davis, Jarred Payne.

The smart money is on him making the roster but I don't think he'll get much of a look in as a RB except on the odd trick play maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

One thing with Hayne he runs far too tall and will have to learn how to go lower. He has great potential though but as many were saying probably a bubble fringe player. Most likely see a lot of ST play to start if he makes the roster.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭slimpickens

He is making a better fist of it than i expected.

This puts to bed the debate (that probably nobody is having) about whether Jonah Lomu could have made it in the NFL.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

This puts to bed the debate (that probably nobody is having) about whether Jonah Lomu could have made it in the NFL.

Don't get me wrong Jonah Lomu is my all time favourite Rugby player but I think Hayne is a better fit. Met Jonah last year after a talk. He used his boxing skills to know how to hit a guy, how to shape up the one on one match ups. He would have been a brilliant 3rd or 4th down RB. Hayne sizes up the field. If you look at footage of him playing he had all round football skills including extreme awareness of when to pass long and short to put his man away or go himself. He is blistering over 40m stepping off left or right and his fend, though not in Jonah's league is awesome.

I reckon he is showing enough for serious roster consideration. 1 more performance could cement it.

A starting RB? Nope. I'd love to see it but it will take him coming on for a couple of plays after Hyde or Bush and showing them up. Not impossible but very unlikely.

I disagree with doubting his ability to learn and read the game. He is a student of his sport

He is certainly giving me 1 more reason to tune in each week at the moment and fingers crossed he makes the roster :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Any discussion ive seen from American experts re: Rugby was that Lomu, given his size, strength, speed and hands, wouldve been a tight end. A hugely exciting project at that. So Hayne has no relevance to that discussion

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I guess the hype will subside a bit now, Reggie Bush got the punt return work with the first team last night.

Hayne had 2 carries for zero yards, 1 reception for 18 yards off 3 targets and 1 punt return of 12 yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭myate

Hayne will get his big chance on Thursday...starters generally don't play the last preseason game. My guess is he'll be on the 53 man roster more for special teams....rather York & Baalke will tell Tomsula to put him on the roster!

I doubt that he'll make it now.

53 men isn't a lot to have for a season, so keeping someone purely as a kick returner doesn't make sense and he's too far behind the curve to make it at RB right now.
    He wasn't really given much of a chance in the one preseason game that usually matters and he didn't impress with the chances he got.

My expectation now is for him to be signed to the practice squad to be given a chance to develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭nerd69

BizzyC wrote: »
    I doubt that he'll make it now.

53 men isn't a lot to have for a season, so keeping someone purely as a kick returner doesn't make sense and he's too far behind the curve to make it at RB right now.
    He wasn't really given much of a chance in the one preseason game that usually matters and he didn't impress with the chances he got.

My expectation now is for him to be signed to the practice squad to be given a chance to develop.

plenty of rosters keep a guy as a kick returner i think the idea of "just a kick returner" is a bit naive to be honest a good kick returner that can consistently get you an extra 10+ yards on a return is a massive weapon and hayne seems like a good one now he could be a great one with a bit of experience

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

BizzyC wrote: »

No way he makes it as far as the practice squad without another team taking a punt on him I'd say.

nerd69 wrote: »
    plenty of rosters keep a guy as a kick returner i think the idea of "just a kick returner" is a bit naive to be honest a good kick returner that can consistently get you an extra 10+ yards on a return is a massive weapon and hayne seems like a good one now he could be a great one with a bit of experience

They're usually a Kick Returner and a backup WR/RB.
    There isn't anyone I can think of currently who is 100% a kick returner.
    Even Hester was moved into playing WR.

Hayne is too far behind as a RB to realistically get on the depth chart there, meanwhile Reggie Bush is still available and has a history as a great kick returner.

So do you trust the proven ability of a league vet, who can contribute to your offence while allowing someone else on the roster who can contribute to your offence
    OR
    Keep the guy who's been in pads for 2 months, has no value on offence and is yet to really prove himself as a real asset on specials.

Bush looked horrible on kick returns last week and hasn't been a returner since 2011. I think they carry both on the roster.

I think Kendall Hunter will lose out in the running back race. They will keep Hyde, Bush and rookie Mike Davis.

I think Hayne has done enough for a roster spot by the sounds of things.

There will be 3 guys starting the season on various injury/suspension lists so if/when they return more cuts will be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭slimpickens

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Any discussion ive seen from American experts re: Rugby was that Lomu, given his size, strength, speed and hands, wouldve been a tight end. A hugely exciting project at that. So Hayne has no relevance to that discussion

Stole this quote:
    As a rugby player, Lomu played on the wing. Where his job was to basically receive lateral passes, and run with the ball as far as he could with it. Evading and breaking tackles on the way.

I agree with it.
    Lomu's hands were not that great by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SnakeHetfield

Was reading an article there, he's made the first cut and looks likely to make the final 53 man roster. I agree that he does look more comfortable in special teams returning kicks et, but I conceed that it is unlikely he'll be a first string hb, I still maintain that he could be a viable candidate in a few years given his natural talents, but it will depend on how he adapts to the game. I also think that in the meantime he could be a potential starting fb, or even a rotational fb, given that fullbacks are generally bigger and are used much more sparsely. Given his rugby background I could see him having the versatility to change positions if running back doesn't work out for him, someone mentioned Jonah Lomu as a tight end, I could see Hayne playinh that posiion

I see the Hype train is off and running again after last night...

https://twitter.com/BetterRivals/status/639649818084790272

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

adrian522 wrote: »
    I see the Hype train is off and running again after last night...

https://twitter.com/BetterRivals/status/639649818084790272

he reminds me of AP, not the ability but the running style. I hope he sees some snaps at RB this season.

NervousWarmAmericanwarmblood.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

That's one of the ugliest screens I've ever seen. Well, it is the 3rd quarter of the 4th preseason game so I'm not sure what I am expecting.

I liked the way he ran over the CB at the end.

58y rushing, 2 PRs, 1 cover tackle, 1 catch for 17y with that truck to end it with an exclamation mark

He didn't look out of place and I'd be quite suprised if he doesn't make the roster. COO up in the press box speaking highly of him. Commentators impressed. Signs are good

adrian522 wrote: »
    From the twitter machine. Thompson latest to be cut

FYI: As of right now, Jarryd Hayne AND Kendall Hunter are still on the roster. 8 roster moves to go. #49ers 30 mins ago.

They're selling his jersey in the club shop so presumably they are not cutting him..

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Confirmed by the man himself, he's in!

• Advertisement

Seems to be playing it up a bit on Twitter, Mike Davis reckons he already knew well in advance

https://twitter.com/MikeDavisRB/status/640258913649102848

Advertisement