Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jarryd Hayne

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SnakeHetfield

He could not have spelt his name more incorrectly

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

He could not have spelt his name more incorrectly

https://twitter.com/MikeDavisRB/status/640260013529784320

The cluelessness of talking about him as if he played Union is pretty funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,909 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

he had a bit of a mixed bad, a very bad start with the fumble on the the return. had another punt he returned for 10 , but was ruled out for a flag. the vikings punted again, but another fellow took that pnt return , to the house, but again flagged off.

Hayne did have a catch, and i think 3 or 4 runs. Bit quick for people on the thread earlier saying he would 'never' be an NFL running back. Not bad for a lad new to the sport in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

2smiggy wrote: »
    he had a bit of a mixed bad, a very bad start with the fumble on the the return. had another punt he returned for 10 , but was ruled out for a flag. the vikings punted again, but another fellow took that pnt return , to the house, but again flagged off.

Hayne did have a catch, and i think 3 or 4 runs. Bit quick for people on the thread earlier saying he would 'never' be an NFL running back. Not bad for a lad new to the sport in fairness.

I havent read one quote on this thread that said he "would never be a running back". I saw plenty who said he wouldnt be a starter, and others who thought it might be a 3rd string or practice squad player. He's done well to get to where he is, no doubt, but if it wasnt for his rugby history there would be virtually no talk of him. Third string/special teams running backs are ten a penny. Jonas Gray ran for 200 yards and 4 TDs against the Colts last year, now he cant make any practice squads, let alone a roster.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Any guess at his total yardage for this weekend?
    Will he score a TD this season? PR or 3rd & Goal?

Got my first NFL jersey #38 recently. Size large. Bloody huge. Sent back. Swift Medium sent back and happy out.

Seems to have consolidated the lead Punt Return slot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

That's the end of that chapter. He gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Shame it hasn't worked out for him at San Francisco, does that mean he is finished in American Football completely? Would anyone else bother to pick him up? NFL Europe back in the day would have been ideal for him to learn the ropes.

He'll have plenty of offers back in the NRL anyway, he's a class act in Rugby League.

If he isn't signed by one of the other teams he will probably land on the SF practice squad. All 31 other teams will have to waive him starting with the worst record teams in the league. I doubt he is done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm a bit surprised he was waived. I haven't seen much of him but anytime I have seen him get the ball he has looked threatening whether that be a punt return or a running play.

It's not like the 49ers have a strong roster, you'd imagine there are worse players on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

He passed through waivers so will probably stay in SF. Whether that's on the 53 or on the practice squad we'll have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm a bit surprised he was waived. I haven't seen much of him but anytime I have seen him get the ball he has looked threatening whether that be a punt return or a running play.

It's not like the 49ers have a strong roster, you'd imagine there are worse players on it.

He was fumbling too often on punt returns and I think that's what did it for him. On the opening night he had a fumble at around midfield and since then he has had at least 2 fumbles, perhaps 3 in their matches. I suppose for a guy that was supposed to have "great ball skills" from his rugby background, this was meant to be the guaranteed upside he was going to have on other guys. when that went, I reckon the coaches decided it wasn't worth having a guy who really only plays special teams taking up a roster spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,086 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

That they went out to the street this week instead of using him was surely a bad sign.

Would have thought he would get a bye like Nate Ebner for UAS7s. But then Nate is a SB winner. Bloody 49ers don't know a good think if it smack if them in the face :cool:

Serious risk for Hayne if he doesn't make the 12 man aquad.

Still seriously impressive to cross from Rugby League to NFL to Union 7s

Yeah you have to admire the guy. He was a hugely successful rugby league player who took the risk and gave it a good go. He won't be sitting at home when he is 40 years old regretting that he never tried to make it.

I've watched a good bit of 7's over the last two years due to it being in the Olypmics and the Aussies are decent but just one or two players short of being serous contenders. He might make a huge difference to them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah you have to admire the guy. He was a hugely successful rugby league player who took the risk and gave it a good go. He won't be sitting at home when he is 40 years old regretting that he never tried to make it.

I've watched a good bit of 7's over the last two years due to it being in the Olypmics and the Aussies are decent but just one or two players short of being serous contenders. He might make a huge difference to them.

It's Fiji he's trying to play for.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

adrian522 wrote: »
    It's Fiji he's trying to play for.

A team that's going to be much, much harder to get into for him.

Anyway, I find the timing of it all a bit odd to be honest. His conditioning will not be set up for 7s at all and it's quite late to be making a push for the Olympics squad at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Fiji on their day are the best sevens team in the world, problem a lot of the time is availability of players, which shouldn't be as big of an issue in the Olympics. Probably picked the hardest team to make, but good chance of a gold medal if he makes the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Fiji on their day are the best sevens team in the world, problem a lot of the time is availability of players, which shouldn't be as big of an issue in the Olympics. Probably picked the hardest team to make, but good chance of a gold medal if he makes the team.

This is getting away from American football, but how come he's able to pick and choose whatever team he feels like playing for? Is he not Australian?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

This is getting away from American football, but how come he's able to pick and choose whatever team he feels like playing for? Is he not Australian?

He has a Fijian parent. He hasn't represented anyone in Rugby Union so is free to choose who he plays for. He wouldn't be able to play for anyone but Fiji after this.

They approached him about it I think

It'd be pretty impressive if he made the Fijian team, they are the best team as it is. There isn't much between the top teams but they are a little bit ahead when it comes to the bigger tournaments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Podge_irl wrote: »
    He has a Fijian parent. He hasn't represented anyone in Rugby Union so is free to choose who he plays for. He wouldn't be able to play for anyone but Fiji after this.

He played with Fijian league team I think

He played with Fiji in the London 7's and didn't do so well. It'll be hard for him to make it into their squad for the Olympics. Tbh I don't think it would be fair if he was included based on what he did in London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Riders Of Rohan

He played with Fiji in the London 7's and didn't do so well. It'll be hard for him to make it into their squad for the Olympics. Tbh I don't think it would be fair if he was included based on what he did in London.

Is he even suited to 7's

• Advertisement

And after all that, he doesn't make the team. I wonder what the plan is now. Rugby League again?

Advertisement