Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have an Xbox One, I'm sorely tempted to buy a PS4, am I an idiot?

Options
  • 26-08-2015 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭

Actually have a PS4 + Bloodborne reserved in Argos for tomorrow and I'm almost trying to talk myself out of it right now. Bloodborne is one of the big driving points, as is Rocket League and all the other PS+ games I've added to my PS+ account over the last few months. The Last of Use is a bit of a seller and I have a PS Vita so the link-up stuff is great but most of my mates have an Xbox One so I'll probably still be buying multi-player multi-platform games there. So really I'm almost getting the PS4 for the exclusives which haven't been spectacular so far. Should I go for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

is the question are you an idiot for buying an xbox one in the first place ;)
    I think i know the resounding responce you will get in here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

If you can afford it and there a few games that you want to play then go for it.

Bloodborne is a good game, even though it isn't my type of game.

I use my Vita all the time for Remote play. I think I played through the majority of AC:IV using Remote Play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

If you can afford it then why not? You wont regret it, i moved over from xbox 360 and absolutely love it, left all my mates behind too haha still no regrets!

Buy the last of us remastered, amazing game and multiplayer is one of the best ever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Actually have a PS4 + Bloodborne reserved in Argos for tomorrow and I'm almost trying to talk myself out of it right now. Bloodborne is one of the big driving points, as is Rocket League and all the other PS+ games I've added to my PS+ account over the last few months. The Last of Use is a bit of a seller and I have a PS Vita so the link-up stuff is great but most of my mates have an Xbox One so I'll probably still be buying multi-player multi-platform games there. So really I'm almost getting the PS4 for the exclusives which haven't been spectacular so far. Should I go for it?

If you can afford to have both, go for it. I've both myself and to be honest I like them each for different games and exclusives and its nice to be able to have the choice and I expect the exclusives will get better. Very good list to come for 2015 :D I've been an Xbox owner since the original but it's nice to have the ps4 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Asking such a question in the Playstation forum is only going to get a 1 sided answer really...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Buy whatever all your mates have is the only correct answer any time this kind of question is asked.

Then buy a Wii U for all the excellent first party Nintendo games.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

You're not an idiot. I had a PS3/Xbox 360 last gen. Go with what your mates have I'd say.

However, the lure of Uncharted is really tempting a few mates of mine to make the jump to Sony. Seems funny to buy something solely for one game but hell if you have money to spare, why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I ended up getting it, €350 for the console with free Bloodbourne was too good to resist. Picked up Killzone for €15 too because I've always had a bit of a soft spot for the series. What's great is that because of crossbuy and adding the PS+ games to my account each month even though I didn't have the console, I instantly have about 30 games to download. I somehow have Journey and Flower free to download too for some reason which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 IrelandGuy

It's not the same but I switched from Xbox360 to PS4 a few months back and haven't looked back.
    Bloodborne alone makes it worth the jump!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Nah your not :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Welcome to the other dark side :)

Now how long before you'll ask "should i put in a larger HDD?" - Yes, when you're ready.

Hope bloodborne doesn't frustrate you too much, but if you enjoy it have a look for Dark Souls II, originally a PS3 but out now on PS4 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Taltos wrote: »
    Welcome to the other dark side :)

Now how long before you'll ask "should i put in a larger HDD?" - Yes, when you're ready.

Hope bloodborne doesn't frustrate you too much, but if you enjoy it have a look for Dark Souls II, originally a PS3 but out now on PS4 too.

Dark Souls 2 would frustrate a saint :D

Another frustration for the O. P. Will be that every time a game comes out, you will be checking which console it is better on :D when it's as good on either in most cases

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

If you can afford it then why not? You wont regret it, i moved over from xbox 360 and absolutely love it, left all my mates behind too haha still no regrets!

Buy the last of us remastered, amazing game and multiplayer is one of the best ever

You can pickup the last of us on cdkeys for like €12 absolute masterpiece

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

im the opposite to the OP, have a PS4 but finally thinking about buying an Xbox One but only for exclusives. Thinking about getting it with Gears Of War remastered, Sunset Overdrive and the Rare Replay collection.

As for the OP there are a few great exclusives on the PS4, but wish there was more of them. Bloodborne is an amazing experience, probably the highlight of the current gen so far. The Last Of Us remastered is also an excellent title to own and The Unchartered Collection is just around the corner. Driveclub is decent but im not a fan of the way it controls, it's very difficult!

forgot to mention that Resogun a PS4 exclusive is also a must-own title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Same situation here Gonzo, bought the One yesterday, check out the current Argos offers on the Xbox forum.

Got a bundle with Rare Replay and Lego Jurassic World. Use the 20 euro of vouchers against Sunset Overdrive, class game, loving the style.

Going back to the OP, if you can afford it why not, good exclusives on both and PlayStation Plus and Games with Gold are great.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I really want to play the remaster of state of decay , thats the only reason I can think of too buy an xbox 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

I really want to play the remaster of state of decay , thats the only reason I think of too buy and xbox 1.

I bought it for my house mate for his birthday after i constantly recommended it to him having played it a bunch on 360 myself.

The remaster runs significantly worse on XB1 than the original did on the 360, a borderline unplayable slideshow and it looks terrible to boot.

lawlolawl wrote: »
    I bought it for my house mate for his birthday after i constantly recommended it to him having played it a bunch on 360 myself.

The remaster runs significantly worse on XB1 than the original did on the 360, a borderline unplayable slideshow and it looks terrible to boot.

Aw thats a pity :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭SSLguru

Oh to have spare time to play video games all day

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭SSLguru

Those were the days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

If you can own both a PS4 and XB1 I say great. Best of both worlds.

Although exclusives are very few on PS4 at the moment and for the next while. Out of the few that remain there are some gems and the others are crap.

Innovation wise the PS4 has stagnated quite a bit while the Xbox One is bringing in FREE backward compatibility in a few weeks.

I am looking forward to The Last Guardian on PS4 but I'll have to wait a few years for it. I don't mind waiting.

If you can own both a PS4 and XB1 I say great. Best of both worlds.

Although exclusives are very few on PS4 at the moment and for the next while. Out of the few that remain there are some gems and the others are crap.
    Definitely, if you can own both, go for it.

I wouldn't worry much about the exclusives for each platform if you own both, but I would get a cross platform game on the PS4 - the vast majority just run better.*

I know better graphics don't make bad games better, but if you are constantly fighting graphical hitches, it pulls you right out of the experience.
    Innovation wise the PS4 has stagnated quite a bit while the Xbox One is bringing in FREE backward compatibility in a few weeks.

I am looking forward to The Last Guardian on PS4 but I'll have to wait a few years for it. I don't mind waiting.
    "Innovation" and "PlayStation" should never by used in the same sentence. Maybe even "innovation" and "Xbox". Personally, I believe the only true innovators are Nintendo (and formerly Sega).

I really don't understand this obsession with backwards compatibility. If I want to play an X360 game... I'll turn on my X360. Simple as. In a few years time, nobody will care about it. You still need the original disc to be able to play BC games, so you may as well turn on your X360/PS3, if only for the wave of nostalgia.

Other than that, I find myself in the reverse scenario... I own the PS4, and want to buy an Xbox One because all the cronies I used to game with were too afraid to buy a PS4, and I quite enjoyed playing with them (this FAILSAFE clown being one of them).

* Disclaimer: I don't own an Xbox One, but I am going on comparisons on Eurogamer and other sites

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The OP has resolved his dilemma, this thread has run its natural course :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement