Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical completion cert for extension?

Options
  • 26-08-2015 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Just seeking some guidance on the need for an ETCI cert for a small kitchen extension.

I'm currently having an extension done. Quite small, one story, no planning permission required. Basically bringing the kitchen out, sticking in a utility. The builder comes recommended, has good references, Master Craftsmen etc. and is working steadily and generally communicates with us very well and openly about all stages of the build.

On his original schedule he priced for a RGI cert and (obviously) structural compliance cert. I enquired by email about RECI membership of his electricians and an electrical cert. He replied that this was 'not necessary' but that I could ask for it separately from the electrician, who was a RECI member.

After that I forgot about it for a bit and this week asked if there was any chance of getting a cert. I trust him and his guys to do a decent job but I just want something to back us up for insurance, selling the house etc. When we spoke about it he said that the electrician had noticed some less-than-perfect existing electrical work (this is no surprise - we had an electrician in just after we moved in a year ago who fixed up a couple of outstanding issues and suggested a re-wire a few years down the road). It seems he does not want to stand over any issues of the existing wiring by certifying, although he could do this at a lot more time and expense. I suppose I get this: everyone is trying to cover their own arse, like me.

What I want to know is: can't they issue a cert for the work that they have done, regardless of what's there already? I see the phrase 'partial completion' thrown about... Would such a cert be worth anything? The builder says that things are safe enough for now but a re-wire within a couple of years is recommended (no idea when the last one was by the way). He also reckons the structural cert is fine for insurance. What do people think? Excuse the long post, I don't do concise.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I enquired by email about RECI membership of his electricians and an electrical cert. He replied that this was 'not necessary' but that I could ask for it separately from the electrician, who was a RECI member.

Electrical work for an extension should be certified. The electrical contractor must be registered with the either ECSSA or RECI. Once the work is completed the customer should be issued with an ETCI completion certificate.
    When we spoke about it he said that the electrician had noticed some less-than-perfect existing electrical work (this is no surprise - we had an electrician in just after we moved in a year ago who fixed up a couple of outstanding issues and suggested a re-wire a few years down the road). It seems he does not want to stand over any issues of the existing wiring by certifying, although he could do this at a lot more time and expense. I suppose I get this: everyone is trying to cover their own arse, like me.

The a REC (Registered Electrical Contractor) is not permitted to certify someone else's work (very limited exceptions).
    However it is mandatory for the REC should certify the work that he has completed.
    can't they issue a cert for the work that they have done, regardless of what's there already?

Yes, a cert should be issued for what is done. This shows that the work has been installed as per the "National Rules for Electrical Installations" (ET101:2008) and that it has been tested to ensure that it complies with same.
    I see the phrase 'partial completion' thrown about... Would such a cert be worth anything?

The cert is for the new work, not the entire electrical installation. It would be unreasonable to expect this REC to be held responsible for work that he was not involved in.
    The builder says that things are safe enough for now but a re-wire within a couple of years is recommended

With all due respect to the builder, unless he is a qualified electrician or is electrically trained he is not qualified to make an assessment of the electrical installation.
    He also reckons the structural cert is fine for insurance. What do people think?

I think that a home is the most expensive investment that most people make in their entire lives, therefore it would be prudent to ask the insurance company not the builder. In the event of a claim will he pay out if the insurance company won't ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

Your REC can issue a cert and stipulate exactly what he is standing over. He can also make comments on the cert that the existing building needs a re wire or issue a periodic inspection report for the existing.

Advertisement