Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Combined Car & Bike Insurance ?

• 26-08-2015 11:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if it's available ?
    I saw some company doing a multi-bike policy so it got me thinking, I can only use one at a time and it would be great if I could save a few quid.
    Planning ahead for next year :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

No insurance company in Ireland do this.
    The best you can get usually is a 10% discount with liberty on one policy because you have another policy with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

I got a discount with Adelaide by having a car policy ~10%

Didn't need to give any car policy details AFAIR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

slightly OT but what companies do the open rider policy where you can ride whatever bike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭gipi

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    slightly OT but what companies do the open rider policy where you can ride whatever bike?

AXA offer the 'easi rider' policy, which allows riders to ride other bikes, but it's only offered after a number of years (5 I think).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

My Adelaide (Cornmarket) policy has it on it - as standard I think.

b. Any other motorcycle, being ridden by the insured only with the owner's consent provided such motorcycle is not owned by the Insured not hired to him / her under a hire purchase agreement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Vikings wrote: »
    My Adelaide (Cornmarket) policy has it on it - as standard I think.

b. Any other motorcycle, being ridden by the insured only with the owner's consent provided such motorcycle is not owned by the Insured not hired to him / her under a hire purchase agreement.

I have that policy, I think. Doesn't cover test rides from dealers, which I verified with them. Only other people's bikes where they have insurance on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Must look into it! Would be handy to have for the spare bike! save me ringing up during the morning.

Hard to move away from Liberty though when its the cheapest around for me.

Must look into it! Would be handy to have for the spare bike! save me ringing up during the morning.

Hard to move away from Liberty though when its the cheapest around for me.

Assuming the spare bike ain't yours and is insured by its owner I think you're good to go on cornmarket.

I found liberty to be kind of meh once on a full license, and they don't do multi bike at all. Other insurers are happier to chop and change add-ons (I got a cheaper quote by taking off recovery and home start since I'm an AA member).

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

There was a lad on here a few months who was just getting into bikes.

His car insurance apparently covered him to ride any bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Give CN a shout.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Pugzilla wrote: »

Now that's interesting, I'm sure a car/bike policy would appeal to many
    Any idea who he was insured with ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,362 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

gerrowadat wrote: »
    I have that policy, I think. Doesn't cover test rides from dealers, which I verified with them. Only other people's bikes where they have insurance on it.

I've heard this before from people but who were never able to say why this is or where in the policy it says this.

"Any other motorcycle being ridden by the insured" is pretty clear. If there are conditions attached (like the bike not being owned by you) it would be there in black and white.

Or, turning this on its head, if I lend my bike to someone whose own insurance covers them to ride "any other motorcycle" and they crash into someone's car, it's their insurance who will pay out not mine, so why would my motorcycle need to be insured at all?

Scrap the cap!

mamax wrote: »
    Now that's interesting, I'm sure a car/bike policy would appeal to many
    Any idea who he was insured with ?

He mentioned the company. If you look back at the threads here you should find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

jimgoose likes this.

I've heard this before from people but who were never able to say why this is or where in the policy it says this.

"Any other motorcycle being ridden by the insured" is pretty clear. If there are conditions attached (like the bike not being owned by you) it would be there in black and white.

Or, turning this on its head, if I lend my bike to someone whose own insurance covers them to ride "any other motorcycle" and they crash into someone's car, it's their insurance who will pay out not mine, so why would my motorcycle need to be insured at all?

Yeah that's what I thought as well. The wording as I see it seems to be as long as someone else owns the bike (including a garage) you're golden. Your man on the phone seemed adamant that it was intended for borrowing your mate's bike, and even then on a comp policy you're only covered 3rd party. Not in black and white on the policy at all.

I guess like all insurance - doesn't matter what your reading of it is, if that's how they interpret it you'd better hope you have a fancier lawyer than cornmarket if you wanted to contest them on it. Them being an insurer, I'd imagine they have teams of lawyers whose job it is to not pay out.

If they don't intend it to cover some bikes not owned by you, then they need to say which ones :rolleyes:

I wouldn't put any store on what some minimum wage call centre guy says, either way.

Again I ask what possible difference does it make whether the owner of the bike has it insured or not. If I borrow a bike and crash it it'll be my insurer liable for any third party damage. I don't care about the comprehensive aspect as that's not a legal requirement to ride.

Scrap the cap!

Basically he was trying to pull a fast one, have his wife own the bike and him 'borrow' it

But then nobody would be able to tax the bike as there's no policy on it. And I know that car insurers treat a car owned by one member of a couple as if it's owned by both of them, so I wouldn't see 'borrowing' a bike from your wife as standing up as not owned by you.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

This is a big issue in car insurance. In my experience, if you have an open drive insurance policy, you can drive other cars third party, even if the other car is not insured, providing it's not in your name.

What you find is, the insurance will stand over someone stopped by the guards driving an uninsured car on open drive third party insurance, but if that driver is in an accident, the insurance company won't stand over the policy.

That would be the reason to have the loan vehicle insured.

Basically he was trying to pull a fast one, have his wife own the bike and him 'borrow' it

I always suspected he was full of sh!t.

infacteh wrote: »
    What you find is, the insurance will stand over someone stopped by the guards driving an uninsured car on open drive third party insurance, but if that driver is in an accident, the insurance company won't stand over the policy.

Either you're insured or you're not! If the insurance company says that someone is legally insured then they MUST pay out any third party claims. If the policyholder has lied, etc. to the insurer to get the policy then they can go after the policyholder for the money, but they MUST pay out the third parties affected.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

A little more info in their policy booklet - http://www.cornmarket.ie/uploads/9488_Motorbike_Ins_11-14.pdf

3. Riding Other Motorbikes
    If policy cover is Comprehensive or Third
    Party Fire & Theft, cover is provided for the
    policyholder only to ride other Motorbikes not
    belonging to you with the permission of the
    owner. Cover in respect of such a vehicle is for
    Third Party risks only. The policyholder must
    hold a full Motorbike licence and the insured
    Motorbike on the RSA policy must be over 351cc.
    Excluded is any Motorbike belonging to you or
    hired to you under a hire purchase or leasing
    agreement.

Advertisement