Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Maths

• 26-08-2015 11:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hey, I was wondering if someone could clear me up about applied maths. Long story short, I'm thinking of taking up 3 subjects and repeating them, 2 of them being Maths and Biology, from both of which I got a B3 at HL, now trying for A1/A2s. Thinking about my third option, I came across Applied maths but was a bit confused about it since I don't know anyone who has ever taken it..

So, do the courses of Applied maths and HL maths overlap a lot?
    Is the course the same, or if not, is it possible to cover it all as an external student working full-time?
    Is physics necessary to do well in AM, and how bad might it affect me having no experience with it bar JC Science?
    How harder is AM compared to HL Maths? Like would a B in HL Maths translate to a C in AM, or an A to a B, etc.
    Would anyone be able to get a HL A1/A2 in it, provided the person works hard ofcourse, or is doing well in AM reserved for "geniuses" only?

Thanks. :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,278 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If you do applied maths never put it on your cv, it's the lowest you can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Kayleigh..

That would be foundation maths you're thinking of.
    BlueWolf16 wrote: »
    Hey, I was wondering if someone could clear me up about applied maths. Long story short, I'm thinking of taking up 3 subjects and repeating them, 2 of them being Maths and Biology, from both of which I got a B3 at HL, now trying for A1/A2s. Thinking about my third option, I came across Applied maths but was a bit confused about it since I don't know anyone who has ever taken it..

Is the course the same, or if not, is it possible to cover it all as an external student working full-time?
    Is physics necessary to do well in AM, and how bad might it affect me having no experience with it bar JC Science?
    How harder is AM compared to HL Maths? Like would a B in HL Maths translate to a C in AM, or an A to a B, etc.
    Would anyone be able to get a HL A1/A2 in it, provided the person works hard ofcourse, or is doing well in AM reserved for "geniuses" only?

Thanks. :pac:

Well, I got a C3 in HL Maths (a very bad result for me, got an A1 in the pres, and an A2 in the mocks, messed up the paper cause nerves), an A1 in HL Physics and a B2 in Applied Maths.

In my opinion, Applied Maths isn't really that hard, it requires a lot of thinking, how to start the question, what your looking for, etc. It requires a lot of practice, like when doing exam papers I think I went back to papers from the 80's :o

Applied Maths has a lot of algebra and a lot of trigonometry, it's not difficult once you get the hang of it. All of the questions are usually quite repetitive so they become easy with some practice.

Applied maths is basically going in depth into the Maths part of Physics and apart from differential equations, simple enough algebra and trigonometry there's not much of an overlap between Applied Maths and the Maths course.

I think that Physics could help, but Applied Maths would help Physics more than Physics would help Applied Maths. If you get what I'm trying to say. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,278 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Oops assumed it was the maths part of an applied leaving cert...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

BlueWolf16 wrote: »

Honestly not that much! Some people think it's almost just like a higher higher level of maths but it's not! In all honesty it's almost like a study of Mechanics. It overlaps with Physics a lot but apart from basic maths skills (algebra, trig, geometry) and differential calculus, there's little overlap!

The course is definitely not the same as the Maths course. It's a short course though so I think it'd definitely be manageable in a year! There's 10 questions on the paper, you only need to do 6 but if you have time go for 7 in case there's a very tough question on the day!

Out of the 25 in my AM class only 13 of us do Physics and those of us who do are not much better at it than those who don't. It's probably a help having the overlap in terms of understanding but I don't think it really has much of an influence on how you'll do overall!

I don't think you can really compare them to be honest! It'd be like trying to compare Maths and Physics or English and Irish. Just because there from the same discipline doesn't mean you can just compare them like that.

It's definitely not just for 'geniuses' :p Anyone who puts in the work and has a good maths head should 100% get a good grade!

Best of luck with it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 chris241111

Ha Funny,I assume you are joking as applied maths is a very desireable subject for a potential employer as it shows you can problem solve :)

About applied maths, can be quite hard to get use to in the beginning...BUT after repetitive exam questions you could nearly say it is a doddle definitely doable

• Advertisement
Advertisement